01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

[NEWBIE] Hikvision DS-7616NXI-K2 compatibility and recommendations?

dqwafo

Hello everyone good day! I am planning to install CCTV on our house. I have been lurking and reading most all of the threads with regards to the decoders and cameras that is only available in our country that is not very expensive. Below is my plan setup and I am hoping that you could help me if there are incompatibilities with it or if you have better recommendations specially for the cams and POE Switch specs and cables and camera. Thank you. Another question is that is ColorVu whit light very noticeable when there are no other lights around? I just learned that IRs can't be seen with the human eye, is colorVu better?

Option 1
NVR:
Hikvision DS-7616NXI-K2
POE Switch: DS-3E0310P-E/M (8x10/100m POE, 2gbit uplink, 60w POE Power budget, 6kv surge protection)
Cable: Cat6e/Cat6a/Cat6 Outdoor
Camera:
4 x ColorVu DS-2CD1027G0-LUF 2MP Audio Bullet
4 x ColorVu DS-2CD1047G0-LUF 4MP Audio Bullet
(will replace some with dome/turret cams)

Option 2
NVR:
Hikvision DS-7616NXI-K2
POE Switch: DS-3E0310P-E/M (8x10/100m POE, 2gbit uplink, 60w POE Power budget, 6kv surge protection)
Cable: Cat6e/Cat6a/Cat6 Outdoor
Camera:
4xDS-2CD1023G0-IU(F) (Exir 2MP IR Audio, Bullet, Built-in Mic.)
4xNew Model HiWatch E-HWIB 2MP

Option 3
Camera:
Mixed ColorVu and Exir or Hiwatch cams.

Hi @dqwafo

All 3 of these options would work fine, there are no compatibility issues as far as I can see.

In regards to ColorVu, the white light is very bright and we often recommend that if you are installing a residential system the ColorVu cameras should only be used if you have lots of ambient light (e.g. street lights, security lights, etc...) in the scene so that the built-in white light can be disabled.

If the scene is pitch black at night with only minimal moonlight then we would recommend using IR cameras as they will give you a clearer image & more detail in total darkness than a ColorVu model.

Good day Phil!. That was very brief and informative.

I will be mixing IR and Colorvu in my setup.

I have a encountered a few confusions recently and would like to ask you if you could help me out.

1.) Is the 4mp Lite from analog cams/dvr different from 4mp of the IP cameras/nvr

2.) I added a list below of the items, my concern is that the POE switch has 65watts (7watts idle+58w) total use but my camera usage is at 56w (as per specs) so that would be 99% usage since the total POE budget is 58w, will it overload? and Does it mean that I can't add anymore cameras? unless I can change POE Switch?
Model NameWattage in SPECSNo of UnitsConsumptionTOTAL
NVRDS-7616NXI-K2 15115
StorageWD purple 10tb
(will use 4tb. Just maximizing stuff)
CameraColorVu 4mp
(not final camera)
POE SwitchPOE Switch DS-3E0510P-E/M L2 (
(7w idle, 65w max)
max port 30w, budget 58w.
90watts

Hi @dqwafo

The answers to your questions are below:

1) the key difference between 4MP Lite Analog and 4MP IP is that the Analog products require you to use traditional Coaxial cable (like your TV aerial) and all cameras have to be hard-wired to ports on an analog DVR (which means long cable runs), the IP products can be linked together using Cat6 network cable and because it is an internet/network based solution the cameras do not have to be hard-wired to the NVR and can be connected to a PoE switch/Injector elsewhere on the same local network as the recorder.

The analog products only really make sense if you are replacing an old analog system and have the cabling and other hardware already in place.

2) The PoE budget is pretty tight and that switch does only support 8 PoE ports, so if you were thinking of expanding beyond 8 cameras in the future we would recommend a larger 16 PoE Switch like the DS-3E0518P-E or you can stick with a higher PoE budget 8 port switch (like the DS-3E0109P-E(C)) and then just add extra switches when/if you expand the system.

Hello @Dan! Sorry for calling you Phil. I was confused.

Thank you for the recommendation.
While I was checking the units, some questions came into mind.
I am very sorry in advance for the a lot of questions.
I have failed so far to find the answers to the questions. I am looking forward to your help. Thank you.

1. As per website specs, DS-7608NXI-K2 has bandwidth of Incoming 80mbps and Outgoing 160mbps while DS-7616NXI-K2 has 160mbps for each incoming and outgoing. With the presented bandwidth, will both handle 8cams@4mp specially the 7608nxi-k2?

2. The camera DS-2CD1047G0-L/UF, as per specs, is limited to 4mp@20fps and 1080p@30fps. can the NVR modify it or boost it to 30fps?

3. Does the DS-2CD1047G0-L/UF a 4mp camera be set as 1080p?

4. 7616NXI-K2 and 7608NXI-K2 both have AI capabilities. Please refer to image below. As indicated, it has AI by camera and by Device? What does it mean? Does AI by device the AI offering of the NVR? Does AI By camera mean the NVR should those functions to make the camera work with the same function?

Screenshot_12.png

DS-2CD1047G0-L(UF) Camera has Motion detection, video tampering alarm, exception.​

Will the Events function of the actual camera get disabled and replaced by the Acusense function of the NVR specially with the facial recognition function?
If both the NVR and camera has the same AI capability, (Except the Facial recognition, Is it ideal to choose non-acusense nvr)

5. In the ColorVu camera, can I set the white lights to auto turn on when there is movement in pitch black or will the lights get always on?

I am very sorry for asking a lot of questions @Dan.

Last edited:
Hi @dqwafo

Don't worry about the name, I've been called worse :D

1) Both NVRs will be fine with 8 x 4MP cameras, the 4MP cameras will use way less than 10Mbps each (probably more like 5-7Mbps depending on the settings) so you won't come close to the bandwidth limits of either NVR.

2) The resolution and frame rate are handled in camera, you cannot increase the frame rate in the NVR settings.

3) Yes, the camera can be set to lower resolutions including 1080p.

4) In regards to "AI by Device/Camera", see this forum post. AI by Device is actually AI by NVR and that means that the AcuSense NVR can apply AcuSense features to non-AcuSense cameras like the ones you are looking at, but you can only apply these features to up to 4 x non-AcuSense cameras (if all 4 are set to 2MP).

5) The ColorVu white light will behave the same way as the IR light on the standard cameras, when the scene is dark enough the light will come on and stay on until the scene gets light enough for the white light to not be required. This is why we usually recommend only using ColorVu models in scenes where there is already ambient light (street lights, security lights, etc...) present in the scene so that you can disable the built-in white light.

Thank you so much @Dan ! Than enlightened me a lot.
Could I ask a question again?

1. I'm now looking for the cabling and PSU. The expected CCTV consumption would be around 90w (headroom) as per specs + 100-240v 30watt Monitor with a total of 120w. Is it possible for a 1500va to achieve hours of usage? Like in the image below?

Screenshot_7.png

2. When a UPS runs out of battery then the cctv system dies. If the power comes back and recharges the battery, will the NVR and switch automatically turns on?

Thanks @Dan <3

Hi @dqwafo

1) We really need to know the exact model of UPS you are looking at to provide a good answer, most 1500VA UPS support up to 900W but some can support more. Looking at the 'Backup Time' specs shown above I think this model is probably around the 900W mark (possibly lower) as it says it has a maximum backup time of 30 minutes for a low load. I think it is unlikely you will get hours of backup from this UPS model and you would probably need to look at much larger models with support for 1980W/2700W output to get close to 2hrs of backup.

See the below screenshot of the backup time possible from two 1980W & 2700W models that are outputting around 100W
Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 10.32.02.png

2) If an NVR has been 'force shutdown' by a power cut or the UPS running out of power then it will power back up automatically once the power returns.

Thank you so much @Dan,

I have encountered a new problem. I can't install a camera to a pole on the front gate because a neighbor said that as far as he knows, any device installed outside of the house down to a new elevated building should have a surge protector between those devices. So I looked up on the google to what he said and he was right and I just found out that power surge is one of the leading causes of cctv's getting destroyed by the lightning strikes. So I arrived to some questions that I hope you could enlighten me @Dan. The distance front our house to the gate is around 10meters (planning to burry the cables) and there is a very tall 90ft mango tree about 4 meters away from the 20ft pole. . and at the back is around 6 meters and i'm aerial hanging it using drop wire clamps since there are a lot of trees there, the cables doesn't have messenger by the way. I also have a 40 feet 2 1/2 pole beside our house that was used to hold an antenna before and now it just stands there acting like an arrester which grounds to our roof during lightning strikes (crazy).

1.) I will be using the DS-3E0310P-E/M (8x10/100m POE, 2gbit uplink, 60w POE Power budget, 6kv surge protection. Is it enough to protect my NVR? and I'm very confused on what to use on the other end next to my CCTV camera and what KV should I use?

2.) I am using cat6e CCA outdoor. Sadly I got the CCA version and not the pure copper. It's sufficient right?

3.) And will the UPS help in preventing the damage from lightning strikes?

Thank you dan.

The power potential of lightning strikes is enormous - essentially, if it hits, it destroys what it hits e.g. your camera atop its pole for starters! :(

Surge arresters are sacrificial devices i.e. they get blown-up by the strike, but prevent the lightning strike from proceeding further i.e. along the cable and into your home / network.

I believe that, if you feel there is significant likelihood of lightning strikes, then Best Practice would be to install lightning surge arresters at the camera end of any cables - to prevent the surge travelling through the network cable into your home / network and causing greater damage.

NB if you are using POE to power the camera, then you benefit from only needing a single surge arrester per camera (because you only have one cable).
If you use separate power & data cables, then each cable should be protected (a surge arrester in-line in each cable).

1. 6kV is probably OK - but bear in mind that the network switch will very likely be unusable after a lightning event.
2. CCA network cable may cause performance issues, especially with high-resolution network camera images.
3. A UPS will only help with limiting damage from lightning strikes if it specifically mentions that capability.

Coincidentally, the creator of the XenForo software that this forum runs on experienced a lightning strike to his home / network:

Pretty much anything that was connected directly to the 24 port switch also died, including the living room TV, every Apple TV 4K box in the house, two stereo amplifiers... I'm actually still building a complete list of all the destroyed equipment. Thankfully my workstation and home servers were connected to the 10GbE switch and survived.

Hello @Dan, I just got back from long travel. During that time I have already read your message beforehand and I apologize for the delayed response. I bought 6 Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 Ethernet Surge Protector for the 3 cameras for the 3 outdoor poles which is around 15meters away from the house. I also returned the cat6 utp CCA and will be ordering pure copper. I have a few questions @Dan,

1. I will be laying the cat6 cables mostly inside the ceiling, which is slightly infested with rats, to install 5 cameras on the soffit and outside wall of the house that would take around 10-20 meters of cable per camera. I will be only installing 2-3 cameras to outside poles for around 30-55m from the NVR, I'm just wondering should I choose outdoor or indoor type of cat6e pure copper cables?

2. If i'm going to use indoor cables inside the ceiling and outdoor poles should I use liquid-tight pvc-coated aluminum hoses flexible hoses?

3. If i'm going to use outdoor cables inside the ceiling should I use a recommended flexible hose of some type and is it required to use flexible hose/conduit for outdoor utp cables?

Thank you dan.

Hi @dqwafo

Rats are a big challenge, if you can't get rid of them then you would need to consider metal armour cable or there are some rat-proof cable options out there (they usually have shards of glass in the cable sheath to stop the rats chewing).

But for a residential install, both of these options are hard to work with/install, the more cost-effective option would probably be to just use indoor cable in the loft, outdoor cable for the pole-mounted cameras, and run all the cable through the conduit/flexible hose as you describe.

The most important thing with any of the above options is that where the cable, conduit, or hose meets the camera is well sealed because water ingress is the thing most likely to damage your cameras.

@Dan @Phil Thank you so much for this! We have a lot of rats and I looked for cables yesterday with glass shards in it but I failed to find one. I will probably enclose it with metal piles or some sort. Thank you so much. By the way I think these would be some of my last questions. Please help me out.
So these are the items I will be the build and I would like to have a clear man of it before I go out and get one. Since our house is near a lot of houses I opted for the 4mp and 2mp cams.

NVR:
Hikvision DS-7616NXI-K2 16-ch V4

POE Switch:
1. Hikvision DS-3E0510P-E/M (Unmanaged) (Gigabit)
2. Hikvision DS-3E0505P-E/M (Unmanaged) (Gigabit)

Cameras:
Hikvision DS-2CD1023G0-IUF EXIR 2MP Audio Bullet w/mic
Hikvision DS-2CD1323G0-IUF EXIR 2MP Audio Turret w/mic
Hikvision DS-2CD1343G0-IUF EXIR 4MP Audio Turret w/mic
Hikvision DS-2CD1047G0-LUF 4MP Audio Bullet ColorVu w/mic

Cables:
1. DS-1LN6U-G 305 m CAT6 UTP Network Cable (Solid Copper, 0.55 mm, Gray)
2. DS-1LN6-UU 305 m CAT6 UTP Network Cable (Solid Copper, 0.565 mm, CM) (Color Orange RAL2003)
3. DS-1LN6-UE-W 305m CAT6 UTP Network Cable (Solid Copper, 0.53 mm, CM) (Color White RAL9003)

Questions:
1. Based on the devices and specs presented above, the POE switches as you can see are unmanaged. should I get a managed or unmanaged POE Switch?

2. Based on the devices and specs presented above, Which should I get from the list of Cables presented above? I will be putting it outside too but with weatherproof conduits for pole mounting. Is 0.53mm solid copper sufficient? please consider I am planning to install a hikvision intercom from gate to house and will be enclosed with weatherproof conduits.

Looking forward to your response. @Dan @Phil

Hi @dqwafo

1) Unmanaged PoE switches will be fine for a residential system like this.
2) 0.53mm cable is fine, the 305m cable we recommend is also 0.53mm.

Also, don't forget that if you are running conduit up to the camera positions you will need brackets/junction boxes for each camera that have gaskets to accept the conduit, as explained in the earlier post the most vulnerable part of the cable run is where the conduit meets the camera so you have to make sure the connection is well sealed.

Hi @dqwafo

1) Unmanaged PoE switches will be fine for a residential system like this.
2) 0.53mm cable is fine, the 305m cable we recommend is also 0.53mm.

Also, don't forget that if you are running conduit up to the camera positions you will need brackets/junction boxes for each camera that have gaskets to accept the conduit, as explained in the earlier post the most vulnerable part of the cable run is where the conduit meets the camera so you have to make sure the connection is well sealed.
Thank you for the response @Dan, is there any significant advantage for the 0.53mm over the 0.55mm or 0.565mm?

Actually @Dan I bought the DS-1LN6-UU 305 m CAT6 UTP Network Cable (Solid Copper, 0.565 mm, CM) (Color Orange RAL2003). Should I return it to get the 0.53mm version?

What you have purchased should be just fine.

Back