01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Newbie - Network Traffic and Remote Backup

Dav55

Hi and thank you for allowing me to joint the forum.

I’m upgrading / tinkering my CCTV and have a number of questions.

Network Traffic.

If I am using a 16 Ch Hik NVR with say 12 two or four Meg cameras NOT connected to the DVR but through two GB switches (daisy chained) will I ever start to see network congestion and what would be the impact (poor recording quality / general slow network ??) is there a way to monitor the traffic – one of the switches is managed – but its not straight forward to me!

If I then use the HIk remote back up utility and run a daily back up over the network to a QNAP NAS (via a wifi connected PC) will this have a negative impact?

When running the backup from a local pc to qnap – is this in effect doubling the traffic and slowing matters? (is traffic coming from the NVR to PC and then back out to QNAP?)

Would I be better connecting the NAS direct to the NVR (how and what would then drive the backup?)

The purpose of the backup is to extend the numbers of recorded days stored and a bit of resilience

Is there a way to make the remote backup work on a MAC -I could then run the backup to that HDD

Programming

I've noticed that if I connect to the camera web page – I can access “expert mode” for motion detection.

This option is not available on the web page of the NVR.

What takes preference ?

Is the NVR basically an interface for the Camera or are the settings completely independent ?

Thank you in advance

Let me just respond quickly & simply to quell your network traffic concerns.
It won't be an issue.
Consider our office at use-IP as a working example.
Loads of the latest cameras on the network - many running at 4K resolution.
Lots of NVRs.
Multiple PCs, Macs and users 'on the web' all day.

And all that works without a hitch with a very 'vanilla' setup.
A PlusNet ADSL internet connection.
A gigabit router.
A 24-port POE switch (not configured - out of the box settings).
Many smaller switches and POE switches hanging off that network.

Plumbers' taps ...
But no issues.

For backing-up.
I would say experiment and see whether you find it worthwhile.
Bear in mind that in our sector that TeraBytes are the norm.
If you just wanted longer review periods, then I'd say put bigger / extra HDDs in the NVR.

If you are concerned that your NVR may be stolen, then maybe look at it's physical location, and perhaps make it harder to access e.g. install it in a locked cupboard, or install it in an NVR cabinet secure box made for the purpose.

I'd try to avoid backing-up to a NAS device via wi-fi if at all possible.
Bear in mind that fresh data is being fed into the NVR every second.
That the HDDs in the NAS probably need to be bigger than those in the NVR (it depends whether you are happy to overwrite, or want some kind of succession of copies / version history).
We've discussed many times here in the forum why it's just not practical to backup continuous recording to the cloud - just too much constant data.
Some NVR models will allow you to configure a RAID setup, but we tend to find that this option is rarely configured simply due to the significant loss of capacity of the HDDs from setting RAID up.

If you can respond here with the model number of the NVR, and the camera models where you'd like to know more about optimising motion detection setup, then I'm sure somebody will be able to offer some guidance on that for you too.

Let me just respond quickly & simply to quell your network traffic concerns.
It won't be an issue.
Consider our office at use-IP as a working example.
Loads of the latest cameras on the network - many running at 4K resolution.
Lots of NVRs.
Multiple PCs, Macs and users 'on the web' all day.

And all that works without a hitch with a very 'vanilla' setup.
A PlusNet ADSL internet connection.
A gigabit router.
A 24-port POE switch (not configured - out of the box settings).
Many smaller switches and POE switches hanging off that network.

Plumbers' taps ...
But no issues.
Thank you very much - appreciated.

For backing-up.
I would say experiment and see whether you find it worthwhile.
Bear in mind that in our sector that TeraBytes are the norm.
If you just wanted longer review periods, then I'd say put bigger / extra HDDs in the NVR.

If you are concerned that your NVR may be stolen, then maybe look at it's physical location, and perhaps make it harder to access e.g. install it in a locked cupboard, or install it in an NVR cabinet secure box made for the purpose.

I'd try to avoid backing-up to a NAS device via wi-fi if at all possible.
Bear in mind that fresh data is being fed into the NVR every second.
That the HDDs in the NAS probably need to be bigger than those in the NVR (it depends whether you are happy to overwrite, or want some kind of succession of copies / version history).
We've discussed many times here in the forum why it's just not practical to backup continuous recording to the cloud - just too much constant data.
Some NVR models will allow you to configure a RAID setup, but we tend to find that this option is rarely configured simply due to the significant loss of capacity of the HDDs from setting RAID up.
Thanks - that makes a lot of sense and agrees with my gut feel.

I was trying to set the Hik Remote Backup Software to run the previous days recordings and then overwrite them.

The main reason being that it would extend the days recorded for the odd occasion that I can be on holiday. (Note I haven't missed the fact that I would need to backup say the 7thday assuming I get 7 days recording) - I think extending the capacity of HDD is the way forward.
I also had a NAS that I could use and as ever cost is a factor.

Thanks Again

If you can respond here with the model number of the NVR, and the camera models where you'd like to know more about optimising motion detection setup, then I'm sure somebody will be able to offer some guidance on that for you too.
Hi The NVR is
DS-7716NI-E4 / 16P
V3.4.98 build 171121

The camera is
DS-2CD2342WD-I
V5.5.82 build 190909

When I access the camera web page I can change the motion to expert mode.

This isnt available on the NVR web interface.

Thanks in advance.

Hi The NVR is
DS-7716NI-E4 / 16P
V3.4.98 build 171121

The camera is
DS-2CD2342WD-I
V5.5.82 build 190909

When I access the camera web page I can change the motion to expert mode.

This isnt available on the NVR web interface.

Thanks in advance.
Hi @Dav55

I believe in your scenario with these older NVR/camera models, the NVR event settings would take priority over the camera event settings as the NVR is the device managing the recording/notification of events. I am not 100% sure about this though as the way the NVR & camera interact with each other has changed over the years and I can't remember if this was the case for the E-series NVRs.

Hi @Dav55

I believe in your scenario with these older NVR/camera models, the NVR event settings would take priority over the camera event settings as the NVR is the device managing the recording/notification of events. I am not 100% sure about this though as the way the NVR & camera interact with each other has changed over the years and I can't remember if this was the case for the E-series NVRs.
Thank you.

So is the NVR or the camera the "older" bit of kit?

As a general question, if you specify a setting - say the area for motion control differently - does the NVR take preference?

Both the NVR and cameras are older models, the E-series NVR was replaced by the current K & I-series NVR around 6 years ago and the 2342 was part of the R6 family of cameras (2x22WD/2x42WD) from over 6 years ago that was replaced by the G1 family (2xx5FWD/2xx5G1) and then G1 has been replaced by the G3/G5 families (2xx6G2/2xx7G2).

If you are recording by motion or sending event notifications from the NVR based on motion then I believe the NVRs motion settings would take priority.

Both the NVR and cameras are older models, the E-series NVR was replaced by the current K & I-series NVR around 6 years ago and the 2342 was part of the R6 family of cameras (2x22WD/2x42WD) from over 6 years ago that was replaced by the G1 family (2xx5FWD/2xx5G1) and then G1 has been replaced by the G3/G5 families (2xx6G2/2xx7G2).

If you are recording by motion or sending event notifications from the NVR based on motion then I believe the NVRs motion settings would take priority.
Many thanks for the information. Appreciated.

Back