01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

No live video on warm weather?

ARaS

Hi.

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2046G2-I (4MP) IP camera.
I use the camera with PoE and an SD Card for records.

The problem is, that the camera does not shown a live video on warm weather.
If the temperature is above 25 degree, the camera seems to be off.
You can also not reach the camera via browser.

But, when the temperature has fallen under 25 degree and the camera is reachable, you can see all the recorded events from the time, the camera seems to be off.

Anyone an idea, what this can be?

Thanks and regards
ARaS

I'd probably throw-in a temporary replacement network cable to the camera and see whether that resolves the issue.

I'd probably throw-in a temporary replacement network cable to the camera and see whether that resolves the issue.
We had tested the cable with an high end network tester. For me it seems, there is a bug with the camera itself. Maybe there is anybody in this forum with a similar problem!?

We had tested the cable with an high end network tester. For me it seems, there is a bug with the camera itself. Maybe there is anybody in this forum with a similar problem!?
Probably not in the UK as we rarely get 25 degrees C even in summer. However, I've never seen such an issue with any model Hikvision IP camera over the last 10 years even when we hit 37 degrees C during a heatwave a couple of years ago.

You may just have a faulty camera, but check the female RJ45 socket for any signs of corrosion as obviously to test the link with a network tester the cable has to be disconnected from the camera.

That's a strange one - I've currently got over 30 POE Hikvision IP cameras on two local nets and I've never ever seen a temperature related problem - Hikvision IP cameras normally run fairly cool. When the camera is not accessible, is it excessively warm to the touch? Having said that, I have had one camera that wouldn't power up at all over POE, but would do via its local 12V port, (indicating a fault on the POE converter). I sorted that out by just swapping the camera to a non-POE position.
You can't always rely on cable testers to give a totally accurate report if they just test continuity, especially on a cable carrying POE as it's not just the network parameters that can be affected by a cable that is too long, say, (how long is it?), or has an intermittent high resistance connection on the power pairs.
Like Phil, to diagnose the fault I'd make up a temporary Cat6 cable. If that still showed the problem I'd run a temporary mains power cable and use a 12V adaptor at the camera end to power the camera via its local 12V power port to see if the problem was still apparent.
I've certainly had lots of bad connections in the past from a bad bulk batch of rubbish Chinese Cat6 connectors - I threw them out in the end. It pays to be careful where you get them from.

Having said that, I have had one camera that wouldn't power up at all over POE, but would do via its local 12V port, (indicating a fault on the POE converter). I sorted that out by just swapping the camera to a non-POE position.

In 10 years of using Hikvision, I've had three failures of IP cameras - 2 were corroded female RJ45 sockets, so not a camera fault at all; the third was a PoE fault as you mention (just 6 months ago). The camera powered up via PoE when set up prior to installation, but failed just one day after installation and could only be powered using 12V. There's a tiny PCB in that bit of the camera lead where the pigtail splits so perhaps that's where it fails
You can't always rely on cable testers to give a totally accurate report if they just test continuity, especially on a cable carrying POE as it's not just the network parameters that can be affected by a cable that is too long, say, (how long is it?), or has an intermittent high resistance connection on the power pairs.
I'm assuming by the post by @ARaS that the 'high end cable tester' could be a cable certifier. If it is those certifiers check the pinning, length, continuity, NEXT (near end cross talk), FEXT (far end cross talk), skew etc and give a simple pass/fail; the cable is OK or it's not. However if it's just a fancy continuity tester with TDR then it doesn't show everything.

@bob bear and @JB1970 thanks for you answers. The tester which we had used, has tested the patency of the network cable and it seems that all wires are good. As I had also seen, the PoE light on the network switch was green (which means good), but the network light was flashing every ten seconds (which means not realy good). I will test it now with a temporary network cable.

Back