01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR in loft vs. upstairs cupboard, to use camera mounts or not, and Cat5e vs Cat6?

tld2004

Hi all
I recently invested in 6 Hikvison POE 4mp ColorVu camera setup and DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S NVR for my home, and I’m after some advice please before I install it.

1. Is it ok to locate the NVR in the loft or not? I have the option to drop cables into top of an upstairs cupboard and mount the NVR there instead but it requires a little extra labour time. Easiest option is to put NVR in the loft but I’m worried about temperature - as all lofts, mine gets roasting in the summer and ice cold in the winter. I’m lucky enough to have full Ethernet in the loft so either options work connectivity-wise just want to know what’s best for NVR performance, longevity etc.

2. I’ve seen the hikvision mounting bases (DS-1280ZJ-DM22). Even though I’m mounting the cameras under the soffits, will the mounting bases add any value, i.e. reduce nighttime glare from the soffits and improve viewing angle, or would you recommend mounting cameras directly to soffits?

3. Would you recommend Cat 5e or Cat6 cable between NVR and cameras?

4. As all cabling will be in the loft space and the cameras soffit mounted, there’s very little chance of cables getting wet etc - do I need external grade Ethernet cable between NVR and cameras, or will regular internal grade Cat 5e or Cat6 cable suffice?

Thank you

Hi @tld2004

answers below:

1. NVR in the loft should be fine, other users have installed them in loft spaces. You are right that loft spaces can get very cold/hot but the specs of the NVR state working temperature is -10 °C to 55 °C and if you are in the UK then it is highly unlikely the loft temperature will exceed either of those extremes.

2. The junction boxes are primarily for protecting the camera's RJ45 network connection if you cannot pass the camera's pigtail/fly lead (roughly 30cm) through the surface behind the camera. So, if you can pass that fly lead through the soffit and connect the RJ45 connection inside then the junction box is not absolutely necessary.

3. On a small system like yours there isn't really going to be a big noticeable difference between Cat5e and Cat6, but if it is a completely new system we would recommend Cat6.

4. External grade cable is only required if any of the cables will run on the outside of the property, if you are running the cable straight into the soffit behind the camera then internal grade cable will be fine as the camera RJ45 connections will all be indoors.

Back