01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR NTP settings for poe attached cams

mtv

I've have an NVR 7604NI-K1-4P(B).

On which i've selected timechecks via NTP.

84B4F310-FEB1-4E9D-A00A-F84884AA9EC0.jpeg

The camera's attached to the NVR get their own IP address 192.168.254.4/3/2. (3 cams total attached)
I'm not sure how to take care of the time-settings on the camera's as it seems that they are not able to "test" the connection to the timeserver. And i noticed that the cams are not equal present the time.

this is the setting on cam 1 (all others are equal)

3201563A-61F0-4BD8-BF7B-6DE2DF868B3B.png

8FEF5C37-A36A-4E80-9939-DBA3600973E3.png

How can i ensure that all cams are getting the right time from the NVR and how often is that being refreshed? Are those settings correct?

Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
I had the NTP time configuration "Test" button on my cameras working, but after I upgraded my router, something changed, and it no longer works for me.

You do need to check each camera's configuration/network/basic settings... IPv4 default gateway must be set (probably 192.168.254.1) and the DNS servers must be set... the camera will reboot if you change the default gateway... then try the NTP "Test" button again... if it still does not work it's probably something in your router/firewall like mine (I'm still trying to figure it out).

One other thing, I'm not sure but you may need a static route in your router to reach the NVR sub-net something like:

destination 192.168.254.0, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway (your NVR IP address)

Reactions: mtv
I had the NTP time configuration "Test" button on my cameras working, but after I upgraded my router, something changed, and it no longer works for me.

You do need to check each camera's configuration/network/basic settings... IPv4 default gateway must be set (probably 192.168.254.1) and the DNS servers must be set... the camera will reboot if you change the default gateway... then try the NTP "Test" button again... if it still does not work it's probably something in your router/firewall like mine (I'm still trying to figure it out).

One other thing, I'm not sure but you may need a static route in your router to reach the NVR sub-net something like:

destination 192.168.254.0, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway (your NVR IP address)
I’ll check the networkpart on each cam and will report.

@johnfitzy Can I just clarify your post as I have tried (and failed) to do what @mtv is attempting - to get the cameras on the internal NVR NIC to be able to access my network/internet.

In my case my NVR is on IP 172.18.0.10
And the internal NVR NIC is set to the default of 192.168.1.254

So cameras plugged into the NVR are assigned an IP in that range, e.g. 192.168.1.1 with a connect URL of http://172.18.0.10:65001

So if I logon to http://172.18.0.10:65001 and go to the network settings I see IP of 192.168.1.1 and subnet of 255.255.255.0

The default gateway here is blank. If I set it to something and click on save it asks for a reboot but then after a reboot it's blank again. So it seems you cannot set the default gateway to anything on cameras attached to the NVR.

I also tried some static routes but without any success/difference.

Reactions: mtv
@johnfitzy Can I just clarify your post as I have tried (and failed) to do what @mtv is attempting - to get the cameras on the internal NVR NIC to be able to access my network/internet.

In my case my NVR is on IP 172.18.0.10

So cameras plugged into the NVR are assigned an IP in that range, e.g. 192.168.1.1 with a connect URL of http://172.18.0.10:65001

So if I logon to http://172.18.0.10:65001 and go to the network settings I see IP of 192.168.1.1 and subnet of 255.255.255.0

The default gateway here is blank. If I set it to something and click on save it asks for a reboot but then after a reboot it's blank again. So it seems you cannot set the default gateway to anything on cameras attached to the NVR.

I also tried some static routes but without any success/difference.
I've the same experience, for some reason adding settings to the networkpart of the camera seems not to be saved after reboot. @codlord @johnfitzy

In my case the NVR has ip 192.168.2.125 and i can access the cams via 192.168.2.125:65001 etc. But for unknown reasons i can't get the NTP time from the NVR to the CAMS.

As your cameras are directly connected to the NVR, you do not need to set an NTP server on them as they have no internet connection.
This will also be why the "test" button isn't working.

You just need to set your NTP settings on the NVR as you have.

When you add or edit the cameras in the NVRs browser menu (System > Camera Management > Operation / Edit), make sure that you have the "IP camera time sync" enabled:

NVR Plug and Play cams time sync box.png

When I spoke to Hikvision about this before (about a customer whose camera times weren't properly syncing with the NVR), they also advised that it is best to set "manual time sync" on the cameras if they are directly connected to the NVR like below, as trying to set an NTP server may confuse them and cause the times to slip:

Hikvision manual time sync.png

@Phil thanks for the clarification. I note that the "IP Camera Time Sync." I think is set to enabled by default.

However, in my case I was trying to find a way to get ANPR cameras FTP functions to work when connected to the NVR. So far it seems impossible. If you use cameras direct to the NVR some of the functions (e.g. FTP) cannot work due to the camera not seeing the network/internet. When @johnfitzy suggested the gateway and static route I thought maybe that was a solution to fix that problem.

It seems strange for HikVision to supply NVRs which can support cameras directly but if you connect cameras directly some of the camera features don't work...

As your cameras are directly connected to the NVR, you do not need to set an NTP server on them as they have no internet connection.
This will also be why the "test" button isn't working.

You just need to set your NTP settings on the NVR as you have.

When you add or edit the cameras in the NVRs browser menu (System > Camera Management > Operation / Edit), make sure that you have the "IP camera time sync" enabled:

View attachment 7519

When I spoke to Hikvision about this before (about a customer whose camera times weren't properly syncing with the NVR), they also advised that it is best to set "manual time sync" on the cameras if they are directly connected to the NVR like below, as trying to set an NTP server may confuse them and cause the times to slip:

View attachment 7520
@Phil @Kyle

thanks for your reply and it seems to me now more clear that NTP will not work via the NVR. I'll look it up to see if i can adjust the settings on the nvr with the already added cams or add them again with the check box selected and within the cams I'll select the manual time sync.

Last edited:
When I spoke to Hikvision about this before (about a customer whose camera times weren't properly syncing with the NVR), they also advised that it is best to set "manual time sync" on the cameras if they are directly connected to the NVR like below, as trying to set an NTP server may confuse them and cause the times to slip
Hi @Kyle ... Thanks, I'll try that then!

Also, on the NVR GUI (also in the direct NVR interface) there is a "Time Sync Mode" section in system/maintenance/upgrade & maintenance... what do the buttons "Enable IPC/IOT Time Sync" ON/OFF do? It seems to be a new feature in the V4.60 firmware and the release notes state:

Support one-key time sync configuration
1. Time sync for all connected devices can be one-key enabled/disable
2. Both local GUI and WEB support this function.

Is this a setting that is saved, or does it just do a onetime sync?

Hi @corlord ... The internal NVR NIC default address is 192.168.254.1 ... I think?

In any case... my configuration is:

Router 192.168.1.1
Computer 192.168.1.99
Computer Gateway 192.168.1.1
NVR 192.168.1.4
NVR Gateway 192.168.1.1
NVR internal NIC 192.168.254.1
Camera 1 192.168.254.2
Camera 1 Gateway 192.168.254.1

With a static route (destination 192.168.254.0, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.4) added to the router I am able to gain web access from the computer to camera 1 with http://192.168.254.2 (of course http://192.168.1.4:65001 also works). I can also ping and trace route to the camera from the computer.

So, this works for some protocols, but maybe the NVR will not route other traffic like FTP... I will try enabling FTP on one of my cameras to see...

Hi @Kyle ... Thanks, I'll try that then!

Also, on the NVR GUI (also in the direct NVR interface) there is a "Time Sync Mode" section in system/maintenance/upgrade & maintenance... what do the buttons "Enable IPC/IOT Time Sync" ON/OFF do? It seems to be a new feature in the V4.60 firmware and the release notes state:

Support one-key time sync configuration
1. Time sync for all connected devices can be one-key enabled/disable
2. Both local GUI and WEB support this function.

Is this a setting that is saved, or does it just do a onetime sync?
I’ll check the time sync option in the mentioned section on the nvr gui. I couldn’t delete a cam to try the new add cam with the sync option. not sure if my gui shows that option.

I couldn’t delete a cam to try the new add cam with the sync option.

You don't need to delete the camera to set the time sync option. @Kyle states you can edit it and I confirmed this on my system (NVR interface and web GUI)... reread his post. Also, as @codlord mentioned, it is on by default when you add a new camera so you will probably find it is already set!

When you add or edit the cameras in the NVRs browser menu (System > Camera Management > Operation / Edit), make sure that you have the "IP camera time sync" enabled

You don't need to delete the camera to set the time sync option. @Kyle states you can edit it and I confirmed this on my system (NVR interface and web GUI)... reread his post. Also, as @codlord mentioned, it is on by default when you add a new camera so you will probably find it is already set!
@johnfitzy i do understand that deleting is not necessary, but maybe my version of the nvr software differs from yours. I'm version 4.30.085, i couldn't find the sync option when i edit the cam settings on the nvr, see below in cam settings or on the NVR GUI there is no "Time Sync Mode" section in system/maintenance/upgrade & maintenance .

9772D565-48E8-4DD4-968F-DB2EF3D5FD94.jpeg

1650952740308.png

Last edited:
My apologies @mtv - you're correct, I've just checked and the 7604NI-K1-4P(B) firmware does not offer the time sync option on the camera management page locally or in a browser.

This is only available for the larger K- and I- Series NVRs.

However, I imagine that if the cameras are inactive when you plug them into a 7604NI-K1-4P(B) then the times will automatically synchronise.

My apologies @mtv - you're correct, I've just checked and the 7604NI-K1-4P(B) firmware does not offer the time sync option on the camera management page locally or in a browser.

This is only available for the larger K- and I- Series NVRs.

However, I imagine that if the cameras are inactive when you plug them into a 7604NI-K1-4P(B) then the times will automatically synchronise.
Hi @Kyle, thanks for confirming, so i don't have to look further into settings. I tried to the synchronize, i had NTP active, but choose to try out the platform time synchronize, to see what the effect would be on time synchronization. So this could also be something that could help, I'll report back on my experience.

No need to apologize , i can imagine it is difficult enough to keep all those versions in mind, while Hikvision is not able to update versions on series at the same level unfortunately.

Let us know what you find :)
The time so far stays in line, but…… the notifications mention -1 hr, for example in notification there is a screenshot of the event which also reflects the cam time, 02.09.45 and notification mentions 01.09.45. I’ll guess that comes from the setting on the nvr to sync with platform.
5635BEE4-A708-4D5B-AEC4-9526B4D13AAF.jpeg

The time so far stays in line, but…… the notifications mention -1 hr, for example in notification there is a screenshot of the event which also reflects the cam time, 02.09.45 and notification mentions 01.09.45. I’ll guess that comes from the setting on the nvr to sync with platform.
View attachment 7525
@Kyle

have set it back to ntp time on nvr, as the 1hr difference couldn’t Be solved. To my understanding setting ntp in network on the nvr with 60 min interval check seems not to work. Last night due to set back a half hour time difference pops up, despite ntp that didn’t correct it. I had to change the time this morning manually on the nvr and had to reboot to be reflected on the cams ( which is correct if course), but whatever i put i ntp setting in interval, it doesn’t refresh time.

Back