01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can't get time sync to work on NVR?

BIGBOSS78659

Hi,

Just got my cameras installed, got two cameras on POE switch and I've set uk.pool.ntp.org as the ntp server and that sync fine however, when I do this on the NVR and the two cameras connected directly, the time isn't the same, it's 3 seconds off. I have LED light turn on at certain time and one turns on before the other, is there anyway I can get ntp to work.

Hi @BIGBOSS78659

Can you please confirm the NVR and camera models you have and what firmware versions they are currently running?

Thanks @BIGBOSS78659

Are all the time settings on the remote cameras and the NVR the same? (including server port, interval, and DST)

Thanks @BIGBOSS78659

Are all the time settings on the remote cameras and the NVR the same? (including server port, interval, and DST)

I tried both as if the cameras are connected to NVR directly, surely it would get the time from there as the cameras don't have internet connection. I've turned off DST on the cameras and enabled this on NVR and the NTP set as following

Server Address: uk.pool.ntp.org
NTP port: 123
Interval 30 mins

Network settings
Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
Alternative DNS Server: 1.1.1.1

Sorry @BIGBOSS78659

The wording of your original post confused me, I thought you were saying you have 4 cameras - 2 x directly connected / 2 x remotely to a separate switch - and you were seeing a 3-second difference between the direct & remote cameras.

Is it the case that you actually only have 2 cameras directly connected to the NVR PoE ports and they are taking the time from the NVR, but each camera is showing a slightly different time?

Sorry @BIGBOSS78659

The wording of your original post confused me, I thought you were saying you have 4 cameras - 2 x directly connected / 2 x remotely to a separate switch - and you were seeing a 3-second difference between the direct & remote cameras.

Is it the case that you actually only have 2 cameras directly connected to the NVR PoE ports and they are taking the time from the NVR, but each camera is showing a slightly different time?

Hi,

I'll explain. I've got 4 cameras - 2 x directly connected / 2 x remotely to a separate switch. 2x cameras connected directly to NVR are showing a different time 3 second difference between the two, I want the NVR to use NTP time so all cameras are the same, I noticed there are updates for the NVR and cameras available, should I upgrade?

Okay,

If the time is different between the 2 directly connected cameras then that sounds like it could possibly be a software glitch with either the NVR or cameras, we would recommend updating the firmware as small glitches like this can sometimes be fixed with updates.

Okay,

If the time is different between the 2 directly connected cameras then that sounds like it could possibly be a software glitch with either the NVR or cameras, we would recommend updating the firmware as small glitches like this can sometimes be fixed with updates.
Cameras have just been updated
Is Firmware V4.62.325_230810 compatible with my NVR?

Good,

You can try updating to that NVR firmware, the Hikvision product page says it is for the (E) version of your NVR model and your one might be a (C) model.

If your NVR doesn't support this firmware version you will just get an "update failed" error message.

Just stuck on upgrading 0%
Cameras have updated.
Is the NTP settings correct as I'm still getting the same issue

Your NTP settings look okay to me.

If you enable Virtual Host, can you log in to the directly connected cameras and check that the time settings are the same as the NVR time settings?

If one or both are set to something different it could be clashing/overriding the NVR time settings.

Your NTP settings look okay to me.

If you enable Virtual Host, can you log in to the directly connected cameras and check that the time settings are the same as the NVR time settings?

If one or both are set to something different it could be clashing/overriding the NVR time settings.

There is 8 second time difference between NVR and Camera. If I click test on NTP, it says If the ser use domain name, and didn't configure the DNS, the domain name may be invalid. I don't have the test function for NTP on NVR so can't confirm if it's updating the time using that.

Anyone have any other ideas, NTP is set on DVR, all updates applied but two cameras that are directly connected to NVR the time is not the same, they are 8 second difference, the two IP cameras connected via switch are syncing to the same NTP server with no issues?

Hi @BIGBOSS78659

Have a look at the below forum thread where another user has gone into lots of detail about different ways to resolve issues with time sync:

Anyone have any other ideas, NTP is set on DVR, all updates applied but two cameras that are directly connected to NVR the time is not the same, they are 8 second difference, the two IP cameras connected via switch are syncing to the same NTP server with no issues?
With regard to the cameras connected directly to the NVR. Are both channels set to Plug and Play?

When set to plug and play, time is synchronised from the NVR to the cameras by default. When set to manual (I set mine to manual even when they're plugged straight into the NVR) the time synchronisation from the NVR to the camera is optional (it appears in the pop up box when editing the IP address etc for the channel)

I'm wondering if one of the two cameras plugged into the NVR is set to plug and play, keeping correct time from the NVR and the other is set up manually and without the time sync option checked.

With regard to the cameras connected directly to the NVR. Are both channels set to Plug and Play?

When set to plug and play, time is synchronised from the NVR to the cameras by default. When set to manual (I set mine to manual even when they're plugged straight into the NVR) the time synchronisation from the NVR to the camera is optional (it appears in the pop up box when editing the IP address etc for the channel)

I'm wondering if one of the two cameras plugged into the NVR is set to plug and play, keeping correct time from the NVR and the other is set up manually and without the time sync option checked.

Hi,

Changed both to manual with time sync enabled, the cameras were syncing time for 20 minutes and now one of the cameras is a couple of seconds behind so it looks like this hasn't fixed it.

Hi,

Changed both to manual with time sync enabled, the cameras were syncing time for 20 minutes and now one of the cameras is a couple of seconds behind so it looks like this hasn't fixed it.
I take it they were both Plug and Play previously? It shouldn't matter so long as they're set to plug and play or set to manual (with the time sync enabled)

Next thought....

When you say the time is out, do you mean that you are seeing this on the HDMI connected monitor? If yes:
  • Bring all of the cameras up on the monitor/TV in a multiscreen image
  • Hover over the first camera image so that the menu bar is displayed and hover over the left/right arrow icon (Live view strategy)
  • Check whether it is set to Real Time, Balanced or Fluency
  • Repeat for each image
They should all be set to the same (balanced by default).

Back