01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Door Entry FTP and NTP not working with DS-KD8003-IME1 Door Station?

AndyB

Hi all - after working on this for ages I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of problems on a DS-KD8003-IME1 door station camera running firmware 2.2.62 build 23024. The door station is connected to a DS-KH6320-WTE1 indoor station running firmware 2.2.20 build 230601.

First issue is that FTP of images is not working (either motion detection, or snapshots of images taken when the call button is pressed). I have setup FTP on the KD8003 to point to a QNAP FTP server which is working successfully with another Hik camera. On the KD8003 Motion Detection is switched on, and the linkage method is specified as surveillance station. The QNAP is setup to support standard and SSL/TLS FTP, requires Unicode Support, and does not support Anonymous FTP (though this does not work either).

Second issue is that the NTP server is not working. Again, I have specified the same NTP server as the other Hik camera (0.pool.ntp.org), which is working successfully, and have tried others, but the time will not sync via NTP. I have also set the KH6320 to sync with the door station, but this doesn;t resolve the issue.

Can anyone help resolve the problems - or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply David. Yes, port numbers are set to the defaults as you suggest.

Thanks for the reply David. Yes, port numbers are set to the defaults as you suggest.
For the LAN side FTP are there any diagnostic logs you can check on the camera / FTP server. They may show why the protocol setup is failing.

NTP is fairly basic and I use the same site as you. From the camera, can you ping Google DNS at 8.8.8.8?

Have there been any changes to your router firewall / port forwarding?

When was the last time the camera was rebooted?

Check if the camera FTP / NTP ports are open for UDP / TCP / HTTP, this link may help Port Scanner. If you don't want to use the link, you should be able to check for open ports on the windows command line interface or macOS terminal.

macOS terminal for FTP nc -vz <cameraIP> 21

For NTP nc -vz <cameraIP> 123

I use Wireshark to troubleshoot network protocol problems.

I could be overthinking this and I may have missed something basic, hopefully the above will give you food for thought.

David

Thanks again David. Certainly plenty of food for thought there. I've not been able to find logs on the QNAP, and the KD8003 is pretty limited compared to my other Hiks. I will certainly work through the points though - leave it with me for a little while and I will come back to report findings.

Hi again David, thank you again for your help. I've worked through your suggestions.

Sadly there are no logs at all on the camera, and the QNAP doesn't have a log for FTP session setup.

I can ping the NTP (via WAN interface) and FTP server (LAN) successfully from the VLAN interface serving the cameras. This is consistent with the idea that my other Hik camera is working successfully, so there should not be any networking issues preventing comms.

I used Nmap to scan ports, I'm less familiar with this and may not understand the point you're making. Ports 21 (FTP) and 123 (NTP) are not open on the camera but I'm not sure I would expect that to be the case if the camera is not the server? UPNP is active on the Camera VLAN so there should be no issue with ports being opened at the router. Again, this seems to be backed up by the fact that the other Hik camera is working.

I used my PfSense to capture traffic from the camera. I cannot see NTP traffic being sent on port 123 (I set an update interval of 1 minute).

Interestingly, I set up Surveillance Station on the QNAP and although I can capture video traffic I am not getting any motion detection events being flagged. Motion detection events are flagged in IVMS though (I'm not sure which port would be used for this).

My inital conclusion is that the camera is just not sending NTP sync packets or motion detection events via FTP - don't know if you would agree. I've tried rebooting the camera but this doesn't change anything.

One point to add is that since the firmware update the camera is showing some odd behaviour when saving parameters (eg showing a message to say they have not been saved. Losing some configuration items after saving). Is it possible this is a firmware issue and/or should I factory reset and reconfigure after a firmware update?

Again, very much appreciate your input on this.

since the firmware update the camera is showing some odd behaviour when saving parameters
On your web browser clear the cookie cache for that cameras IP address and see if the problems go.

I'll read your post again later.

I also have an 8003 and use Synology as surveillance station, why dont you just use Qnap SS and capture motion from there? i do it too with SS on Synology, its far better than the motion on 8003 itself, too many false detections, i just set up the RTSP stream on my SS

Hi, thanks for the reply and that's a good challenge. I hadn't mentioned that the 8003 is situated remotely and I'd like to avoid streaming video over a VPN, which will eat the bandwidth. Which is why I'm interested in FTP of images (maybe in addition to local SS footage).

All that said, QNAP SS does work locally. However, the 8003 is not flagging motion detection events on the timeline, which makes life tricky. I'm wondering if there is a connection between motion events not being sent to QNAP SS, and motion events not triggering FTP.

Does your 8003 generate motion detection events on the Synology SS?

No, 8003 doesn't send motion detection to SS, it's the SS that detects motion...

In order to grab motion events coming from the 8003, it needs to be enabled first on the 8003 with ivms, maybe that's why it's not sending images through ftp ?

Do you use home assistant btw?

Hi, motion detection is enabled on the 8003. So if you're seeing events flagged on SS that presumably means I have a config issue on the 8003 - can I ask what firmware are you using?

I'm not familiar with home assistant, it's not in use.

Thanks for the input.

Also 2.2.62, but motion doesn't need to be enabled for SS, mine SS can trigger motion itself based on his internal detection on rtsp feed

Hi David. No it's not fixed. I cleared cookies and cache as you suggested but no joy. I'm still getting either Device Error or Parameter Error messages when I try to save settings. Most notably the device name resets to the default of Outdoor Station if I reboot.

I had same issues with ivms, ended up installing the same version on another desktop, and there it worked, very strange

Interesting thanks. I found a set of Hik notes detailing issues with an earlier version of IVMS and the 8003 (which doesn't have a Web browser interface so is reliant on IVMS remote config) which made me wonder whether that could be at fault. I'll take a look and see if I can downgrade. Certainly easier than resetting the camera...

you mean security 1.0 firmware? its not possible to downgrade anymore before 2.5.52 i believe, you will see it in release notes
it should work, i'm also running 2.2.62 , using latest ivms, but eventually it was a desktop issue, ivms was the culprit

Sorry, I was referring to an issue with an iVMS version. Now I look at teh note again I'm confused because it specifies iVMS4200 V3.7.0.5. Anyway, thanks for the pointer. I'll try a reinstall of IVMS and see where that gets me. Failing that I might look at a downgrade. I'll report back

Ah ok, yeah, for me installing ivms or changing version didn't work, not sure why, I ended up using it on another pc,... Probably some cache issue although I deleted everything, maybe an we component issue , I don't know...

I had even issues loading the config from my 8003, some pages were visible , some not, saving didn't work... And so on

Hi David. No it's not fixed. I cleared cookies and cache as you suggested but no joy. I'm still getting either Device Error or Parameter Error messages when I try to save settings. Most notably the device name resets to the default of Outdoor Station if I reboot.
Andy,
I am not familiar with these door cameras. Would it be worthwhile doing a factory reset followed by firmware reload or upgrade or downgrade?

I sense that you have two or three small problems giving an overall bigger problem.

David

Back