01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Onboard Storage or DVR/NVR?

zane

Hi

I need some advice related to storage for my 3-camera Hikvision PTZ (ds-2de5425iw-ae) setup.

I need to save the footage of all 3 PTZs from 10am until 6pm ONLY on a Saturday.
I also need to have the ability to go back to the footage during that 10am-6pm timeslot on any of the PTZs using the IVMS software or webpage/app Single view of all 3 Live cameras.
Once 6pm has gone by, I need to download the footage (of all 3 PTZs) to my laptop as mp4 files.

Is this best accomplished by using the onboard internal storage on the PTZ or using a DVR/NVR?

I would prefer to use the onboard storage as its only being used once 1 week for 8 hrs (max 10hrs).
I have no further use of the PTZs/internal storage for the other 6 days of the week.

Thanks
Zane

Hi @zane

The first thing to say is that from our experience there is no simple way to automatically download hours of recording either directly from the camera or from an NVR.

I think the best solution would be to use an NVR as the storage for all 3 cameras would be centralised and you can then login and download any footage you need, but it will be tricky to manually download hours of footage because from our experience the download time can be almost as long as the duration of the footage you want to download (e.g. 1 hour of footage can take 40min to an hour to download).

What you could do instead of downloading is just leave the footage on the NVR as the backup and access the footage from previous weeks when and if you need to.

8 hours of recording (10am-6pm) will use very little storage (slightly less than 100GB) and so even a 1TB HDD in an NVR would give you 10-12 days of recording and if only recording on a Friday that would be 10-12 weeks of backup.

Back