01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

POE Distance Issue

stelakoulas

So my problem is i am Using 9x Hikvision Hikvision DS-2CD1043G0-I & DS-2CD1343G0-I . To power them i use Ubiquiti POE AF 48VDC 0.32A.
Cable is Cat6 , i am using RJ45 plastic, Type B and all cables are tested 8/8.
Some cameras where their cable is 70m (maybe less) are not functioning.
When i plug the POE the LEDs turn on but i cant even ping the Camera.
If i use the same cable just for network and power the camera locally everything works fine.
Should i buy another POE injector?

Hi @stelakoulas

Did you or an installer cut/terminate the cable?
Have you tried connecting the cameras to the PoE injector with a short factory-made patch cable? Do you see the same issue?

I will say in the past (we haven't tested Ubiquiti for many years) we did have issues with Ubiquiti PoE devices because they didn't use the universal PoE standards and instead used their own, this meant they powered Ubiquiti devices without any problems but then ran into issues powering PoE cameras from other brands. I thought this had changed with newer Ubiquiti products but it might still be an issue.

If you try the above and it doesn't work then maybe try getting your hands on a different PoE injector that supports the universal 802.3af PoE standard.

I can echo the above having recently used some Ubiquiti stuff to create a wireless bridge - non-ubiquiti POE switches wouldn't power a Ubiquiti unit that could be POE powered, and a Ubiquiti POE injector that I had wouldn't run a camera. So from my own experience I'd say try a different brand - either Hikvision or TP-link (as I've used both successfully over long distances).

Reactions: Dan
Hi @stelakoulas

Did you or an installer cut/terminate the cable?
Have you tried connecting the cameras to the PoE injector with a short factory-made patch cable? Do you see the same issue?

I will say in the past (we haven't tested Ubiquiti for many years) we did have issues with Ubiquiti PoE devices because they didn't use the universal PoE standards and instead used their own, this meant they powered Ubiquiti devices without any problems but then ran into issues powering PoE cameras from other brands. I thought this had changed with newer Ubiquiti products but it might still be an issue.

If you try the above and it doesn't work then maybe try getting your hands on a different PoE injector that supports the universal 802.3af PoE standard.
Thanks for replying guys.

I terminated the cables.
Using Short Factory cable (for POE) and the same (70m) long cable for LAN works fine.
Cable has been tested and works (8/8).
It wont work as POE but only as LAN.
I even tried on a shorter cable (26m) and still wont work. Which i think it is not normal.
What worked for me was:
Used the Cable for each camera, Type B for the first 6 (as normal) then used Brown White & Brown attached to a CP1209-5A-4 psu (12v 5A 60W 4ch) to power the cameras. So i am giving them 12v. Now even the long distance camera (75m) works.
I totally believe it is the electricians fault.
I tried using my own cable from home (brand new, utp, cat5e), 75m & worked fine with the Ubiquiti POE.
So anyways i got a new problem now.
The cameras (all same model, DS-2CD1043G0-I ) are flickering randomly. They are randomly flashing (like there is a thunder in the picture).
Any ideas for that ?

Possibly the shutter speeds in tandem with the frequency of the ambient lighting? Is it something that only happens at night? Or is it day and night?

Back