01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Power consumption and noise reduction on DS-7608NI-I2/8P: DC Connector?

pomeroy

Hi. I read another thread on reducing fan noise on DS-7608NI-I2/8P and wanted to share some findings concerning POWER reduction as well as noise. Since the NVR is on 24/7 this is important to me.

In my installation, I do not use the PoE since cameras are on my main LAN and powered from a switch. With one HDD installed (WD red) I measure approx 19W mains power consumption. I have found that the unit runs perfectly happily with the internal 52V supply disconnected from the board and this reduces the power draw by approx 1.5W to 17.4W. Note, I already disconnected the 40mm case fan since this seems primarily intended to cool the POE components.

Using a clamp meter, I measure approx 890mA DC taken from the 12V rail. So, approx 10.7W only. On these numbers, it seems that the built in PSU (delta dps-200pb) is fairly inefficient in converting 230V to 12V at such a low current (approx 60%). So I am interested in replacing this unit with a silent fanless brick such as Meanwell GST60A12-P1J. This has a typical efficiency of 89% so potentially could save in the region of 5W and at the same time make the box silent (other than the HDD). 5W may not be much but it's 3.6kWh (about £1 at time of writing) per month.

Does anybody know the spec of the 6-pin power connector which carries the 12VDC from the PSU to the PCB? Based on googling it looks rather like a PCIE GPU power connector but not quite the same. I'd prefer not to cut the existing cable from the PSU and make an adaptor cable to the new power brick...

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240113_103500.JPG
    IMG_20240113_103500.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
So I can report - for anyone who might find this useful - that the connector is indeed very similar to a GPU PCIE connector and a suitable cable assembly can be purchased for a couple of pounds from Kenable or Amazon. I purchased a MeanWell GST60A12-P1J and the total power consumption is now only 11W. And it is silent.

Attachments

• IMG_20240120_173631.JPG
    IMG_20240120_173631.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20240120_173613.JPG
    IMG_20240120_173613.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
So I can report - for anyone who might find this useful - that the connector is indeed very similar to a GPU PCIE connector and a suitable cable assembly can be purchased for a couple of pounds from Kenable or Amazon. I purchased a MeanWell GST60A12-P1J and the total power consumption is now only 11W. And it is silent.
Thanks for the detailed post pomeroy, I am looking to do the exact same conversion.

Could you please confirm which connector / cable assembly you used to the connect the PCB to the new Meanwell PSU?

Thanks for the detailed post pomeroy, I am looking to do the exact same conversion.

Could you please confirm which connector / cable assembly you used to the connect the PCB to the new Meanwell PSU?
Sure.
The part I bought came from Kenable. Their part number 005393.
Cheers
Mike

Sure.
The part I bought came from Kenable. Their part number 005393.
Cheers
Mike
I might add. I snipped the end off this and soldered a coaxial power jack to that to match the plug on the Meanwell brick. You could just cut the meanwell connector off if you wanted to and splice the cables together.

I might add. I snipped the end off this and soldered a coaxial power jack to that to match the plug on the Meanwell brick. You could just cut the meanwell connector off if you wanted to and splice the cables together.
Thanks, Mike. Do you happen to have any sort of wiring diagram / guide on how the 6 wires from the PCB connector you mentioned (005393) connect to the coaxial power jack?

Many thanks

Hi there.
I’ve no diagram. What I did was operate the unit with the normal power supply before removing it and measured the voltage on each pin with a multimeter. From memory, the +12 pins are all commoned up on the PCB so you should just need to connect one +12 and one 0 wire to the coaxial jack. Again, from memory, what I did was connect all the yellow wires in the header to positive (central pin) of the coax and all the black ones to the outer. You’d be well advised to check this on your unit with a meter as I did to be sure first.

Back