01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Samsung SNF-8010VMP

rhughes

Hi,

I think that this camera is dead but before I go and look at buying a replacement, I thought I'd ask around just on the off chance that there is something that I can do to recover this camera. I have a Samsung SNF-8010VMP that I rebooted earlier last year and it never came back online since. I have recently removed this camera and tried resetting it... but the reset button doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried holding the reset button down for 15 seconds, 20 seconds and also tried holding the reset button down whilst disconnected from PoE and then plugging in whilst still holding the reset button.

If I connect a PoE injector and then connect the camera directly to a PC and give the PC's NIC a static IP of 192.168.1.50... I can then ping 192.168.1.100 which is the IP in which this camera gets when it can't find a DHCP server. I can ping the IP but I can't access the web interface for it. Trying to access the web interface just gives "Can't reach this page". I have also tried the Samsung IP Installer and this can't find the camera even though I can ping it. I also tried Wisenet Device Manager and like the Samsung IP Installer, this also can't find the camera on 192.168.1.100.

I believe that the camera is semi-functioning to the extent that it gets power, it can be pinged and has the usual working temperate of an IP camera. I feel like the firmware is somewhat corrupt or there is a failed chip on the motherboard. Is there anything else that I could try to attempt to recover this camera? I have opened the camera up and don't see any visual hardware damage i.e. bulging capacitors etc.

Cheers,
Richard

Hi @rhughes

Sounds like there could be a fault with the camera, the correct hard reset process is to hold the reset button on the camera down for between 5-20 seconds until you hear a click sound from the camera.

Are you able to plug that PoE injector into your local network (e.g. directly into a free port on the router or just to a switch on the network) rather than plugging it directly into the PC? There can be all sorts of issues & technicalities when it comes to trying to set a camera up directly connected to a PC and these issues may be what are stopping the camera from working for you.

Hi @rhughes

Sounds like there could be a fault with the camera, the correct hard reset process is to hold the reset button on the camera down for between 5-20 seconds until you hear a click sound from the camera.

Are you able to plug that PoE injector into your local network (e.g. directly into a free port on the router or just to a switch on the network) rather than plugging it directly into the PC? There can be all sorts of issues & technicalities when it comes to trying to set a camera up directly connected to a PC and these issues may be what are stopping the camera from working for you.
Hi Dan,

Thank you for getting back to me, I really do appreciate it. I had tried this previously, my switch has PoE but unfortunately the camera does not obtain a lease from the DHCP server when connected to the LAN (it falls back to 192.168.1.100 and the network in which I connected it to is 10.0.1.1/24). I have also tried with the PoE injector, to connect this to an unmanaged, non-PoE switch but I get the same result. Also tried with a router too with DHCP enabled. I have also tried taking PoE away completely and connect 12v with just ethernet. Doing that, the camera still doesn't obtain an IP and the reset button still doesn't do anything but I did notice that the camera does make the clicking sound only when I use a 12v adapter. There is no clicking sound when using PoE... but the camera does power up as I can ping the default IP.

I'm thinking this camera is probably bust unfortunately. I noticed a small coin cell battery on the motherboard which appears to have drained. I'm not sure of the purpose of this battery and if it is even worth trying to replace. I can only assume that it is some sort of CMOS that holds the date/time when the camera has no power?

Thanks again,
Richard

Ok, if you are connecting the camera directly to your local network and still not seeing it in the Wisenet Device Manager (the device Manager does often have to be refreshed many times before a device will appear) then it does sound like the camera may have a fault.

Ok, if you are connecting the camera directly to your local network and still not seeing it in the Wisenet Device Manager (the device Manager does often have to be refreshed many times before a device will appear) then it does sound like the camera may have a fault.
Yeah, connecting the camera to my local network via my PoE switch or even without PoE and using a 12v adapter - the camera doesn't get a DHCP lease and the camera doesn't show in the Wisenet Device Manager (even if I give the PC a static IP of 192.168.1.50).

I'm not an expert on cameras, my field is IT but I can't think of anything else that I can really do with this camera other than replace it. I think the main board has a problem or the chip that holds the firmware has gone bad.

In regards to replacing the camera, I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations? The Samsung SNF 8010VMP was a lot of money when I got it and if I'm going to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the image quality, especially when zoomed in. That camera was a 5mp camera, I was looking at the Ubiquiti Camera AI 360... but again, that's a 5mp too so worried that I'd end up having the same experience. I have also been looking at a HikVision DS-2CD63C5G0-IVS, which is a 12mp camera. For the exception of differences in file size for recordings, is there a noticeable visual difference between 5mp and 12mp?

Regards,
Richard

Hi @rhughes

As you are more than doubling the pixel count when you go from 5MP (5 million pixels) to 12MP (12 Million pixels) and you are still covering the same FoV then you will likely see an improvement in image quality with more detail over greater distances.

How were you recording the old Samsung camera? Was it locally to an onboard MicroSD card, to a Samsung NVR, or to a 3rd-party recorder/NAS/VMS?

Hi @rhughes

As you are more than doubling the pixel count when you go from 5MP (5 million pixels) to 12MP (12 Million pixels) and you are still covering the same FoV then you will likely see an improvement in image quality with more detail over greater distances.

How were you recording the old Samsung camera? Was it locally to an onboard MicroSD card, to a Samsung NVR, or to a 3rd-party recorder/NAS/VMS?
Ah perfect, I guess 12mp will be better, especially when it comes to zooming?

The old Samsung camera was recording back to a file share on a Synology NAS. The share has a 500 GB quota but that can be adjusted (2TB of free space currently unassigned).

Yes, you should be able to digitally zoom the 12MP fisheye camera slightly more than the 5MP model before the image becomes too pixelated to be useful.

I just wanted to check the storage option you were using as some 3rd-party recording options won't support all the functionality of fisheye cameras, but Synology should support most of the functionality of the Hikvision Fisheye camera.

Thank you for your help with this, I greatly appreciate it! I have decided to go with the Hikvision Fisheye camera. I just have one last question, the old Samsung camera, I have a mounting bracket which I believe is called a Inclined ceiling mount. This is on the wall to put the camera at an angle so that it has better coverage when wall mounted. I'm wondering if I need to get a new Inclined ceiling mount for the new Hikvision Fisheye camera? From watching videos of this camera, apparently it has to-edge visibility, so I'm not sure if I actually need to bother with an Inclined ceiling mount for this new camera?

Cheers,
Richard

Hi @rhughes

The datasheet for this fisheye model states that the DS-1281ZJ-DM25 is the compatible incline mount for this model.

I don't appear to be having much luck... I received the new Hikvision camera this morning but for whatever reason, the on-board speaker doesn't work. If I connect headphones to the audio out jack on the camera, I can hear output. I can't seem to find anything setting wise for audio output, but there is an on-board speaker. Audio in works fine from the on-board MIC.

Back