01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Transcoding Capability Exceeded Limit on 12MP DS-7616NI-M2/16P 16 channel NVR 16 port POE Hikvision?

Ultrabeat22

I have just picked up and brought online my new M-series NVR (12MP DS-7616NI-M2/16P 16 channel NVR 16 port POE Hikvision).

I currently have 5 x 4k Cameras attached to the NVR, but I cannot view more than one of them via the live view on the web client due to a transcoding capability error, which makes no sense to me as it worked fine on my previous NVR which was the DS-7608NI-K2.

I plan on adding more cameras in the near future so I would appreciate if anyone can advise why this would be happening on a newly released NVR with massive streaming bandwidth?

Thanks,
Ultra

I have just picked up and brought online my new M-series NVR (12MP DS-7616NI-M2/16P 16 channel NVR 16 port POE Hikvision).

I currently have 5 x 4k Cameras attached to the NVR, but I cannot view more than one of them via the live view on the web client due to a transcoding capability error, which makes no sense to me as it worked fine on my previous NVR which was the DS-7608NI-K2.

I plan on adding more cameras in the near future so I would appreciate if anyone can advise why this would be happening on a newly released NVR with massive streaming bandwidth?

Thanks,
Ultra

The NVR is transcoding your streams to enable viewing within the web browser but it's the web browser that won't be able to handle that. On your K2 it's probable that while viewing multiscreen in the web browser, that the low bandwidth sub stream was being viewed (the K series may not have even had the ability to transcode the way the I and M series can and so would've only shown the sub or main stream). I wouldn't expect a web browser to be able to handle multiple 4K main stream images concurrently.

You can switch off transcoding to avoid the above.

As you can see below - first image is from a K series and the second from my M series. The K series cannot transcode as it does not have the 'smooth streaming' feature. This has nothing to do with streaming bandwidth:
  • The incoming bandwidth relates to how much data the NVR can handle simultaneously from the connected cameras
  • The outgoing bandwidth relates to how much data the NVR can serve out simultaneously to connected clients
  • Transcoding is the ability of a recorder to take the main stream and re encode it on the fly, as it serves it out to a connected client. I imagine that recompiling multiple 25FPS 4K streams in real time is incredibly process intensive.
Transcoding is enabled by default but probably unnecessary in your circumstances so I'd just switch it off. It would be useful for someone who needed to see a main stream on a client remotely but didn't have sufficient bandwidth due to poor network conditions. That's similar in use case to Channel Zero - which recompiles multiple camera streams into a single channel low bandwidth 'multiscreen' stream.
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 14.35.12.png

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 14.34.20.png

Transcoding is enabled by default but probably unnecessary in your circumstances so I'd just switch it off. It would be useful for someone who needed to see a main stream on a client remotely but didn't have sufficient bandwidth due to poor network conditions. That's similar in use case to Channel Zero - which recompiles multiple camera streams into a single channel low bandwidth 'multiscreen' stream.
It seems as though 'Smooth Streaming' is something that is applied to the Transcoded stream. Disabling it does not change the selections available in the browser Live View (1 Main, 2 Sub, 3 Transcoded). So switching it off does not disable Transcoding.

@Ultrabeat22 - were you able to resolve this, via the web browser? I am in the same predicament as yourself. Turning off Smooth Streaming did not resolve it.

On the web browser GUI, I also saw there was an option to chose from 1-Main Stream, 2-Sub-Stream or 3-Transcoded Stream. Default is 1-Main Stream. I have also tried it in 2-Sub-Stream and 3-Transcoded Stream, however, no live camera is displayed on those two.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-01 093100.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-01 093100.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Sorry to bring up an old(ish) thread but as a new Hikvision user as of the weekend I'm experiencing the same or similar issue.

I have 4 cameras
2 x 4K (2387G2H)
2 x 2K (2347G2H)
Connected to a M Series - DS-7608NI-M2

All running the latest FW and the NVR is connected to a 1GB switch, same as my PC.

I cant 'live view' both the 4K cameras together (using a web browser) as main streams.
If I start to drop the 4K's to sub stream or transcoded stream I can get them all to display but wondering if I have configured this as 'optimal' as possible - I can live with if that's a limitation on using a browser but a couple of questions if I may :
- Any difference to web browser / plugins? I am using Chrome but did try Edge and got the same
- Are there any camera / NVR settings that I need to apply? Turning off Smooth Streaming didnt help
- My PC is due an upgrade, when live viewing 4 cameras the browser plugins thrash the CPU but not sure if it's the PC spec limitating this?
- Do people prefer / recommend iVMS over the browser for this / any other major reason
- Owt else which I may have missed gratefully received!

Hi @bigmick777

Can you please confirm the firmware versions your cameras & NVR are currently running?

Thanks @bigmick777

Those are the latest firmware versions.

Can you please confirm if you updated to those versions?
Did you see this issue before updating the firmware?

Hi - it was a new system installed over the weekend - all were not the latest versions hence I upgraded without doing much pre-testing so I can't say if the problem was there before. Apart from setting up things like platform access, events etc I havent tweaked any of the network settings, apart from turning off the smooth stream to see if it helped (as mentioned earlier in the post by others).

Thanks @bigmick777

I've discussed this issue with some of the technical team here and they say they have seen a similar issue before with the browser access.

They will do some further testing and we may need to raise this issue with Hikvision support as well.

In the meantime, it might be worth trying the iVMS-4200 software because in the past, when there have been issues with the browser access the iVMS software has been a more stable way to access the Hikvision devices.

I always thought error message was to do with the capability of the PC / browser - I've just tested our 7608NI/M2/8P NVR with multiple 8MP G5 cameras connected, and I can play all 4K main streams simultaneously as expected, so I still think it could be down to this.

However, I've asked Hikvision support who have explained it can also be caused by sub stream settings (I don't know if adjusting the sub stream settings will work in your case, but it's worth checking they're as Hikvision advise below, and also that you're using the browser plugin:

This error code is related to the sub-stream. Please have check the attached document. The example from the document is the same issue from a 9664NI-I8 NVR.
The solution is to configure all the camera's sub-stream below 2Mbps or 720Kbps. For the NVR webpage live-view, also please make sure the plug-in is running which will increase the PC decoding capability.
Perhaps try adjusting the main stream settings too (namely video quality, frame rate and maximum bitrate), in case that helps...

Attachments

• NVR webpage shows channels don't support sub-stream issue (2).pdf
    694.7 KB · Views: 47
I always thought error message was to do with the capability of the PC / browser - I've just tested our 7608NI/M2/8P NVR with multiple 8MP G5 cameras connected, and I can play all 4K main streams simultaneously as expected, so I still think it could be down to this.

However, I've asked Hikvision support who have explained it can also be caused by sub stream settings (I don't know if adjusting the sub stream settings will work in your case, but it's worth checking they're as Hikvision advise below, and also that you're using the browser plugin:

This error code is related to the sub-stream. Please have check the attached document. The example from the document is the same issue from a 9664NI-I8 NVR.
The solution is to configure all the camera's sub-stream below 2Mbps or 720Kbps. For the NVR webpage live-view, also please make sure the plug-in is running which will increase the PC decoding capability.
Perhaps try adjusting the main stream settings too (namely video quality, frame rate and maximum bitrate), in case that helps...
Looks that way - I dont have a problem loading all 4 x main streams in iVMS. My cameras are all set to constant bit rate so the video quality is fixed (greyed out) on Medium. The installer set it up like this and I will do a few tests with variable rate / quality.

Variable bitrate is usually best - when you test the different video settings, use the attached chart to set the correct maximum bitrate for your resolution / frame rate / codec combination.

Attachments

• H.2645-&-H.2645-Recommended-Bit-Rate-at-General-Resolutions.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 69
Variable bitrate is usually best - when you test the different video settings, use the attached chart to set the correct maximum bitrate for your resolution / frame rate / codec combination.
Thanks for your help and advice.

I've set all cameras (2 x 4k, 2 x 2K) as variable, quality=highest, 25fps. I have continuous recording and a 6TB drive so thought I'd try setting to highest initially.

The max bit rate is greyed out, understand that is because I am using 265+, although the number in the greyed out area is slightly lower than what the chart suggests :

4k's - 3840 x 2160 - chart suggests 8192 for 25fps, device config has it set as 6144
2k's - 2688 x 1520 - chart suggests 4096 fir 25fps, device config has it set as 3072

Interestingly it seems to auto set it against what the chart recommends for 20fps.

Cheers,

Back