01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Virgin Port forwarding hub 3.0

Not as clever as I thought.

Just visited my Son and it didn't work at his house. So it must be just on my Lan/Wifi?

Any ideas what I need to do?

I have a domain name/code should I use that instead of my DVR IP ? 9£$%^&&£$E .quickddns.com (not real)

Using DMSS app

No QR code either.

Do I need to port forward 37777 & 37778 ?

Last edited:
Hi

Changed DVR address to quick ddns one and rightly or wrongly port forwarded 37777 & 37778 and it all seems ok.

Even talked my Son through the set up and he can see it from his house so all good.

One little gremlin was not being able to add it to my Wife's iPhone again. It said it's already on this device.

I deleted the app and added it again and it went through perfectly.

Hi

Changed DVR address to quick ddns one and rightly or wrongly port forwarded 37777 & 37778 and it all seems ok.

Even talked my Son through the set up and he can see it from his house so all good.

One little gremlin was not being able to add it to my Wife's iPhone again. It said it's already on this device.

I deleted the app and added it again and it went through perfectly.
I think your DVR had 37777 and 37778 assigned to TCP / UDP, which is probably why it is working. Your next challenge is to get a router with VPN server and set that up.

Thanks David

How on earth do I set router with VPN server and set that up?

What will it do?

Something I need to buy or free d/loads?

Any best suggestions?

Thanks David

How on earth do I set router with VPN server and set that up?

What will it do?

Something I need to buy or free d/loads?

Any best suggestions?
Hi Steve,
Your current method of remote access, via DDNS, is not very secure. I'd go for a router that has a vpn server that you can setup, I use a Draytek router.

When I am away from home I always establish a secure connection to my VPN server, when connected I am effectively at home. Being connected to my home network also allows me to use my local network Pi-hole ad-blocking server as well.

If you're interested I'll see what the current options are for vpn routers. My own router is EOL and I really should replace it.

Hi Steve,
Your current method of remote access, via DDNS, is not very secure. I'd go for a router that has a vpn server that you can setup, I use a Draytek router.

When I am away from home I always establish a secure connection to my VPN server, when connected I am effectively at home. Being connected to my home network also allows me to use my local network Pi-hole ad-blocking server as well.

If you're interested I'll see what the current options are for vpn routers. My own router is EOL and I really should replace it.

Hi David

Does that mean I'll have 2 routers?

Yes I think I'm interested if it's safer.

Does that mean I'll have 2 routers?
You'll have 1 (new) router but the virgin hub3 router will be put into modem (bridge) mode and the new router wan port will connect to the virgin hub. The virgin wifi SSID settings can be setup on the new router, that way there's no hassle changing all your devices to a new wifi network.

Hi
Well followed a guy on YouTube and how to bridge 2-3 routers.

Don't mess about for weeks failing if you have a Virgin Hub3!

After an hour and a half and passed and sent from pillar to post today you cannot set a Virgin Hub3 to modem mode and expect it to let you set up other routers although the page lets you and Virgin can see you've been successful and can also set it for you.
You cannot connect to any other router unless you have a Business account and they have pressed the button at there end.

Back