01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which Hivision turret camera?

milleniumaire

I've now received some quotes for installing a CCTV system, but not sure about the choice of cameras that have been recommended and I'm considering installing my own system so I can pick and choose the components rather than having what the installer prefers.

One installer, who installs only Hikvision cameras, would install the following:

Hikvision 6MP full HD EXIR 2.8mm@F2.0 (DS-2CD2363G0-I black?)

(I tried to find a link on use-ip.co.uk, but was unable to).

This camera seems okay in terms of the resolution, but I think it may be quite an "old" camera.

I was thinking it would be better to get the latest camera from Hikvision that supports AcuSense, ColorVu and Live-Guard:

Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL 4MP Fixed Turret Camera with Live-Guard

My only concern about this camera is that it doesn't give 4K resolution, but I guess that saves on storage space and bandwidth!!!!

When comparing these two cameras, does 6MP trump 4MP or do the additional features of the 4MP make it a much better camera?

I confess that as an IT professional, I do have a tendency to want to go for the newest technology, but not sure I should in this case. Obviously an 8MP version of this camera would be "perfect", but that isn't currently available.

I would appreciate your thoughts on which of the two cameras is better, or are there other cameras that would be worth investigating?

Thanks.

Hi @milleniumaire

The choice of camera really depends on what purpose you are using them for.

The 2363G0 camera is part of Hikvision's EasyIP 2.0+ which is their entry-level range which is fine for basic continuous recording and streaming, but if your install location is going to require you to use smart events (e.g. Line crossing, intrusion detection, etc...) then the 2347G2 model is going to be the better option as its AcuSense technology offer more accurate smart event triggers.

You should also be aware that the 2363G0 uses IR LEDs for capturing black & white images at night, while the 2347G2 model has ColorVu technology which allows for colour images at night. The ColorVu camera does have a built-in white light to give clearer colour images at night, but if you already have ambient lighting from security lights or street lights you can disable the built-in light and just use the ambient light.

If the cameras are being installed on a home then in most cases you won't see much difference in image quality between the 4MP & 6MP over short distances (10-15m), over longer distances you will see more detail with a 6MP or 8MP(4K) camera. If you do want 4K then one option would be DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 8MP AcuSense Fixed IR Turret Network Camera With Live-Guard which has the AcuSense and Live-Guard features of the 2347G2, but not the ColorVu features (e.g. it uses IR LEDs like the 2363G0).

Back