01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Adding IP cameras installed by the previous home owner to my new DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR?

Nik12

Hello,
New here as i found Hik vision information useful on this website so want to add the issue i have and hope for resolution.
I have a hik vision dome cameras outside the house which was installed by previous home owner. He took the NVR and left the cameras so i bought new NVR ( DS-7608NI-I2/8P) thinking it will work once i configure the NVR.
Well, Surprise........
I configured and did everything on NVR and able to see the cameras are pulling PoE from NVR but nothing showing on the screen.
Now i am not sure what to do!!!
Is there something need to be done on camera or on NVR in order to make it work.
Is it password i need to reset on each camera?!?!
Any particular way i can make this work?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hi @Nik12

If the cameras were connected to the PoE ports on the previous owner's NVR then the cameras were likely activated with the old NVRs password.

Assuming you don't know what the old NVR password was, your only other option will be to hard reset each camera and they can be reactivated with the password of your new NVR.

Dan's suggestion is probably your most reliable option & will be 100% effective.
Depending on numerous factors such as how the cameras were previously set up &/or what cameras they are, there may be a couple of options which may or may not work for you.

Normally with the usual "Plug & Play" environment, cable connected camera passwords are NOT manually programmed by the Installer, but rather PUSHED to the Camera via the NVR, During the Activation process of the NVR.
The first thing you are prompted to do when the NVR boots up is "Set the NVR Password". There should have been an option requesting you to "Set a Channel Default Password"?
- From my understanding, this is the Password which pushes to Hikvision Protocol Cameras & it is suggested [& tech support instruction] to set this password the same as the NVR admin Password.

The Channel Default Password Option may not be available where the NVR does not detect connected cameras or hikvision protocol connected cameras. When you first powered up the new NVR did you Connect the Cameras to the NVR BEFORE Powering up the NVR or AFTER?
- My suggestion would be to connect them prior to powering on the NVR

As mentioned previous, performing a Hard Reset of each camera will be 100% effrective, however if you wish you can try the following TWO options before resorting to Hard Resetiing Cameras.

Both of these Options, Ensure the Cameras are Connected to the NVR First.

1. From the NVR GUI, Change the "admin' User Password. From the Menu Screen Click the "Settings Icon" > Click "User" > Highlight 1-admin > Click "Modify" & proceed to Change the NVR Admin Password. Prompts you will be asked once the new password is reset is "Duplicate the password to channel default password" & again for "Duplicate the password to IP cameras that are connected with default protocol" choose YES for both of these.

2. Factory Reset the NVR back to "Inactive" State & begin the Activation Process again [with cameras connected]. During the NVR Activation the above Duplicate Password Options should be Prompted, choose YES again.
To Factory Reset the NVR & return to "Inactive" State: From the Menu Screen Click the "Maintenance Icon" > Choose "Default" > Select "Factory Defaults" > Click "Yes" in the pop up. When the NVR Reboots you should be at the Activation Screen.

Failing this .......................... Hard Reset each Camera

Good Luck, I hope this helps

Gaz

Hi @Nik12

If the cameras were connected to the PoE ports on the previous owner's NVR then the cameras were likely activated with the old NVRs password.

Assuming you don't know what the old NVR password was, your only other option will be to hard reset each camera and they can be reactivated with the password of your new NVR.
Dan,

Thank you so much for quick response. Really Appreciate it.
I will do the hard reset on all 6 cameras and hopefully that will make it work.
Will keep you posted.
Once again. Thank you.
Dan's suggestion is probably your most reliable option & will be 100% effective.
Depending on numerous factors such as how the cameras were previously set up &/or what cameras they are, there may be a couple of options which may or may not work for you.

Normally with the usual "Plug & Play" environment, cable connected camera passwords are NOT manually programmed by the Installer, but rather PUSHED to the Camera via the NVR, During the Activation process of the NVR.
The first thing you are prompted to do when the NVR boots up is "Set the NVR Password". There should have been an option requesting you to "Set a Channel Default Password"?
- From my understanding, this is the Password which pushes to Hikvision Protocol Cameras & it is suggested [& tech support instruction] to set this password the same as the NVR admin Password.

The Channel Default Password Option may not be available where the NVR does not detect connected cameras or hikvision protocol connected cameras. When you first powered up the new NVR did you Connect the Cameras to the NVR BEFORE Powering up the NVR or AFTER?
- My suggestion would be to connect them prior to powering on the NVR

As mentioned previous, performing a Hard Reset of each camera will be 100% effrective, however if you wish you can try the following TWO options before resorting to Hard Resetiing Cameras.

Both of these Options, Ensure the Cameras are Connected to the NVR First.

1. From the NVR GUI, Change the "admin' User Password. From the Menu Screen Click the "Settings Icon" > Click "User" > Highlight 1-admin > Click "Modify" & proceed to Change the NVR Admin Password. Prompts you will be asked once the new password is reset is "Duplicate the password to channel default password" & again for "Duplicate the password to IP cameras that are connected with default protocol" choose YES for both of these.

2. Factory Reset the NVR back to "Inactive" State & begin the Activation Process again [with cameras connected]. During the NVR Activation the above Duplicate Password Options should be Prompted, choose YES again.
To Factory Reset the NVR & return to "Inactive" State: From the Menu Screen Click the "Maintenance Icon" > Choose "Default" > Select "Factory Defaults" > Click "Yes" in the pop up. When the NVR Reboots you should be at the Activation Screen.

Failing this .......................... Hard Reset each Camera

Good Luck, I hope this helps

Gaz
Gaz
Thank you so much for the well detailed camera password reset.
I will try #1 and #2 suggestions you mentioned. If none of these work then i will do Hard reset suggested by Dan and you.
Thank you so much for help and really apricate all the details.

Reactions: Dan
Dan,

Thank you so much for quick response. Really Appreciate it.
I will do the hard reset on all 6 cameras and hopefully that will make it work.
Will keep you posted.
Once again. Thank you.

Gaz
Thank you so much for the well detailed camera password reset.
I will try #1 and #2 suggestions you mentioned. If none of these work then i will do Hard reset suggested by Dan and you.
Thank you so much for help and really apricate all the details.
Gaz,

I tired #1 and #2 but no luck there.
Some of the observation from yesterday's troubleshooting,
Sometimes i was getting "Network unreachable" message on camera and i tried to change IP but no luck.
sometimes i was getting "The username OR Password are wrong" i already change the config to manual from Plug -n-play but it didn't change anything.
Also tried to do it from SADP tool as well as NVR config portal without any luck.
Not sure what is the issue here.
I tried to factory reset NVR for few times and set password for both NVR and camera.
Also, when i connected the cables to NVR and i checked the camera, they had red IR light up so cameras were getting POE for sure.
I will try to do hard reset this weekend as i will needed long stairs to reach 2nd floor cameras.

Thank you for all your input.

Back