01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Best cable for 802.3bt PoE?

Robertomcat

Hello, good evening.

Well, this post is really short. The only question is: what are the best technical characteristics for an Ethernet cable where it has to carry power over four 802.3bt PoE pairs.

Apart from the category, the thickness of the copper cable would also be important, but I don't know if the technical characteristic AWG is related to the thickness of the cable in total, or to the thickness of the copper. In total I will use 20 m of cable.

See if you can give me a hand. Thank you very much! ;)

Any standard network cable is fine for POE e.g. cat 5, 5e, 6, 6A etc.

Make sure that you use good quality copper cable though (some vendors supply cheap CCA Copper Clad Aluminium cable which can be a whole load of under-performance bother).

Any standard network cable is fine for POE e.g. cat 5, 5e, 6, 6A etc.

Make sure that you use good quality copper cable though (some vendors supply cheap CCA Copper Clad Aluminium cable which can be a whole load of under-performance bother).
Hello, good afternoon.

But this cable has to supply power through the four wires required for 802.3bt PoE protocol. Would it be advisable to incorporate a SFTP cable to isolate the power from the data as much as possible? UTP seems very basic.

As for the choice of cable, that's going to be a problem, because you never know what the quality of the copper is going to be, so I'm going to have to do some research. I've bought a cable before, and the copper wire was about the size of a hair's breadth.

Thanks!

The category grades are standards.
If the cable complies to the standard, and is from a reputable manufacturer it will be fine for POE.
No need to worry or over-think it.
Everybody is using POE via network cables :)

The category grades are standards.
If the cable complies to the standard, and is from a reputable manufacturer it will be fine for POE.
No need to worry or over-think it.
Everybody is using POE via network cables :)
Well, then I won't give it any more thought.

Which manufacturing company would be reputable? Thank you.

Is it correct to say no value in cat 6 between nvr and camera (domestic), as bandwidth not an issue on cat 5? Even for future proofing cat 5 is a long way from being a problem. I will use cat 6 between nvr and router.

Back