01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Blue Iris CCTV software user wanting to add off-site cameras?

Behr

Hello all.

I have been a frequent lurker on the forum in the past, having been a BI user for around 4 years or so. I have managed to research, set up and maintain my own 12 camera home system on Blue Iris using information I have found here and on the BI website and have never had to ask for external assistance - until now.

My home system consists of 12 Hikvision 4MP PoE cameras all hard wired and networked to a HP EliteDesk G2 with i5-6500 CPU @3.20GHz with 16GB Ram and on board graphics. It is running Windows 10 Pro with 2 6TB WD Pulple HDD which are continuously recording and manage around a week of storage. The CPU typically runs between 15-20%. I have a wall mounted monitor displaying all 12 camera sub streams permanently in my home office and don't run any alerts or routines. It is a nice system and works at fairly low resources and has proven to be reliable and relatively power efficient in my view.

The challenge I have now is that I have just bought a new garage building a few miles from home. I would like to be able to add four cameras to this garage - two inside, two outside - and have them display and record at home just in the same way as my home cameras. Now I am sure this is possible but I don't have much of a clue where to start.

Both properties have high speed fibre but do not currently have static IP's. Although I believe I can pay for this to be added as a feature. The garage currently has no hardware other than a fibre router.

So do I build another BI system at my garage or do I go for something else and port the cameras? Really, I don't know the best way to do this. I have no need to be able to view the cameras at the garage itself, so perhaps I just need four cameras and a POE switch? The only things I'd like would be able to go for night-time colour cameras (if they are any good?), and perhaps run a motion alert on the internal cameras.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Behr.

Hello all.

I have been a frequent lurker on the forum in the past, having been a BI user for around 4 years or so. I have managed to research, set up and maintain my own 12 camera home system on Blue Iris using information I have found here and on the BI website and have never had to ask for external assistance - until now.

My home system consists of 12 Hikvision 4MP PoE cameras all hard wired and networked to a HP EliteDesk G2 with i5-6500 CPU @3.20GHz with 16GB Ram and on board graphics. It is running Windows 10 Pro with 2 6TB WD Pulple HDD which are continuously recording and manage around a week of storage. The CPU typically runs between 15-20%. I have a wall mounted monitor displaying all 12 camera sub streams permanently in my home office and don't run any alerts or routines. It is a nice system and works at fairly low resources and has proven to be reliable and relatively power efficient in my view.

The challenge I have now is that I have just bought a new garage building a few miles from home. I would like to be able to add four cameras to this garage - two inside, two outside - and have them display and record at home just in the same way as my home cameras. Now I am sure this is possible but I don't have much of a clue where to start.

Both properties have high speed fibre but do not currently have static IP's. Although I believe I can pay for this to be added as a feature. The garage currently has no hardware other than a fibre router.

So do I build another BI system at my garage or do I go for something else and port the cameras? Really, I don't know the best way to do this. I have no need to be able to view the cameras at the garage itself, so perhaps I just need four cameras and a POE switch? The only things I'd like would be able to go for night-time colour cameras (if they are any good?), and perhaps run a motion alert on the internal cameras.

Behr.
Hello all.

Behr.
Hi Behr,
Fixed IP is not necessary as there are many free / subscription DDNS providers out there. I use the Draytek DDNS service as it comes with my router.

Any remote site needs a secure stable internet connection, if you want to use your home BI server to connect to the remote cameras maybe VPN server / client could be used. The VPN connection allows your home network to be extended to the remote site. If the internet connection goes down (it will) the server / client could be setup to automatically re-connect.

Back