01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

camera positioning guidance for my home entrance?

berojgar_admi

I am looking to install two ip cameras on the front gate.

Camera 1:
The way to my home main door is through the alleyway and distance from black gate to alleyway is 10ft in length marked in blue arrow and is 6ft wide(yellow arrow)
so I was thinking of installing camera 1 here to capture all person entering through black gate bcz I need face detection and recognition(height is around 8ft from ground).
How much MP and focal length should i go for here.
plz suggest is location is fine and whether to use dome or bullet since camera will be in shade.

Camera 2:
outside black gate to capture the road marked in red arrow and for detecting person and if number plate possible. So total distance would be around 25ft from camera to road(road is around 12ft wide) and height is above 10 ft.
plz suggest location and camera MP and focal length here.

also which PEO switch should I have giga uplink or normal uplink , I will be using acusense NVR 7608nxi-k1 with 6 cameras and will be connecting a router to one uplink for viewing live feed from anywhere.

ccc.png

Hi @berojgar_admi

For camera one, we would probably suggest a 4MP Bullet or Turret camera with a 2.8mm focal length as it will give you the widest FoV over such a short distance.

For camera two, we would first recommend mounting it further right (under the arch/window) as the position you currently have marked will have an obscured FoV. To cover the road we would recommend an 8MP bullet or turret with a 4mm focal length to pick up more detail over longer distances.

In regards to the PoE switch, for a system this size either type of switch will be fine but to future-proof the system we probably would recommend a giga switch.

Hi @berojgar_admi

For camera one, we would probably suggest a 4MP Bullet or Turret camera with a 2.8mm focal length as it will give you the widest FoV over such a short distance.

For camera two, we would first recommend mounting it further right (under the arch/window) as the position you currently have marked will have an obscured FoV. To cover the road we would recommend an 8MP bullet or turret with a 4mm focal length to pick up more detail over longer distances.

In regards to the PoE switch, for a system this size either type of switch will be fine but to future-proof the system we probably would recommend a giga switch.

Thanks @Dan

for camera one will a 4 or 6mm focal length give better picture quality as i dont need widest fov here just the view of person entering 6-8ft alleyway.
But is it true for short distance 4/6mm camera will obscure closer items?

For camera two i am also thinking for below window but worried about theft as someone can climb the gate and grab it.

for PEO i am trying to save some money here, just need a working PEO which can support two uplink one for NVR and other for router for internet.
So that 2 person can see live view simultaneously.

is hikvision line 2 series ip camera better line 1 series?

also do these cameras come with a fixed focal length or we can change through settings?

Last edited:
Hi @berojgar_admi

For camera one, we would still recommend the 2.8mm because although you might only need the gate to be covered if you narrow the horizontal FoV you also narrow the vertical FoV, so you can lose coverage of the space directly below the camera.

For camera two, below the window is the only position you will get any good images of car plates because the camera will be perpendicular to the road and so the plates will be much clearer (if you mount the camera in the original position the plates will be side on to the camera and/or obscured by the gate/wall).

If you want to keep the cost down then it will be fine to use a standard uplink switch.

We only sell 2-series IP cameras so we would definitely recommend them over 1-series, the hardware (chips, sensors, lenses, etc...) of 2-series models will be better than 1-series cameras so if you want to capture good detail the 2-series are definitely the best option.

Hi @Dan

for camera 1 i have decided to change the position, as mentioned that my main entrance door is through the alleyway.
the length of alleyway is around 10m (black gate to main entrance door) and width is 6ft so camera will be in middle of alleyway(i.e 3ft) and height would be 8ft.

also half of the alleyway is under shade and half in sunlight and camera will be installed in shaded zone.
at night the alleyway is complete dark.

plz suggest mp,focal length, bullet or dome here.

can we change hikvision camera focal length through settings?

the camera position are almost finalized will be buying this week and going for giga switch hikvison 3e0310p.

Hi @berojgar_admi

If you are going to move camera 1 further down the alleyway, we would probably recommend a 4MP bullet camera with either a 4mm or 6mm focal length.

The standard Hikvision bullet cameras have fixed focal lengths so their focal length/field of view cannot be adjusted, if you want to adjust the focal length/FoV you would need to choose a varifocal model but these would be significantly more expensive than the fixed focal length models.

Hi @berojgar_admi

If you are going to move camera 1 further down the alleyway, we would probably recommend a 4MP bullet camera with either a 4mm or 6mm focal length.

The standard Hikvision bullet cameras have fixed focal lengths so their focal length/field of view cannot be adjusted, if you want to adjust the focal length/FoV you would need to choose a varifocal model but these would be significantly more expensive than the fixed focal length models.

Hi @Dan

i have shortlisted two ip cameras for this purpose.
DS-2CD3051G0-I and DS-2CD2043G2-I
which one is better?

I needed face classification feature, so will be using acusense from nvr instead of cameras.

Back