01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can you pls help me access a Hikvision system I’ve inherited?

s_mobee

Hello. I’ve recently purchase a house that has a hikvision cctv system installed and I need help accessing it. There are five camera and an NVR.

I have never had CCTV before and am not very techy so I really hope someone here can help me please.

I’ve downloaded the hik connect app and tried scanning the QR code on the back of the NVR but of course the device is already registered to the previous owners acct. They are not responding to requests to unbind the device.

I tried the red ‘unbind device’ button in the app but it says “network exception….pls connect device and phone to same LAN”. I assume this means the house’s wifi? Of course we have just moved in and had new broadband set up they are not on the same network.

The previous owner had turned the system off and taken the power cables for the NVR and monitor but we got some others and turned it on and can see all five cameras working on the monitor but can’t access it on the app and can’t change anything. Any more worryingly the previous owner presumably still has access and can look at our camera feeds?

I did some Googling and found out about doing a hard reset on the NVR by pushing a button but I cannot find a reset button anywhere. I have taken the cover off the NVR and cannot see it.

Now for the bit where I’m sure I’ve gone wrong - I was looking around the menu options on the monitor and tried ‘factory reset’ (or something similar). The screen went blank, there was a beep, everything rebooted, but now I have a screen called ‘Activation’ requesting a password that of course I don’t have so now I’m stuck.

Can someone please walk me through what I need to do?

Thank you so much in advance for your help

Sarah

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 247
Hi @s_mobee

Unfortunately, most Hikvision NVRs no longer support a hard reset button.

The only way to gain access to this NVR would be to install the SADP Tool and extract a password reset file and try sending it directly to Hikvision support.

They don't usually support non-customers with password resets but if you can explain your situation they might do it for you.

If they won't do it, your only options will be to try contacting an installer who you can pay to do the password reset for you or purchase a new replacement NVR.

(FYI - Also be aware that if the cameras were activated by plug & play they will likely have been activated with the old password you don't know, so you will also have to reset the cameras for either scenario - NVR password reset or replacement NVR.)

If you didn't really want CCTV and have no experience with it, the easier and more cost-effective solution might be just to uninstall the whole system (or at the very least power off the NVR and just leave the cameras as a visual deterrent).

Thank you so much for your reply Dan and for explaining things to me. I did try calling Hikvision support but they just told me to get a local installer out. I tried contacting the one who installed the system for the previous owners as his details were on a sticker but he was really flaky and didn’t show up etc so not terribly helpful. Can I trouble you for a few more questions please….Can the existing cameras be used with any other system or only hikvision? Is there a cloud based option where we don’t need this noisy box in the corner of the room?

Hi @s_mobee

The cameras can be used with another Hikvision NVR or as ONVIF devices they can be added to a 3rd-party NVR/Software, but to do this you will need to move the cameras to a separate PoE switch and reset the cameras which could be difficult if they are very old models as they may not support a physical reset button.

Do you have any idea what camera models you have?

Hmm it’s starting to sound too technical for me! I had to google all the letters you mentioned! We would like cameras but it sounds easier and no dearer just to pull out the existing kit and put in an easy new system in like from ring.

Reactions: Dan
Yeah, it looks like quite an old, worn-out system anyway so it might not be worth the cost & effort if the hardware ends up falling shortly after you get it working.

A new system will probably work better for you.

Now for the bit where I’m sure I’ve gone wrong - I was looking around the menu options on the monitor and tried ‘factory reset’ (or something similar). The screen went blank, there was a beep, everything rebooted, but now I have a screen called ‘Activation’ requesting a password that of course I don’t have so now I’m stuck.
That screen you arrived at is the activation screen so you've successfully reset the unit and the password it's asking for is a new one that you create (not the old one that you didn't know). The only issue will be that you don't have the original password and that will be the same in the connected cameras.

So you can create a new password on that screen for the NVR, but the cameras will not recognise that password and will need to be reset.

I'd have to disagree to some extent that it's an old worn out system. While we cannot see the model number, the activation screen indicates that it has relatively recent firmware loaded (V4 as opposed to V3) and may still be updatable. The hard disk has a May 2020 manufacturing date so will have been fitted some time after that.

Thanks @JB1970

Apologies @s_mobee that was me being lazy/distracted this morning.

I scanned the original post and thumbnails but didn't see that last section about resetting from the direct monitor and didn't open the display thumbnail so thought it was just the login page.

AS JB says, you have successfully reset the NVR and can reactivate the NVR with your own password, but this will only reset the NVR password and the cameras will likely still be using the old password and would need to be reset if you wanted to access any camera specific settings or update camera firmware.

JB is also correct that the system is probably not super old, but what I meant by 'worn out' was that internally it looked quite dirty/messy but if you give it a good clean it should continue to work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
That screen you arrived at is the activation screen so you've successfully reset the unit and the password it's asking for is a new one that you create (not the old one that you didn't know). The only issue will be that you don't have the original password and that will be the same in the connected cameras.

So you can create a new password on that screen for the NVR, but the cameras will not recognise that password and will need to be reset.

I'd have to disagree to some extent that it's an old worn out system. While we cannot see the model number, the activation screen indicates that it has relatively recent firmware loaded (V4 as opposed to V3) and may still be updatable. The hard disk has a May 2020 manufacturing date so will have been fitted some time after that.
Thank you JB1970

You were right and I could set up my new password and can now access everything on the NVR monitor.

As predicated though the cameras have now lost their link. Does this mean I now need to hard reset the cameras individually? I’ve taken the back off the easiest one to reach and found the reset button. But everything I’ve read online says I also need to disconnect the power supply. How do I do that? The cameras just have one black cable that go straight to the NVR. Do I just unplug that?

Thank you JB1970

You were right and I could set up my new password and can now access everything on the NVR monitor.

As predicated though the cameras have now lost their link. Does this mean I now need to hard reset the cameras individually? I’ve taken the back off the easiest one to reach and found the reset button. But everything I’ve read online says I also need to disconnect the power supply. How do I do that? The cameras just have one black cable that go straight to the NVR. Do I just unplug that?
Yes the cameras will have to be reset. Your cameras are PoE so are powered using the network cable. Usually when I'm resetting cameras I'll remove it and use a 12V power adapter as follows:
  • Press and hold reset button
  • Apply power
  • Continue to hold reset button for 15 or so seconds
  • Release button
I've not previously done the above using the PoE connection at the camera but it certainly won't do any harm to try:
  • Disconnect the network cable
  • Press and hold the reset button
  • Reconnect the network cable
  • Continue to hold reset button for 15 seconds
  • Release button
That should reset it. Wait about 5 minutes and if the image comes back all is well. If it still does not come on after 5 minutes go to the recorder and unplug the camera that you've just reset and swap it with another. The NVR will see a different camera on the port and hopefully activate it with the same password you just created.

Back