01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV sensitivity - struggling to optimise it for hedgehog detection

enfield455

I have just moved up to an 8 channel DVR, (Analogue). My old 4 channel hybrid was used to monitor the wildlife in the garden and side passage. I used to pick up hedgehogs, my main interest. My 'Newer' 8 channel analogue can not pick up hedgehogs. Under infrared light, grey hedgehogs, grey path grey fence, nothing triggers motion detect.
I put the detection sensitivity up to maximum and got 390 triggers in 12 hours recording. I used to get 30 to 40 triggers. I have a lot of footage of moths in that number of triggers. I would be better off staying up all night and watching the monitor. Same cameras, but different DVR. My previous one was a Seculink hybrid, with a mix of analogue and digital cameras. My current one is an AV Sonic. Any suggestions as to what I could do to restore hedgehog detection? All the cameras are wired using an 8 channel balun and cat6e cable.
Could it be that there is insufficient IR illumination? OR, as my DVR is an older type analogue model, maybe it hasn't got the sensitivity in any case.
Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.
I am now thinking to change to an 8 channel hybrid and hang the expense.

Last edited:
Back