01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Change HikVision PoE Cameras to ONVIF?

DrWFan

My HikVision NVR stopped working (we had a power outage which seems to have blown the unit) so I decided to go with a different manufacturers NVR instead. However, I need to change the HikVision cameras to ONVIF mode.

I've tried following this advice, which doesn't work and found a bunch of other directions online which all say the same thing. Enter the IP address into the browser (I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Bing) and all that happens is that it times out and won't connect. I'm obviously very new to this - is there anyone who can point out what I'm doing wrong please?

Hi @DrWFan

What model(s) are your Hikvision cameras?
Were the cameras directly connected to the PoE ports on the Hikvision NVR?

Hi Dan,

Camera model is 2CD2365G1-I
The cameras were directly connected to the PoE ports on the Hikvision NVR. They are still working as I have since connected the cameras to a PoE injector + Wi-fi router and checked them with the SADP tool (and changed the passwords).

Thanks @DrWFan

Do the cameras appear in SADP with IP addresses that begin 192.168.254.xxx?
When you log in to the new NVR, what IP address range is it using? (e.g. 192.168.1.xxxx / 192.168.0.xxx / 192.168.5.xxx / etc...)

Do the cameras appear in SADP with IP addresses that begin 192.168.254.xxx? Yes they do
When you log in to the new NVR, what IP address range is it using? 192.168.1.xxxx

Okay,

So the cameras are still using the NVRs subnet range (192.168.254.xxx) which are the IP addresses they are assigned when you activate the cameras via Plug & Play.

This subnet IP range is not visible from your local network IP range (192.168.1.xxx) which is why you can't log in directly to the cameras.

To login to the cameras you will need to use SADP to change the IP addresses to the local IP range (e.g. change 192.168.254.2 to 192.168.1.2 / 192.168.254.4 to 192.168.1.4 / and the same for all the cameras).

You also need to change the gateway address of each camera from the subnet gateway to your local network gateway (e.g. your router IP address - you can confirm your router/gateway address following these instructions).

Once those network details are changed you should be able to log in to the cameras and enable ONVIF.

Fantastic - thank you for those instructions.
I've managed to enable ONVIF for all the cameras. Still need to get them to connect to the new NVR (there is some kind of error) but that can be tomorrows job.

Back