01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Choosing Switch for Acusense

ADRIAN

Hello,

Gained a lot of useful info here. Thank you.
I've learnt that an I series NVR works best with my 5mp acusense camera with strobe light.
Which switch do I need? Will the Value series switch work?

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

Hi @ADRIAN

There is no real advantage/disadvantage to which PoE switch you choose to use, for most small/medium residential & business systems the PoE switches only need to perform basic networking & PoE functions so an unmanaged value PoE switch should be fine.

The only thing to be careful of when looking a lower-priced PoE switches is that they actually support the requirements of your system, each switch has a PoE budget which is the maximum amount of PoE that the switch can supply to connected devices. You can check the maximum amount of PoE that each camera will use by checking the camera datasheets and then multiplying that by however many cameras you have to get the maximum PoE draw of all your cameras.

So for example, if you had 4 x 8MP cameras all drawing up to 10W each then you would need a PoE switch with a PoE budget greater than 40W.

Also, check the PoE standard your cameras use (most fixed cameras will use IEEE 802.3af standard) and make sure the switch you go with supports that PoE standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Dan! That is very helpful information. I have been enjoying your videos on CCTV basics.

Reactions: Dan
Back