01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Configuring cameras

Ironside

I am using a program called IVMS 4200, which I have installed on two PCs. It enables me to view all my IP cameras that are connected to my NVR box which is located elsewhere in the house. What I want to ask is if it is possible to configure the camera names from one of the PCs that has the software loaded. Or will I have to plug a PC monitor into the NVR and configure the settings that way?

Hi @Ironside

I believe camera name information is not shared between the NVR and iVMS-4200 because when accessing the NVR with a browser or direct monitor you usually set the displayed camera name under the image settings. When we have set these they have not been carried across to iVMS-4200 and so I think you will have to set the displayed names in iVMS manually by going to Device Management > Group > select your NVR, select each camera, and then click Modify and type in your chosen camera name.

If I go into remote configuration and then files in order to download a segment of video I am finding that the file number doesn't match the camera number on the main view. An example. I have a camera looking over my driveway. It says camera 05 on the screen. When I choose camera 05 from the drop-down menu it actually downloads footage from a different camera. There doesn't appear to be away to change the number of the file.

It took me months to work out that Hikvision camera names are kind of stored in at least 3 different places and all 3 of those places can have different names! My understanding is the 3 places to note are:

1) The camera name configured on the NVR.
2) The camera name configured in iVMS4200.
3) The camera name configured on the camera (on screen display settings).

Also (4) the device name under camera general settings but let's forget about that one as I don't think it's shown anywhere...

So (3) is set manually in the camera config.

(2) can be set manually within iVMS "Maintenance and Management" "Group" settings
OR
(2) can be set automatically by selecting one or more cameras in "Group" settings and clicking the "Update Resource Name" option at the top. That gets the camera name from the NVR into iVMS (and also appends the NVR name to the end of the iVMS camera name).

(1) I think can only be set manually on the NVR itself.

So, if you can't set the names on the NVR or don't want to bother you can just set them within iVMS but just note that those changes will not reflect on the NVR or on the on cameras on-screen display.

Back