01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Connecting Hikvision NVR and EE Bright Box1 router.

scooby73466

Centurion!
Trusted Member
My router stopped working and I had an unused EE Bright Box1 router that had never been out of it's box so I decided to use that as a replacement. I had somebody with me that did all the router connections which included my wired Windows 8.1 desktop, a wired standalone monitor, and a wired mobile 'phone signal booster (Vodafone Sure Signal) and also 2 iPads (obviously wi-fi) All of those things are working fine except that the NVR is not working on any of them except for the standalone monitor which, being wired, is working fine. The cameras are all working and the recording is working so nothing wrong with my Hikvision system.

I have the ethernet cable plugged into the NVR and into a LAN port on the router. I have tried the cable that came with the EE router but the problem is still there so it wasn't a cable fault. In essence. my router is not seeing my NVR. I can access the router via the IP address but don't know what to do when I get in there. Can anyone help me with this please ? TIA for any help or advice offered.

Last edited:
My router stopped working and I had an unused EE Bright Box1 router that had never been out of it's box so I decided to use that as a replacement. I had somebody with me that did all the router connections which included my wired Windows 8.1 desktop, a wired standalone monitor, and a wired mobile 'phone signal booster (Vodafone Sure Signal) and also 2 iPads (obviously wi-fi) All of those things are working fine except that the NVR is not working on any of them except for the standalone monitor which, being wired, is working fine. The cameras are all working and the recording is working so nothing wrong with my Hikvision system.

I have the ethernet cable plugged into the NVR and into a LAN port on the router. I have tried the cable that came with the EE router but that doesn't work so it wasn't a cable fault. In essence. my router is not seeing my NVR. I can access the router via the IP address but don't know what to do when I get in there. Can anyone help me with this please ? TIA for any help or advice offered.
Usually if you change router - like for like, or with the same service provider, you will continue to be able to view the CCTV while connected locally on WiFi, but possibly can't connect remotely anymore.

In your case, you can no longer connect locally. The first thing I would check is the IP settings.
  1. In the NVR menu > Network Settings - is the box ticked to get an IP address automatically via DHCP with the address details greyed out? If so, make a note of the greyed out address. That address will be different to what it was when it was connected to the old router and you'll need to update the address in your app to match the new one. If not.....
  2. The network setting in the NVR needs to match that of the router. If your router address is 192.168.0.1 then your NVR address needs to also be in the 192.168.0.xxx range. It's quite possible that your NVR is set with a static address in the NVR menu > Network Settings and if so, it may not match the new router. For instance if you access your router at 192.168.0.1 your NVR may have been set to match the old router and may be in the range 192.168.1.xxx. If so, you can either change the router LAN settings to suit or amend the IP address and the gateway address in the NVR to suit the router.

Usually if you change router - like for like, or with the same service provider, you will continue to be able to view the CCTV while connected locally on WiFi, but possibly can't connect remotely anymore.

In your case, you can no longer connect locally. The first thing I would check is the IP settings.
  1. In the NVR menu > Network Settings - is the box ticked to get an IP address automatically via DHCP with the address details greyed out? If so, make a note of the greyed out address. That address will be different to what it was when it was connected to the old router and you'll need to update the address in your app to match the new one. If not.....
  2. The network setting in the NVR needs to match that of the router. If your router address is 192.168.0.1 then your NVR address needs to also be in the 192.168.0.xxx range. It's quite possible that your NVR is set with a static address in the NVR menu > Network Settings and if so, it may not match the new router. For instance if you access your router at 192.168.0.1 your NVR may have been set to match the old router and may be in the range 192.168.1.xxx. If so, you can either change the router LAN settings to suit or amend the IP address and the gateway address in the NVR to suit the router.

Thank you very much indeed for all of that. In answer to your 1st point, the box is not ticked to automatically get an IP address via DHCP.

In answer to your 2nd paragraph I do not know if there is any kind of security issue with putting such information on a forum and so I will send you, via PM, a NVR>Config>Network image.

EDIT. I can't find a way to send you a PM. Is that not possible on this Forum ?

Thank you very much indeed for all of that. In answer to your 1st point, the box is not ticked to automatically get an IP address via DHCP.

In answer to your 2nd paragraph I do not know if there is any kind of security issue with putting such information on a forum and so I will send you, via PM, a NVR>Config>Network image.

EDIT. I can't find a way to send you a PM. Is that not possible on this Forum ?
No problem. Ok, so the likelihood is that your IP addresses aren’t in the same range and you just need to amend them in the NVR.

Example - if you’re accessing your router webpage at 192.168.1.1 and your NVR IP address in the settings is 192.168.0.??? - just change the 0 to a 1 for the NVR IP address and also change the NVR Gateway address in the same way (the NVR Gateway address will match the router webpage address)

You’re ok to post the 192.168 addresses of both the router and NVR here as they’re internal addresses and cannot be accessed remotely but best not to post screenshots containing the NVR serial number or the routers external IP address.

An alternative is to do it the other way around - it’ll be possible to change the routers LAN network to match the NVR.

No problem. Ok, so the likelihood is that your IP addresses aren’t in the same range and you just need to amend them in the NVR.

Example - if you’re accessing your router webpage at 192.168.1.1 and your NVR IP address in the settings is 192.168.0.??? - just change the 0 to a 1 for the NVR IP address and also change the NVR Gateway address in the same way (the NVR Gateway address will match the router webpage address)

You’re ok to post the 192.168 addresses of both the router and NVR here as they’re internal addresses and cannot be accessed remotely but best not to post screenshots containing the NVR serial number or the routers external IP address.

An alternative is to do it the other way around - it’ll be possible to change the routers LAN network to match the NVR.
Thank you for your continued help. I have attached an image that I have grabbed by going through Menu>Configuration>Network on my standalone monitor and then it shows my NVR IP at the top of the image and my router IP at the bottom. It isn't working when set like this.

Attachments

• Details.jpg
    Details.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 163
Thank you for your continued help. I have attached an image that I have grabbed by going through Menu>Configuration>Network on my standalone monitor and then it shows my NVR IP at the top of the image and my router IP at the bottom. It isn't working when set like this.
Can you confirm that you needed to change it to what you have shown? Was it as I thought 192.168.0.99 before the change? If you have needed to change it can you confirm which apps you are using on your mobile phone and iPads? - it will be either iVMS-4500 or HikConnect.

Once I know the above we can amend the site details in the app to match if necessary.

Can you confirm that you needed to change it to what you have shown? Was it as I thought 192.168.0.99 before the change? If you have needed to change it can you confirm which apps you are using on your mobile phone and iPads? - it will be either iVMS-4500 or HikConnect.
Once I know the above we can amend the site details in the app to match if necessary.
Thank you again for being very patient and helpful. I have attached an image showing the original settings. I have just tried to log in on my mini iPad and it says HiKConnect but for initiatty I would prefer to get the actual cameras, live and recorded view, etc. etc. on my Windows desktop pc which is wired to both the NVR and the router.

Attachments

• Details-old.jpg
    Details-old.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 143

Thank you again for being very patient and helpful. I have attached an image showing the original settings. I have just tried to log in on my mini iPad and it says HiKConnect but for initiatty I would prefer to get the actual cameras, live and recorded view, etc. etc. on my Windows desktop pc which is wired to both the NVR and the router.
Ok so that confirms (as suspected) that the old routers local network was 192.168.0.xxx and the new router uses 192.168.1.xxx

So the setup for getting the system viewable on your desktop is different to the phone.

Now that the NVR is on the same local network as your router, you should be able to access the NVR using your web browser on the PC by entering the IP address in the address bar - http://192.168.1.99 That should bring up a login page where you will use admin as the username and whatever your NVR admin password is. That will allow you to view live and recorded images. You can get additional functionality by downloading and installing the Hikvision iVMS-4200 software on your PC (if you haven't already got it). iVMS-4200 is not particularly user friendly. Try accessing the NVR from the Windows PC using the web browser initially; and let me know how you get on, as that will confirm connection is working before proceeding any further.

Ok so that confirms (as suspected) that the old routers local network was 192.168.0.xxx and the new router uses 192.168.1.xxx

So the setup for getting the system viewable on your desktop is different to the phone.

Now that the NVR is on the same local network as your router, you should be able to access the NVR using your web browser on the PC by entering the IP address in the address bar - http://192.168.1.99 That should bring up a login page where you will use admin as the username and whatever your NVR admin password is. That will allow you to view live and recorded images. You can get additional functionality by downloading and installing the Hikvision iVMS-4200 software on your PC (if you haven't already got it). iVMS-4200 is not particularly user friendly. Try accessing the NVR from the Windows PC using the web browser initially; and let me know how you get on, as that will confirm connection is working before proceeding any further.
I have added an image after typing in that IP address and logging in. It is nothing like the screen that I used to see when looking at my system. I think I must have been using the Hikvision iVMS4200 software prior to this time. I do have a folder in my Windows (C:) directory of my pc entitled iVMS4200 but it only contains 2 folders: Capture and Video and they only contain captured videos and images when I have used the facility to download them which was in in the bottom right hand corner of the main viewing screen or the Recorded screen.

Attachments

• Current login view.JPG
    Current login view.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 152
I have added an image after typing in that IP address and logging in. It is nothing like the screen that I used to see when looking at my system. I think I must have been using the Hikvision iVMS4200 software prior to this time. I do have a folder in my Windows (C:) directory of my pc entitled iVMS4200 but it only contains 2 folders: Capture and Video and they only contain captured videos and images when I have used the facility to download them which was in in the bottom right hand corner of the main viewing screen or the Recorded screen.
Ok so it's connected successfully. The ability to view using the web browser is dependant on having the plugin - you can download that and install it as per the prompt. It's also web browser dependant - some work, some don't (be thankful you don't use a Mac as the support for them is woeful!). Using the web browser can be convenient for simple viewing and playback along with configuration without using the monitor and mouse.

If you have those folders you certainly have (or have had) the iVMS-4200 software installed. Those folders are created automatically and just store images and footage that you save while using the software. See if you can find the application itself from the windows start menu and I can talk you through amending the address in the software to get it working again. If you can't find the software you can just download the latest version. It's here:

Ok so it's connected successfully. The ability to view using the web browser is dependant on having the plugin - you can download that and install it as per the prompt. It's also web browser dependant - some work, some don't (be thankful you don't use a Mac as the support for them is woeful!). Using the web browser can be convenient for simple viewing and playback along with configuration without using the monitor and mouse.

If you have those folders you certainly have (or have had) the iVMS-4200 software installed. Those folders are created automatically and just store images and footage that you save while using the software. See if you can find the application itself from the windows start menu and I can talk you through amending the address in the software to get it working again. If you can't find the software you can just download the latest version. It's here:

Thank you again. I seem to be losing the plot a bit ! Of course those folders are just storage folders, the program is in the programs folder, as shown below.
Apologies for that.
iVMS-4200 folder.JPG

With regard to downloading the plugin I have read that IE is the best browser to use. I actually use Firefox, Chrome, and Edge as my browsers but I still have IE on my pc if that is really what I should be using.

With regard to versions of the software I am currently using V3.4.106 Build191009. My Menu>Maintenance>System Info>Device Info tells me that this is the latest version. I discovered a couple of months ago that I was still on the same version as per the installation date and that was nearly 5 years ago. A very kind person on this Forum helped me to update but I managed to make a pig's ear of that process and had to get it sorted out !

I have also attached an image of what my interface looks like on my pc with camera names etc. hidden.. Obviously there are error codes where the cameras should be. I only have three cameras, one of them being a PTZ which I can manipulate once I have double clicked on that camera and then clicked on the PTZ icon.
iVMS front screen.JPG

Thank you again. I seem to be losing the plot a bit ! Of course those folders are just storage folders, the program is in the programs folder, as shown below.
Apologies for that.
View attachment 6245

With regard to downloading the plugin I have read that IE is the best browser to use. I actually use Firefox, Chrome, and Edge as my browsers but I still have IE on my pc if that is really what I should be using.

With regard to versions of the software I am currently using V3.4.106 Build191009. My Menu>Maintenance>System Info>Device Info tells me that this is the latest version. I discovered a couple of months ago that I was still on the same version as per the installation date and that was nearly 5 years ago. A very kind person on this Forum helped me to update but I managed to make a pig's ear of that process and had to get it sorted out !

I have also attached an image of what my interface looks like on my pc with camera names etc. hidden.. Obviously there are error codes where the cameras should be. I only have three cameras, one of them being a PTZ which I can manipulate once I have double clicked on that camera and then clicked on the PTZ icon.
View attachment 6247
You just need to go into the Device Management tab at the top right of your screenshot. The software will be expecting to find your NVR at its old address 192.168.0.99. Select the NVR in that page and alter the address to the new one 192.168.1.99 and you’ll be back up and running (locally). You will see your device in the top panel of the page - either double click the line or highlight it and click modify to bring up the properties box for the connection - then just alter the one digit in the IP address from 0 to 1 and Save/Apply. Screenshots of mine below - though yours may appear different as my software is the Mac version:

Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 16.19.14.png
Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 16.19.32.png

Last edited:
You just need to go into the Device Management tab at the top right of your screenshot. The software will be expecting to find your NVR at its old address 192.168.0.99. Select the NVR in that page and alter the address to the new one 192.168.1.99 and you’ll be back up and running (locally). You will see your device in the top panel of the page - either double click the line or highlight it and click modify to bring up the properties box for the connection - then just alter the one digit in the IP address from 0 to 1 and Save/Apply. Screenshots of mine below - though yours may appear different as my software is the Mac version:

View attachment 6248
View attachment 6249
You Sir are a star.:):):). I have now got things working on my pc like they used to Still can't get the iPads to work but I ought to let you have the rest of the weekend off. Thank you very much. If you ever want to know how to lamb a ewe, plough a field, or set a combine harvester then come back to me.

You Sir are a star.:):):). I have now got things working on my pc like they used to Still can't get the iPads to work but I ought to let you have the rest of the weekend off. Thank you very much. If you ever want to know how to lamb a ewe, plough a field, or set a combine harvester then come back to me.
No problem. Having watched Clarksons Farm recently I think I'm good! (though I'd hazard a guess you're a little more experienced than that fool)

With regard to the phone/iPad app - the setup (and what's needed to correct yours) differs depending on how it was set up originally. There are two main ways the connection can be made in the HikConnect app:

1 - Using the IP address of the recorder along with the recorder username and password. With this method you don't need to be logged in to the app - the connection is "direct". There may be two entries one for when you're home on WiFi and another for mobile.
2 - Having the recorder registered with the HikConnect service. With this method you must be logged in to the app as the connection is managed by Hikvisions free service.

To check how yours is setup you can open the iPad/phone app and you'll see a small hexagon shaped icon to the right of your device - click that and it will open a page.

If that pages headings are "Adding Type", "Alias", "Address" and so on, you're using method 1 above and all you need do is - click the pencil icon in the top right corner, change the incorrect digit in the "Address" field and click the save icon in the top right corner. If it is set that way you may have two entries in the app one for when you are on your home network and another for when you are remote. Make sure you only amend the entry using the 192.168 address.

If that pages headings are "Linked Camera", "Notification", "Storage Status" and so on, you're using method 2 above. In that instance there are a few things that could be causing it.

Once I know which way it's currently setup I can help further.

No problem. Having watched Clarksons Farm recently I think I'm good! (though I'd hazard a guess you're a little more experienced than that fool)

With regard to the phone/iPad app - the setup (and what's needed to correct yours) differs depending on how it was set up originally. There are two main ways the connection can be made in the HikConnect app:

1 - Using the IP address of the recorder along with the recorder username and password. With this method you don't need to be logged in to the app - the connection is "direct". There may be two entries one for when you're home on WiFi and another for mobile.
2 - Having the recorder registered with the HikConnect service. With this method you must be logged in to the app as the connection is managed by Hikvisions free service.

To check how yours is setup you can open the iPad/phone app and you'll see a small hexagon shaped icon to the right of your device - click that and it will open a page.

If that pages headings are "Adding Type", "Alias", "Address" and so on, you're using method 1 above and all you need do is - click the pencil icon in the top right corner, change the incorrect digit in the "Address" field and click the save icon in the top right corner. If it is set that way you may have two entries in the app one for when you are on your home network and another for when you are remote. Make sure you only amend the entry using the 192.168 address.

If that pages headings are "Linked Camera", "Notification", "Storage Status" and so on, you're using method 2 above. In that instance there are a few things that could be causing it.

Once I know which way it's currently setup I can help further.
Thank you again for that and for your offer of further help. I will take a piccie tomorrow morning of the screen that I get when I click the icon on the iPad but I have to issue a warning here ! I am not an Apple person and only have my mini for other reasons. The Mistress of the Household has a normal iPad which she uses a lot but again is not very conversant with the innards of the thing. We do not have any of this stuff on our 'phones and the iPads never leave the wi-fi area.

I'm sorry but while I watched a bit of Clarkson I didn't think very much of it. But I didn't like Top Gear very much either.

Thank you again for that and for your offer of further help. I will take a piccie tomorrow morning of the screen that I get when I click the icon on the iPad but I have to issue a warning here ! I am not an Apple person and only have my mini for other reasons. The Mistress of the Household has a normal iPad which she uses a lot but again is not very conversant with the innards of the thing. We do not have any of this stuff on our 'phones and the iPads never leave the wi-fi area.

I'm sorry but while I watched a bit of Clarkson I didn't think very much of it. But I didn't like Top Gear very much either.

If it's for local viewing only (on your WiFi) I'm fairly sure it'll be accessed by IP address (as I described in number 1). If so when the details page appears you'll just need to change the address (on each of them) which will be showing 192.168.0.99 to 192.168.1.99 and you'll be up and running again.

Thank you but I have hit a problem. When I open the app on the iPads the network wi-fi name is showing but I am asked for a password. I have tried the Wi-Fi password, I've tried the Router password, but neither are accepted. And here's where we really get into trouble. One of the iPads is used by the other half, it is her access to the Internet, emails, everything. She apparently asked for a new password some time ago (I don't know where or who she asked) but it came back in an email which she has since deleted ! But when I was trying different passwords her email address is showing. I don't do emails on my mini but it still shows on mine.

Long story short. Can we delete the Hikvision apps on our iPads and start completely from the beginning again ? It is going to be much easier if we can go down that route I think.

Thank you but I have hit a problem. When I open the app on the iPads the network wi-fi name is showing but I am asked for a password. I have tried the Wi-Fi password, I've tried the Router password, but neither are accepted. And here's where we really get into trouble. One of the iPads is used by the other half, it is her access to the Internet, emails, everything. She apparently asked for a new password some time ago (I don't know where or who she asked) but it came back in an email which she has since deleted ! But when I was trying different passwords her email address is showing. I don't do emails on my mini but it still shows on mine.

Long story short. Can we delete the Hikvision apps on our iPads and start completely from the beginning again ? It is going to be much easier if we can go down that route I think.
Yes you can delete the HikConnect app completely and start fresh. The only thing you'll need is the admin password for the NVR. If you're only connecting to your system while you're on your own WiFi at home, you could use HikConnect or iVMS-4500. I prefer the latter for basic viewing and playback - you don't need an app login.

Thank you yet again. I know the Admin password for the NVR and I also prefer the iVMS-4500 - or should that be iVMS-4200 ? The latter is what I have always used and is what is on my pc. I would be quite happy with that. Any chance of a link for downloading the app please ?

Thank you yet again. I know the Admin password for the NVR and I also prefer the iVMS-4500 - or should that be iVMS-4200 ? The latter is what I have always used and is what is on my pc. I would be quite happy with that. Any chance of a link for downloading the app please ?
iVMS-4200 is the PC app that you have. iVMS-4500 is a phone/tablet app (similar to HikConnect but missing some of the advanced functionality). If you're using an Apple product you can get it directly from the App Store on the device. If your tablet phone runs on Android (Sony, Samsung etc) it's available at appstore.hikvision.com

Back