01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2325FWD-I Downloading recordings on camera SD card?

Gorilla

Have just got a (second hand) DS-2CD2325FWD-I.

Since it is currently the only camera on site, i want to be able to, ideally, record to an internal SD card in the camera's slot, rather than having a dedicated NVR for 1 camera. I have this working fine, the camera will record to the SD card, and i can view the recorded footage really nicely with IVMS-4200.

However, the problem occurs when i try and download recorded footage on the SD card to my PC. I would expect IVMS to have no problem doing this, however, when in the "Remote Playback" section of IVMS, if i try and download a video, it gives the following error:
IVMS Error 1.JPG

Not very descriptive. What does this mean?

I then tried to use the local recording feature within IVMS (I.E while the camera is playing-back from the SD, i hit the record button to capture the event occurring) - however when using this both in Live view and Playback modes, IVMS generates an .mp4 file, and a .jpg image for some reason, however i cannot play the video. VLC opens and 'plays' it, but does not show any video, Windows media player gives an error. Not helpful!

I would really like to avoid using the web interface with the plugin for this if possible, but it does not seem to work anyway. If i try and download a recording, record locally, capture an image etc, the plugin tells me it has saved the file to my PC, however the file just does not exist.

Anyone know how i can achieve this simple task?
Thanks...

The first thing you need to do is load the latest firmware for the camera. Depending on the current version you may need to go through several versions to avoid issues. Connect to the camera using a web browser and go to Configuration > System Settings. From there post the full firmware version along with the Firmware Version Property. (it should be a G1). The latest version is 5.6.820 but you shouldn't install that unless the camera is already on a 5.6.x version. I'll post a link to the download page once you let me know the current version. There are two download areas - the UK one has the latest version on it but the EU one has older firmware on if needed.

I'm not sure about the specific error you're getting. Hikvision cameras and NVRs are fickle about what browser and players can be used.

I then tried to use the local recording feature within IVMS (I.E while the camera is playing-back from the SD, i hit the record button to capture the event occurring) - however when using this both in Live view and Playback modes, IVMS generates an .mp4 file, and a .jpg image for some reason, however i cannot play the video. VLC opens and 'plays' it, but does not show any video, Windows media player gives an error. Not helpful!
This will be because your version of WMP or VLC does not have the correct codec support for the file. Download Hivisions VS Player and that will play the file fine.

I would really like to avoid using the web interface with the plugin for this if possible, but it does not seem to work anyway. If i try and download a recording, record locally, capture an image etc, the plugin tells me it has saved the file to my PC, however the file just does not exist.
The file doesn't download to 'Downloads'. If it says the file has saved it probably has but the default location is something like C/Users/YourName/Web/...then there's a list of folders for captured files etc that it'll be in. While connected using the web browser and plugin, if you click Configuration > Local, you can set the path for where you want the downloaded videos to go (usually C/Users/YourName/Videos and create a CCTV folder there)

Last edited:
Sorry - should have posted the firmware version originally.

As reported by the web interface -
Firmware Version: V5.6.820 build 220519
Firmware Version Property: B-R-G1-0

It would appear it is already running the latest firmware.

This will be because your version of WMP or VLC does not have the correct codec support for the file. Download Hivisions VS Player and that will play the file fine.
Thanks. Just figured out that VSPlayer is the tool for the job, it can also convert the video files to a format that can be played by WMP, VLC, etc.
** NOTE: If anyone else is struggling with using VSPlayer to convert videos, make sure you run the application as administrator (Right click > Run as administrator) **

The file doesn't download to 'Downloads'. If it says the file has saved it probably has but the default location is something like C/Users/YourName/Web/...then there's a list of folders for captured files etc that it'll be in. While connected using the web browser and plugin, if you click Configuration > Local, you can set the path for where you want the downloaded videos to go (usually C/Users/YourName/Videos and create a CCTV folder there)
I know about the file save locations, however the folders just did not exist. The web interface / plugin would give me the following message:
Dload Path.JPG

however the C:\Users\MyName\Web directory simply was not there. After searching my entire C:\ drive with Windows explorer, i have just discovered the web plugin is saving the files here:

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Virtualized\C\Users\MyName\Web\DownloadFiles\2023-11-12

At least i now do have a method of retrieving video. Do you have any ideas regarding the IVMS-4200 error as depicted in my OP? Whilst downloading via the web interface does work, and so does playing back the video in IVMS and re-recording it locally, it would be nice to be able to retrieve the video files via IVMS...

Thanks!

Sorry - should have posted the firmware version originally.

As reported by the web interface -
Firmware Version: V5.6.820 build 220519
Firmware Version Property: B-R-G1-0

It would appear it is already running the latest firmware.

Thanks. Just figured out that VSPlayer is the tool for the job, it can also convert the video files to a format that can be played by WMP, VLC, etc.
** NOTE: If anyone else is struggling with using VSPlayer to convert videos, make sure you run the application as administrator (Right click > Run as administrator) **

I know about the file save locations, however the folders just did not exist. The web interface / plugin would give me the following message:
View attachment 10076

however the C:\Users\MyName\Web directory simply was not there. After searching my entire C:\ drive with Windows explorer, i have just discovered the web plugin is saving the files here:

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Virtualized\C\Users\MyName\Web\DownloadFiles\2023-11-12

At least i now do have a method of retrieving video. Do you have any ideas regarding the IVMS-4200 error as depicted in my OP? Whilst downloading via the web interface does work, and so does playing back the video in IVMS and re-recording it locally, it would be nice to be able to retrieve the video files via IVMS...

Thanks!
No I'm not sure about that original error. As the files are not being created in the specified directories I wonder if it's some Windows permissions issue. Is iVMS-4200 up to date?

Your browser and/or iVMS-4200 may need to be run as an administrator to create the new file on your PC

Your browser and/or iVMS-4200 may need to be run as an administrator to create the new file on your PC
Thanks. I hadn't thought of running the browser as an admin, this could well allow the web plugin to save in a more sensible place - at least for now i can access files saved via the web plugin.
As for IVMS, it insists on running as admin every time i open it, no idea why.
No I'm not sure about that original error. As the files are not being created in the specified directories I wonder if it's some Windows permissions issue. Is iVMS-4200 up to date?
Running V3.10.1.5 - No idea if this is the latest version, i would assume it is as i have only recently downloaded it from the Hikvision site and installed.

However, some more experimentation has revealed that: When i attempt to download a snippet of video, whilst the recorded video is still open (streaming from the camera), i get the error shown in my OP. However i just noticed that when that happens, this icon appears...
IVMS Small Icon.JPG

Clicking this reveals the failed download:
IVMS Download Pane.JPG

Pressing the 'play' button now just causes the original error to show once again.
However: If i close the video playback stream (Not pause, but close entirely, not the whole "Remote Playback" tab, just the video frame), and then press the small 'play' button again, the download begins, and finishes successfully:
IVMS Downloading.JPG

Also, if i get two downloads 'queuing' in this download pane, and try and run them together, the original error is shown when i try and start the second download.
AND just to prove a point, if i have a download running, and i attempt to reopen the 'playback stream', THIS error is displayed:

Playback error.JPG

It seems no two operations can be performed simultaneously - No idea if this is a camera limitation, bug, setup error or what.

Sorry about the long post and confusing explanation, but perhaps it will help somebody. If anyone knows how to resolve this, please let me know!

I feel that we've 'known this before' e.g. that you cannot be playing and downloading

Back