01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL - microphone wind noise reduction?

vision_dave

on my Colorvu DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL camera I am experiencing distorted sound due to the high winds of the last few days. I have the environmental Filter option switched to "ON". Is there anything I can do to deal with the issues of "wind noise"? Is it worth sticking a small piece of foam over the microphone input hole, to mimic the TV microphone boom fluffy cover to stop the effects of the wind?

Thanks

It's worth a try.
I guess that some conditions are just too tough for a basic built-in mic to work as well as we would hope :(

The LSU/LU has an external audio input on the pigtail connector for this very reason.

The spec sheets call up "1 input (line in), max. input amplitude: 3.3 Vpp, input impedance:4.7 KΩ, interface type: non-equilibrium"

Your best bet is to buy an external compatible microphone and protect it with foam or simply buy a mic with a windsock already installed. Line input at 3.3Vpp seems to suggest you will need a powered microphone.

I've not tried it myself but would be interested in hearing how you go if you do decide to try it.

This may help.
Once upon a time we used to resell suitable outdoor CCTV microphones from a vendor called Micronic.
As a supplier, at that time, they were very flakey - and only sold via eBay.
A quick search this morning indicates that they now have a webshop here:
CCTV microphone

As @venturis says, you do need to use a separately powered microphone - so need to buy a PSU as well.
Which all tended to make it quite the faff to install and connect-up.
NB you'll also need to cut off the plug connectors to get to bare wires for connection into most cameras.

They do also offer windshields - but for indoors only!

It is their area of expertise, so it may be worth giving them a call.

Back