01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL not detecting car at night?

polyharmonic

I have Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL camera. I setup Intrusion Detect for the street in front of my home. It is a rectangle surrounding the street in front.
Target selection: Human Unchecked, Vehicle Unchecked
Threshold: 0
Sensitivity: 100
Target Validity: Basic

During the day, it works well. But in the middle of the night (that is around 01:00 to 4:00 or so), a car will drive by the house and no event is triggered.

For whatever it's worth, here is my video and image current settings as well:
Resolution 5120*1440
Bitrate Type Constant
Video Quality N/A
Frame Rate 15
Max Bitrate 6144
Video Encoding H.265
H.264/5+ OFF
I Frame Interval 15
SVC OFF
Smoothing 50
Brightness 50
Contrast 58
Saturation 50
Sharpness 45
Exposure Settings Fixed 1/60
Backlight Settings BLC Area Area:OFF WDR:OFF HLC: OFF
White Balance AWB1
Image Enhancement Normal/Noise Reduction Level: 40
Gray Scale: [0-255]

Is there any adjustment(s) I can try so that I can detect cars or people crossing in front of my house in the middle of the night?

Thanks!

Start by ticking the Human and Vehicle boxes; that’s what they are there for.

Start by ticking the Human and Vehicle boxes; that’s what they are there for.
Under Intrusion Detect, I added a second region. Region 1 has nothing checked but region 2 has both human and vehicle boxes checked. Both regions are rectangles surrounding the street in front of the house.

I also changed from H.265 to H.264, increased bitrate to 8192 and increased shutter speed to 1/120. It didn't help. Overnight, a car drove by (somewhat fast) and no alerts were triggered.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Under Intrusion Detect, I added a second region. Region 1 has nothing checked but region 2 has both human and vehicle boxes checked. Both regions are rectangles surrounding the street in front of the house.

I also changed from H.265 to H.264, increased bitrate to 8192 and increased shutter speed to 1/120. It didn't help. Overnight, a car drove by (somewhat fast) and no alerts were triggered.

I'm not sure what else to try.
You'd probably be best trying Motion detection first. Intrusion and line crossing can be a bit finicky with minimum/maximum target sizes etc. There have been other posts reporting similar nighttime detection issues. If it's only on a night that's a problem maybe schedule your intrusion for the day and motion for a night.

That's possibly because v5.7.17 detects nothing else but Human and Vehicle when using Smart options whatever the check boxes are. Checked and not checked.
The car is not Recognized as a car at night passing by your house with speed so it is Recognized as a "nothing", not giving alarm and not recorded as VCA if using a compatible NVR.
That's one of the reasons why I am back to v5.7.15. The other one is that Acusense K NVR is not compatible with v5.7.17 and Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion is not working at all(Possibly the library does not include Acusense K NVRs)
Back to v5.7.15 everything works fine
The only solution with this firmware as JB1970 says, is the Motion Detection if your NVR is compatible

Last edited:
That's possibly because v5.7.17 detects nothing else but Human and Vehicle when using Smart options whatever the check boxes are. Checked and not checked.
The car is not Recognized as a car at night passing by your house with speed so it is Recognized as a "nothing", not giving alarm and not recorded as VCA if using a compatible NVR.
That's one of the reasons why I am back to v5.7.15. The other one is that Acusense K NVR is not compatible with v5.7.17 and Enable Dynamic Analysis for Motion is not working at all(Possibly the library does not include Acusense K NVRs)
Back to v5.7.17 everything works fine
The only solution with this firmware as JB1970 says, is the Motion Detection if your NVR is compatible
The G2P panoramic version uses a different firmware by the looks of it. The UK site shows 5.7.11_240319 as the latest version.

You'd probably be best trying Motion detection first. Intrusion and line crossing can be a bit finicky with minimum/maximum target sizes etc. There have been other posts reporting similar nighttime detection issues. If it's only on a night that's a problem maybe schedule your intrusion for the day and motion for a night.
The reason I was using Intrusion Detect instead of Motion Detect is that the latter was too sensitive, even at 20. Too many trees and plants swaying in light winds would set it off and Motion Detect would trigger alerts continuously. OTOH, Intrusion Detect stops working at night, even at 100.

But then I realized that I can set up smaller Motion Detect shapes which only enclose the road with no plants within. And that seems to be working day or night with few false triggers but still capturing moving cars at night.

So that is what I ended up going with.

So for anyone else coming across this issue, use Motion Detect but instead of using one large shape which encloses things like plants that are always moving, break it up into smaller shapes which do NOT enclose anything that will result in false triggers.

Motion Detect is crude but it works day or night with the right shapes.

The reason I was using Intrusion Detect instead of Motion Detect is that the latter was too sensitive, even at 20. Too many trees and plants swaying in light winds would set it off and Motion Detect would trigger alerts continuously. OTOH, Intrusion Detect stops working at night, even at 100.

But then I realized that I can set up smaller Motion Detect shapes which only enclose the road with no plants within. And that seems to be working day or night with few false triggers but still capturing moving cars at night.

So that is what I ended up going with.

So for anyone else coming across this issue, use Motion Detect but instead of using one large shape which encloses things like plants that are always moving, break it up into smaller shapes which do NOT enclose anything that will result in false triggers.

Motion Detect is crude but it works day or night with the right shapes.
You can actually put the motion sensitivity all the way to 0 and it'll still work. Using multiple motion areas can minimise false alerts as you've found.

Back to v5.7.17 everything works fine

Any chance of posting up a link to 5.7.15? Been looking in my usual spots and all I see it 5.7.18. Mine is on 5.7.17.

Back