01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Hik Connect is no longer showing thumbnail snapshot images for all my cameras when I open the App?

saunders1989

Hi,

I recently updated my cameras all to the latest version. Model (DS-2CD2387G2-LU) and software version (V5.7.14 build 231213). Previously when i opened the hik connect app and it has loaded, all my cameras would essentially take a snapshot at that moment in time and show me the latest picture as a thumbnail. However out of my 5 cameras. Only 2 of them still do this. I have stream encryption on and no other settings have changed.

I have tried restarting the NVR but still only the 2 that updated only update. the other 3 don't

How do I get it to take a snapshot at that moment in time again?

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently updated my cameras all to the latest version. Model (DS-2CD2387G2-LU) and software version (V5.7.14 build 231213). Previously when i opened the hik connect app and it has loaded, all my cameras would essentially take a snapshot at that moment in time and show me the latest picture as a thumbnail. However out of my 5 cameras. Only 2 of them still do this. I have stream encryption on and no other settings have changed.

I have tried restarting the NVR but still only the 2 that updated only update. the other 3 don't

How do I get it to take a snapshot at that moment in time again?
I don't think you can, I find it to be a bit random. If I drag the screen to refresh, sometimes that does it, but other times I need to stream one of the cameras first to update all thumbnails.

Even closing the app fully (rather than closing to background) does not update all of the thumbnails. I've just tried that now and on one site cams 1, 2 and 3 have not updated while 4, 5 and 6 have. There's no correlation between model/firmware either. 1,3 are G5, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are old R6 models.

Last edited:
Oh that’s rather frustrating. It used to update all 5 but now only 2. It doesn’t update if I pull to refresh.

If I stream 1 it only updates that one. I guess that’s what you mean?

Oh that’s rather frustrating. It used to update all 5 but now only 2. It doesn’t update if I pull to refresh.

If I stream 1 it only updates that one. I guess that’s what you mean?
Yeah it seems so random for me. My wife noticed that one of the other sites thumbnails (my mums CCTV) seem to always be up to date whereas our own don't. Hik-Connect seems to get an update once a week at the moment and it's more likely to be down to the Hik-Connect app and server than a cameras individual firmware I think.

I do hope it is just an app update that is required because it was quite a handy feature.

I’m glad it’s not just me so I know it wasn’t anything I did in the update process

I have a Hikvision NVR 7716NXI V4.62 and various 4mp and 2mp Hikvision cameras, all on their latest versions.

I don't get preview pictures on the Notifications Tab in Hik-Connect - it used to work previously, and I guess it also had been earlier firmware versions, but now there are none shown.

Live view and Playback work fine, and in Search on the NVR, the event pictures are there.

Attachments

• Hik preview pictures.jpg
    Hik preview pictures.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 21
What are the model numbers of your cameras please @RandMental?
Also, which version of Hik-Connect are you using and on what phone?
Have you got stream encryption enabled on your NVR?

Good day,

NVR: DS7716NXI-I4/S (C) Firmware version V4.62.255 Build 240123

Android OS 14, Samsung S21, Hik-Connect V6.2.18
Apple IOS17.4 iPhone 14 Pro , Hik-Connect 6.2.3.240226.3

Cameras : Mostly Hikvision Colorvue G1 and G2 eg. DS-2CD2T47G2-L and DS02CD2T46G1

Attachments

• Hik preview pictures.jpg
    Hik preview pictures.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 31
Cameras : Mostly Hikvision Colorvue G1 and G2 eg. DS-2CD2T47G2-L and DS02CD2T46G1
Thanks, we've seen a similar issue with the M-Series NVRs which appeared when the new firmware was released and didn't work properly with the G5 platform camera firmware.

Can you please log into each camera and list the firmware version installed on each so I can check there are definitely no new updates for them?

Also, can you check if you have stream encryption enabled in Network>Advanced Settings>Platform Access, and test with it disabled if you do, please?

Encryption is enabled on all Cameras and NVR - will test and report back

DS-2CD2T47G1-L V5.6.820 build 220519
DS-2CD2T47G2-L V5.7.14 build 231213
DS-2CD2145FWD-IS V5.6.820 build 220519
DS-2CD2725FWD-IZS V5.6.820 build 220519
DS-2CD2327G1-LU V5.6.820 build 220519

Removing Encryption does not seem to change the status.

One additional item to mentions is the FHik-Connect Remote Configuration function does not work for either Platform linked NVR or a LAN linked NVR - Both says Connection Failed.

DDNS is configured on the NVR and shows connected, I anyway have a fixed IP.

Configering DDNS on Hik-Connect always give me a Connection Failed

Thanks - as you say, all of the firmware is up to date.

Just to check, do you have DNS servers correctly set on the NVR?

To get alerts in Hik-Connect you need to add the NVR via the QR code or serial number method anyway, rather than configuring DDNS on Hik-Connect.

I think the only other thing to do is test an earlier NVR firmware, such as V4.62.215_230818, from here, to verify that it's a problem with that latest update.

We sometimes find that downgrading the firmware can default an NVR, so I would save a backup config file from the Upgrade & Maintenance page in case it does.

My NVR had V4.62.215_230818 installed when I received it (unfortunately I upgraded from the original 7716 HW to the (C) version just before the new V5 capable hardware were released.)

V4.62.215_230818 had the same problem with the preview thumbnails

Thanks for confirming.

We found that the thumbnails were only broken for certain events on the other NVRs - are you only seeing them broken for intrusion detection, or all events please?

I also found that tweaking some video settings for the Main and Main (event) streams on the NVR's video settings helped to get some working.
As a test, does reducing the maximum bitrate and/or video quality for these streams help?

Also, are you seeing the broken thumbnails on all cameras, and are your cameras directly connected to the NVR, or connected to a separate POE switch?

I have only Intrusion and line Crossing Detection enabled on all cameras, 3 has the NVR do the analysis, the others are on the Cameras.
All of them fails to display.

I'll check the basic events on one camera

As you can see on this iPhone 14 Pro screen dump , the thumbnails also don't show for a standard motion detection

Some thing I also now realised and tested, the UPNP on the Cameras works fine with my OPNSense Router/Firewall, however the NVR's UPNP tab keeps showing invalid.

On the cameras I needed to reboot to get valid UPNP setting, on the NVR did make no difference .

NVR DDNS page is attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 15.30.32.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 15.30.32.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 34
  • UPNP on NVR does not work.jpg
    UPNP on NVR does not work.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks, I'll try and find an NXI-I NVR to set up and test to see if it's a wider firmware issue.

Did you try the below?
I also found that tweaking some video settings for the Main and Main (event) streams on the NVR's video settings helped to get some working.
As a test, does reducing the maximum bitrate and/or video quality for these streams help?

Back