01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HIK-Connect on the iPhone - questions....

dbrewood

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Hi guys a couple of questions concerning HIK-Connect on the iPhone.

1) Download videos from the NVR

I don't think this is possible but I thought I'd post the question just in case I've missed something.....

On the iOS HIK-Connect app I want to search for a video portion and download it to the phone? e.g. video from 04/11/2022 14:55 to 04/11/2022 15:01. It does not seem to have that functionality and that you can only download any captured 'alert' videos.

I know I can do the search / download via the iVMS-4200 app on the Mac, but I find the app badly designed and cumbersome.... The web interface is considered useless as it does not show video.

There has to be an easy way of doing this.

2) Annoying alert counter

Since the last two updates of the app when looking at the notifications tab I typically see a headline count of 99+ with maybe 8 video event thumbnails shown. There seems no way to view all of the 99+ events which are in the top count. Toggling the various filters seems to do nothing.
I've even gone as far as deleting the app and reinstalling. It seems to make no difference. An example:

IMG_1235.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Hi @dbrewood

With regards to downloading clips on your phone, you can do the following...
  1. Open the playback screen for said camera.

2. Scroll to the period you would like to download the footage for in the timeline (unfortunately there is no other way of manually specifying a date/time) and press the download button.

3. Set the length of the clip to download (you're limited to just over a couple of minutes) and press download.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

The alert counter definitely appears to be a bug as I can see the same, even after clearing the whole list (which removes the "99+"), as soon as another alert comes in it jumps straight back to "99+".

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll make Hikvision aware of it.

Upvote 0
Hmm this is intriguing. When I go to playback I don't have all the icons that you have. In particular, no download icon....
IMG_1238.jpeg

Upvote 0
That's interesting.
What version of the app are you using, and what is the model / firmware version of your NVR?

Just to check - if you drag that toolbar to the right, does it reveal the other buttons?

Are you on iOS V16.1? (I'm still on 16.0, it may be that but I'll update and check again.)

Upvote 0
The App is version 4.27.1.20221018, and the NVR is a : DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P, and the three cameras: DDS-2CD2087G2-L(U).

The NVR Firmware details are:

Firmware Version: V4.30.011 build 200803​
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 200706​
Web Version: V4.0.1 build 200618​
Plugin Version: V3.0.7.21​

The Camera Firmware details are:

Firmware Version: V5.5. 154 build 200928​
Encoding Version: V7.3 build 200925​
Web Version: V4.0.1 build 200817​
Plugin Version: 13.0.7.29​

Dragging to toolbar does show other buttons but none of them are the download button.

I'm on iOS 16.1

Upvote 0
Thanks, I think it must be a problem with the old firmware on the camera / NVR because I've tested on the same up-to-date camera and NVR, and the download button works.

I can see in this thread that you've been pointed to the correct firmware and how to update in incremental steps:

Once you do manage to update it, the download function should work properly - you may need to use Internet Explorer initially if you have access to a Windows PC, or you can load the firmware files onto the NVR via USB this way if that's tricky:

You can also update the camera firmware this way (via USB):

Upvote 0
Thanks... I did also ask on another forum about upgrading the cameras and NVR firmware and was recommended not to upgrade as there are a lot of risks of bricking the cameras or NVR or that they revert to Chinese....

That has put me off somewhat .......

Upvote 0
So...... I've now some free time. Are there are concerns about updating the firmware on the cameras and NVR? Or should it be safe to do?

Upvote 0
2) Annoying alert counter

Since the last two updates of the app when looking at the notifications tab I typically see a headline count of 99+ with maybe 8 video event thumbnails shown. There seems no way to view all of the 99+ events which are in the top count. Toggling the various filters seems to do nothing.
I've even gone as far as deleting the app and reinstalling. It seems to make no difference. An example:

The alert counter definitely appears to be a bug as I can see the same, even after clearing the whole list (which removes the "99+"), as soon as another alert comes in it jumps straight back to "99+".
Regarding the alert counter. Bringing up the list and clicking each unread alert will drop the count. The easiest way to clear them that works is just click on 'Notification', click the 3 dot menu at the top right of the screen then 'Mark as All Read' - that will clear them. I think the issue is that deleting them in the app does not appear to delete them from the cloud. As the status is unread when you delete them, they remain unread when they reload.

Alternatively you can just switch the number off in notification settings. For an iPhone Settings > Notifications > Hik-Connect > Turn off 'Badges' switch. (there will be a similar setting for Android)

With regards to downloading clips on your phone, you can do the following...
  1. Open the playback screen for said camera.

2. Scroll to the period you would like to download the footage for in the timeline (unfortunately there is no other way of manually specifying a date/time) and press the download button.

3. Set the length of the clip to download (you're limited to just over a couple of minutes) and press download.
Hmm this is intriguing. When I go to playback I don't have all the icons that you have. In particular, no download icon....

Downloading as @Kyle has described is only possible when the NVR is added via Hik-Connect registration. The download is not possible if the device has been added directly using IP address or Domain Name. I have my NVR added to the Hik-Connect app using both Hik-Connect registration and IP/Domain and have just confirmed this.

Upvote 0
Downloading as @Kyle has described is only possible when the NVR is added via Hik-Connect registration. The download is not possible if the device has been added directly using IP address or Domain Name. I have my NVR added to the Hik-Connect app using both Hik-Connect registration and IP/Domain and have just confirmed this.

Ah ha this may be my issue then. I did have to reinstall the app and added my account via email address / password (which incidently allows me to mute notifications), so I need to work out I guess how to log in the app via Hik-Connect registration. That may be the missing step.

Okay so I got the QR code from within iVMS on the Mac and used that to add the NRV, I've now got both showing in the app:

IMG_1306.jpeg

But I still can't see the download option on the cameras on either added device. So adding the device via the QR code is this Hik-Connect registration or not?
If it is I guess I will have to look at updating the camera / NVR firmware?
Any assistance appreciated here guys, struggling with this one.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Ah ha this may be my issue then. I did have to reinstall the app and added my account via email address / password (which incidently allows me to mute notifications), so I need to work out I guess how to log in the app via Hik-Connect registration. That may be the missing step.

Okay so I got the QR code from within iVMS on the Mac and used that to add the NRV, I've now got both showing in the app:

View attachment 8461

But I still can't see the download option on the cameras on either added device. So adding the device via the QR code is this Hik-Connect registration or not?
If it is I guess I will have to look at updating the camera / NVR firmware?
Any assistance appreciated here guys, struggling with this one.....
So looking at your pics the bottom one is the one you've added with the QR code as it's showing the notification icon and possibly a 'share' icon that would not be visible otherwise. By adding the device via the QR code while logged into your account in the app, you've registered the NVR with Hik-Connect. If you have a monitor/TV connected to the NVR you would see the status in Settings > Network > Advanced > Platform Access. It will show 'online' for registration status and 'Linked' for Account Status.

I'm not sure why you're not getting the download option, but from the pics your app looks quite different to mine. The latest version of 'Hik-Connect for End User' is 4.27.2.20221030 on iPhone.

Upvote 0
This is very strange indeed. The 'Hik-Connect - for End user' app I'm using is 500.0.21221127 on the iPhone, it updated with the new look 3 days ago:
IMG_1310.jpeg

So do you think it is a firmware issue then?

Upvote 0
It'll be interesting to see if you lose the download option. I've checked with my installer and he has confirmed the HIK Vision kit he used was bought from a valid distributor so hopefully I should be good to update the firmware.

Upvote 0
I can still see it on the new app:

• Click the Play icon to view the live image from your camera (make sure it's the one you added via the QR code)
  • Click the Playback icon (red triangle with an arrow around it)
  • The download option appears at the far right as shown in the image below:
IMG_4822.PNG

I'm finding that new UI anything but intuitive. It'll take some time to get used to.

I've found a bug already - clicking Pause while playing back an event stops the video completely...

Upvote 0
I did exactly what you said and nope I still get:

IMG_1311.jpeg

I agree the new interface is not as good. It looks like I'll have to update the firmware.

Upvote 0
Okay I've upgraded the firmware on the camera's from V5.5.154 build 200928 to V5.5.800 build 210628 with no issues.

However when looking to do the same with the NVR I have some issues:

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 13.22.43.jpg

On the above screen (in Brave, Safari or Edge browsers) if I try to Export the Device Parameters I get an 'Exporting configuration file failed' message, and if I hit the (Export) IP Camera Parameters button nothing happens at all, I'm not prompted to enter a password, etc.

Similarly if I tap on the Browse button under Upgrade to select the firmware file nothing happens, no pop up to select the file.

I've tried the three different browsers mentioned above, cleared all browser caches, cookies etc, as well as rebooting the NVR itself. Nothing seems to make any difference.

So any ideas where I go from here guys?

Upvote 0
Okay I've upgraded the firmware on the camera's from V5.5.154 build 200928 to V5.5.800 build 210628 with no issues.

However when looking to do the same with the NVR I have some issues:

View attachment 8475

On the above screen (in Brave, Safari or Edge browsers) if I try to Export the Device Parameters I get an 'Exporting configuration file failed' message, and if I hit the (Export) IP Camera Parameters button nothing happens at all, I'm not prompted to enter a password, etc.

Similarly if I tap on the Browse button under Upgrade to select the firmware file nothing happens, no pop up to select the file.

I've tried the three different browsers mentioned above, cleared all browser caches, cookies etc, as well as rebooting the NVR itself. Nothing seems to make any difference.

So any ideas where I go from here guys?
It's an issue with browser support. Do you have iVMS 4200 installed on a PC (or Mac)? You can use that without problem. If not try a different browser if you have one installed - Firefox, Chrome. Browser support for Hikvision cameras and NVRs is a bit of a minefield. Depending on model, then depending on firmware version it'll work with a plugin, plugin free or with local service component installed - a crazy situation.

Edit: Another way. You can download the firmware file on your PC/Mac, unzip it and move the 'digicap.dav' file to a USB stick and pop that in the NVR. That will allow you to update the firmware using the local on screen menu (if you have a monitor/TV connected to the NVR)

I've just re read your post.....You only want to be using the browse button then select your file - if nothing pops up to select your file it's a browser issue. If the dialogue pops up allowing you to select your file and when you select it the box is blank, just browse and select it again and it'll populate the box on the second attempt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To answer in reverse order, no pop up dialog box for the firmware no matter what I do. Anyway your suggestion to do the update via iVMS 4200 worked like a charm and I'm now on the latest firmware.

Much weirdness though:
  • V4.30.011 build 200803 to V4.31.105 build 210727 - No download icon showing. Booo!
  • V4.31.105 build 210727 to V4.32.110 build 211009 - Download icon appeared! Yay!
  • V4.32.110 build 211009 to V4.71.005 build 220524 - Download icon vanished again. Argh!!!

IMG_1313.jpeg

Upvote 0
Back