01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HIk NVR and Multi-Screen mode only accepting substream

Dave Howard

Hi all. 2wk old NVR7608 just did something 'new' today by giving message bottom right of browser screen of "Multi-screen mode only accepts live view and playback at sub-stream. For any other stream type, please switch to single-screen mode."
I understand what is means but why has this just started appearing (no change to firmware, etc) .. and its making me think I have accidentally changed a setting?

I can go to single screen view and get main-stream or 4x screen and see 4 cameras on sub-stream.
Last week I could do all 6x cameras on mainstream !?!?
I have rebooted NVR (no difference). I get same message from different PC's accessing via Browser.

Also intermittently when going to live view of seeking to configure a specific camera the following as attached happens. Why?

Grateful for anyone to confirm if I am going mad.

**NOTE: IDIOT ALERT AS THE ABOVE WAS IN EDGE … Seems ok in IE11 .. @Phil feel free to delete post

Last edited:
I think I'll leave it here, as it may prove useful in the future - we often see Edge opened instead of Internet Explorer.
Some day somebody is going to Google that same error message and be so pleased when your Post turns up with a quick and simple fix :)

I think I'll leave it here, as it may prove useful in the future - we often see Edge opened instead of Internet Explorer.
Some day somebody is going to Google that same error message and be so pleased when your Post turns up with a quick and simple fix :)
I've been experiencing this on IE

HI Dominic, nothing new. The problem happens on both IE and (new) Edge browser when I have 4 cameras on stream1(higher quality). On Edge they will display but go out of sync. I suspect it could be my PC not having enough grunt (Pentium Duo+8mb RAM+basic graphics card) as some US-forums pointed to this. All fine (on both browsers) with single camera Stream1

HI Dominic, nothing new. The problem happens on both IE and (new) Edge browser when I have 4 cameras on stream1(higher quality). On Edge they will display but go out of sync. I suspect it could be my PC not having enough grunt (Pentium Duo+8mb RAM+basic graphics card) as some US-forums pointed to this. All fine (on both browsers) with single camera Stream1
Can this be fix? And also why this just appears without doing anything in the configuration?

or did you already solved it?

Give the info in the link below a try for yourself. I did this previously + downloaded the component for the browser (this appears via a pop-up in your browser window). Fix Hikvision “Please click here to download and install the plugin-in” issue | SecurityCamCenter.com

My own experience is that on MS Edge using main-stream (higher quality in my config) slows the PC down (even switching between browser tabs), where as on sub-stream performance on the PC for other things is ok. This indicates to me that my PC (spec above) is not powerful enough to decode the main-stream from the NVR on my PC with 4x cameras simultaneously. I can watch 1 or 2 cameras at main-stream but past that I'll get the decode error/pop-up so I just live with it until i buy a new PC.

Last edited:
Back