01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikconnect app very slow?

Ultra4

Afternoon,

I wanted to ask this because I've noticed my HikConnect app is being quite laggy in terms of being able to access it from my mobile phone.

• nvr is (DS-7608NI-I2/8P)
  • cameras are 8mp ds-2cd2387g2-lu (4k color vu accusense) x4

The set up has Cat6A wiring throughout, and I have 150Mb/150Mb Internet from HyperOptic. It is 4 cameras running 4k accusense. I just notice that it keeps doing the % on each time I am loading. If I am out of the house on another persons wifi who has gigabit ethernet (phone pulling 300Mb download speed) it still does the same thing. I made sure Cat6a was ran and I believe 150Mb/150Mb hyperoptic internet is sufficient speed?

Is there a bottleneck in the HikConnect service at all? I assume it goes House > HikConnect > My Phone. Are there any settings I can tweak? This also occurs if I switch all four cameras to 'Basic' in the app.... it takes 5-10 seconds to load the camera... which is a bit long when I get a notification of movement?

I also get the message ''connection unstable, trying again''.

Just wondering if its a generic slowdown for everyone or if there is something I can tweak.

I was aware of potential bottlenecks with the cameras, so as a result I got the 8 channel NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/8P). Basically as far as I am aware I've done my best to make sure there are no bottlenecks.

Do I need to upgrade to the 16 channel NVR with only 4 cameras? Bit of a pain if so but am willing to. Is there anyway I can check the bandwidth consumption and see if it its maxing out?

Cameras are running H265 (not plus) and bitrate set to 4000. I use line crossing and intrusion zones on the cameras.

Thank you all.

It may be Hikvision's Hik-Connect servers.
Are you still seeing the same?
Which server are you using?
e.g.

1658310712268.png

It may be Hikvision's Hik-Connect servers.
Are you still seeing the same?
Which server are you using?
e.g.

View attachment 7853

Hi Phil,

Yes I see that, except my litedev.eu.hik-connect.com is greyed out (but it says that). Rest of the settings are the same.

So you don't think its anything to do with my NVR being throttled/can't handle it? Is there anywhere I could get that type of info to see how much strain it is currently being put under? I've seen net stat but I am not sure if thats where I need to be looking.

Thanks

Hi @Ultra4

It may well be that you're exceeding the incoming bandwidth limit of the NVR, which will be 80 Mbps for yours.

You can check this in Network Statistics as you say, either via browser or on the NVR directly.

In a browser: Configuration>System>Maintenance>Diagnose>View Statistics Information

1658315945834.png

Or, on the NVR's local interface: Menu >Maintenance > Net Detect > Network Stat

If you are exceeding this, I would first try reducing the video quality setting for each camera to "medium" and the frame rate to around 15fps, which should help to reduce the bitrate being used on each camera with the smallest impact on quality of the the footage.

Hi @Ultra4

It may well be that you're exceeding the incoming bandwidth limit of the NVR, which will be 80 Mbps for yours.

You can check this in Network Statistics as you say, either via browser or on the NVR directly.

In a browser: Configuration>System>Maintenance>Diagnose>View Statistics Information

View attachment 7854

Or, on the NVR's local interface: Menu >Maintenance > Net Detect > Network Stat

If you are exceeding this, I would first try reducing the video quality setting for each camera to "medium" and the frame rate to around 15fps, which should help to reduce the bitrate being used on each camera with the smallest impact on quality of the the footage.

Thank you.

Going on mine displays the following

IP Camera: 23 Mbps
Remote Live View: 0bps
Remote Playback: 0bps
Net Recieve Idle: 56Mbps
Net Send Idle: 230Mbps
Picture Input Bandwith: 2,048 Kbps
Picture Output Bandwidth: 26Mbps

--

Which there is the input bandwidth like you showed above? and you mentioned my max is 80Mbps. What does this represent exactly? The cameras into the NVR?

Thanks

It should be the IP camera row, but 23 Mbps doesn't seem right as this is incredibly low for 4 x 2387G2-LU turrets.
I think that there may be an issue with this page.

On the live view screen, could you please double click on each camera so it is fullscreen (and displaying the main stream)...
Then, hover over the "information" icon, which is a rectangle with 3 horizontal lines inside it.
This will show the live bitrate for that camera, can you let me know what the highest number this climbs to on each camera is, please?

It should be the IP camera row, but 23 Mbps doesn't seem right as this is incredibly low for 4 x 2387G2-LU turrets.
I think that there may be an issue with this page.

On the live view screen, could you please double click on each camera so it is fullscreen (and displaying the main stream)...
Then, hover over the "information" icon, which is a rectangle with 3 horizontal lines inside it.
This will show the live bitrate for that camera, can you let me know what the highest number this climbs to on each camera is, please?

It says...

Frame Rate: 20fps
Bitrate: ~7000 Kbps (highest number I saw - it fluctuates from 681Kbps to 1821Kbps for example)
Resolution: 3840x2160
Encoding type : 265
Stream Type: Main Stream

///

Camera Settings (main stream, continuous) are
resolution: 3840x2160
bitrate type: variable
video quality: highest
frame rate: 20
max bit rate mode: general
max bitrate 4096 Kbps
video encoding: h.265
Thanks

Thanks - it looks like you're well within the NVR's bandwidth budget then.

It's worth increasing the max bitrate to 5120 which is what we tend to use for 8MP cameras, in case this helps.

Are you using the latest firmware on the cameras and NVR? These are:

NVR:
V4.61.010_build220527

Cameras:
V5.7.3_220216 SP (For (C) models)
V5.5.801_211105 (For non-C models)

Thanks - it looks like you're well within the NVR's bandwidth budget then.

It's worth increasing the max bitrate to 5120 which is what we tend to use for 8MP cameras, in case this helps.

Are you using the latest firmware on the cameras and NVR? These are:

NVR:
V4.61.010_build220527

Cameras:
V5.7.3_220216 SP (For (C) models)
V5.5.801_211105 (For non-C models)

Thanks, I'll change it to 5120. My other settings of being variable are ok though? So if its 4x 5120 I assume roughly that means 20Mbps... so in relation to the 80 what does that mean?

If I view from my phone, does that mean consumption will go to 40, and if i then view on my iPad it'll go to 60 and so on?

Re firmware, not running the latest yet I'm yet to get round to it. Need to read up the best way to do it, don't want anything to go wrong.

I need to check serial numbers/regions to make sure I have the right one (I think) from what I've read? I just haven't got round to it been so busy and know these things take some good knowledge to do properly which is why I'm appreciative of this entire forum, really helpful.

Just to update this, I've noticed exactly when I get a line crossing the problem is 100 times worse.

That's what makes me think its to do with the bandwidth.... I unplugged 1 of the cameras yesterday and still experienexed the issue though? So it really is confusing.

I've gone for h265+ now. I did try H265 at 10fps and even that still meant the app was slow but the movement wasn't fluid at all so I had to put it back to 20fps for each camera, but even that sacrifice to test it didn't make any difference. Still running 4000 bitrate, variable (I assume variable is better than constant.... less data when nothing moving maybe?)

All I can think of is its the bandwidth (my 8 channel is already only at 4 cameras so its not as if I am 8/8) or the hikconnect service giving me lag, I am not sure what one it is and is a bit frustrating.

I have taken a peek at blue iris with deepstack but it involves needing to use a PC and I am not sure if the notifcations are as good. The AI element of it looks promising, I wonder if I could do line crossing etc too. To anyone that has or is using it how does it compare to the hikvision NVR? Do I need some cloud connection there, or will it be direct to the PC and thus no lag at all?

Thanks all, firmware upgrade is on the to do list.... if that works i'll update this thread.

Looks like you setup the Hik-Connect directly in the CAM (Or is this is just a Phil's screenshot). I have Hik-Connect platform setup in NVR only and I don't see a problem (and you can see all cams at the same time). It sometimes is a bit slower to start when seeing via the mobile network, however, you can add a new Device using your local NVR IP, so you can check performance locally in your mobile Hik-connect app to see if there is the same issue.

What Hik-connect app version you have ? I had V.4.22.1 and now upgraded to V 4.24.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, variable bitrate is the best to use - it means that the bitrate used by the camera will fluctuate based on the activity in the scene to maintain a full-resolution picture, rather than vice versa.

H.265+ should definitely help too.
I would also change the video quality setting from "highest" to "higher" or even "medium", which is what we use - this is more a restriction on how much the video can be compressed than the resolution of the video but required a lot more bandwidth and storage - keeping the resolution set to the maximum (3840x2160) will still give you an 8MP picture.

Hikvision has explained to me that an 8MP camera recording at 30fps and with video quality at "high" and in H.265 will use around 16500 kbps, so I would expect your cameras to be using more than they're showing if set to 20fps.

So, if using H.265, I would increase the maximum bitrate to around this (the max bitrate is a cap, so it's better to set it too high rather than too low) for both "Main Stream (Normal)" and "Main Stream (Event)" in the video settings for the cameras.

Back