01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision advice - motion detection and line crossing alerts

Yasser

Hi all - is it possible to setup both motion detection and line crossing events in tandem on the Hikvision cameras, but only receive notification alerts for the latter?

I would like to setup a camera to watch the front of our house and record to SD card whenever someone walks past (using motion detection) and whenever someone enters the front garden (using line crossing) but only receive email/push alerts for the line crossing events. Anyone know if this'll work?

Yes, that should be fine to run in tandem. Simply disable Notify Surveillance Centre and Send Email as linkage methods in your motion detection configuration options, and obviously ensure they're enabled for line crossing.

Thanks for confirming Kieran. I have a follow-up question - I live in a rental so not allowed to install any outdoor cameras. I was thinking of buying the DS-2CD2442 cube camera and putting it in the front window looking out - I know its not ideal, but it's my only option currently.
Do you think this would work ok? I realise that the IR will most likely be useless through a window so I may have to disable it, but I'm hoping the motion detection should not be affected?
I notice also that you have a 'buy and try' scheme so I was wondering whether I could give it a go and return it if it doesn't work?

Hi Yasser,

Apologies about the delay in response here, I was away from home for a few days.

During the day the camera footage won't be affected too greatly. It's definitely not ideal, but it's workable.
At night, you're definitely going to want to disable the IR on the camera. The glass will reflect it back at the camera and blind it - the image will be useless.
The camera's built-in VMD should be unaffected, but the built-in PIR sensor will be impacted in the same manner as the camera's infrared LEDs and will suffer very poor performance too.

You're of course welcome to have a test using our 14 day buy & try :)

Thanks Kieran. I did read on another forum that if you angle the camera through the window you may be able to get the IR working, so I may give that a try - if not I'll disable it. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the DS-2CD2442 so I appreciate the advice!

Hi all,
Is there another linkage method that sends an event line crossing to a text message to the server, and the server can perform data processing into a report?
As i know Hikvision has People Counting product, but im trying to find out a low cost people counting solution :).

Back