01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision noisy NVR

CHris S

Hello I have DS-7608NI-K2/8p this is very noisy. Is there a quieter NVR I can buy ( separately am trying to fit quieter fans ) or is there a newer one that lower noise output ?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1543173966191.png
    1543173966191.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 540
Thx for reply. Pity. Will try and replace fans and we will see how we go

Chris, I've bought a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P recently as part of a new home cctv setup & that's also noisier than I was expecting. Definitely couldn't be located in any room anybody uses due to the fan noise. Having had a good look I don't think there's a fault with the fans, it's inherent to the nvr design.
I had already partially planned to install it in the attic, but I'm not yet certain if the fan noise will be heard in the bedrooms below & may well need something changed.

Have you had any success installing quieter fans in your NVR ?

While installing the HDD in my NVR I know there are 2 very small diameter fans, obviously working hard continuously.
Installing much larger PC size fans would be possible, but require significant case mods to re-route the airflow through fans.

Paul

Last edited:
Hi, I had a DS-7608NI-E2-8P and I now have DS-7608NI-I2-16P And I changed the fan to both of thme with Noctua NF-A4X10 and I can now live with the NVR without any noise problem. It's very easy to do the swap.

@Stefano - feel free to link to where you sourced your fans
[Warranty may be affected, etc. etc.]

Hi Phil,
I sourced my fans from amazon.it. There's also the 2cm thick version Noctua NF-A4X20 but since i just have 4 camera using the POE from NVR i went for the lower noise and lower airflow version of 1cm thickness and didn't have any problem in the last 3 years.
For sure the warranty will be affected since you have to open the power supply and cut the cable of the original fan that has a non standard plug.

I have to say I am unhappy. I've replaced both the trafo and the case fans with Noctuas and its still really noisy. As Paulus says above its definitely a case resonance problem
. It MIGHT be worth adding in a temp sensor to only spin the fans over a certain temp.

The 7700 series NVR is also very noisy. A client of ours complained about the noise because the NVR is in his living room. The PSU fan is the real noise maker on this model. To avoid warranty issues we installed sound dampening foam while maintaining airflow.

Stefano, Chris,
many thanks for the info / updates.
The Noctua fans look reasonable value at approx £12 each off Amazon & there's a lot of very positive reviews.
I'll install the NVR in the attic & see whether we can tolerate them before I follow up further.
Probable feedback in a couple of weeks !

Hi Phil,
I sourced my fans from amazon.it. There's also the 2cm thick version Noctua NF-A4X20 but since i just have 4 camera using the POE from NVR i went for the lower noise and lower airflow version of 1cm thickness and didn't have any problem in the last 3 years.
For sure the warranty will be affected since you have to open the power supply and cut the cable of the original fan that has a non standard plug.
Hi, I’m looking at making these changes aswell what voltage do the fans need to be? I’m going to buy the ones you recommended....

I'm also concerned about the potential fan noise of these devices, I'm currently specc'ing up a system and may opt to run it via a Synology NAS and PoE switch to avoid the issue.

I'm not sure if these would fit (as I don't have a Hikvision NVR to test) as a straight replacement, but I've used Gelid Silent fans in PCs before and they are very quiet: GELID Solutions | Case Fans (the Silent 4 is 40x40x10).

The 7700 series NVR is also very noisy. A client of ours complained about the noise because the NVR is in his living room. The PSU fan is the real noise maker on this model. To avoid warranty issues we installed sound dampening foam while maintaining airflow.
Hello, Would you be able to provide me with the product that was used. I am in need of copying this idea and solution!
Thank you

Hi @Aprincessitalian

See the below forum thread for a link to a fan other users have used to make the NVR quieter:

Also, see this user who put the whole NVR inside an insulated housing as a way to make it quieter without voiding the warranty:

Unfortunately, we can't recommend any specific dampening foam that will safely fit inside the NVR and StewartM hasn't been on the forum for many years so you are probably unlikely to get any help from him, you might just have to try some different solutions and see what works best.

Any recommendation for anti-vibration rubber/silicone feet for NVR? It has metal feet and they amplify the noise when sitting on a hardwood shelf etc.

Any recommendation for anti-vibration rubber/silicone feet for NVR? It has metal feet and they amplify the noise when sitting on a hardwood shelf etc.
Any foam/felt feet on Amazon will do the job. Most of the noise is not the fan but the airflow through the hole punchings. Even with the standard fan the noise is barely audible with the lid off (though there's not much you can do for the models with an internal PSU and fan)

How did you fix the noise issue?
I didn't. I have mine in the roof space so don't hear it. I wouldn't install an NXI-I, I, or M series unless it could go in a cupboard or loft space. I did a 7716NI-M4 a few weeks back and that has a much larger (80mm maybe?) case fan as well as one on the PSU. I couldn't have put that where it was audible.

If you have one of the models with an internal PSU fan and case fan, you can try quieter fans but as said it's the resistance of the air through the vents rather than the fan itself. There is no real fix other to relocate it out of earshot.

@LoinKing what model NVR do you have. The modification in post #13 using two power supplies is easy enough. I wish I'd remembered that post before I took a 7616NI-K2/16P and through it in a skip because I couldn't locate a replacement PSU for one that was rattling...

Last edited:
Back