01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision not detecting "human"? (but does detect birds!)

NadJ

I have 3 of these cameras: DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL
So far I'm only using basic detection. I specify target detection to be human. Things were going well with the sensitivity set to 60 but then I noticed one day, the camera detected a bird (a magpie). So I reduced the sensitivity to 40 and realised it was still doing it, further reduced to 20 and it feels like it's getting worse not better!

This is a bit pants, it's clearly not detecting humans but a bird which is occupying probably <5% of the total camera image. Do I need to move on to Smart Events now? That would be a shame because I have several other models of Hikvision and they seem to be handling the "human" detection at threshold 60 just fine! Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Hi @NadJ - it's the sort of bug that may well have been fixed in a firmware update, especially if other models seem to be working well - is the camera using the most up-to-date version, V5.7.12_230131?

It's also worth hard resetting the camera and starting the event setup afresh, which you can do in the camera's Update & Maintenance menu.

To do both things, you will need to connect to the camera directly - you will probably need to use the NVR's virtual host feature for this, which this guide explains how to use:

Thank you Kyle. Since then I have discovered that any Basic/Smart detection you configure via the Hik-Connect app is unreliable. There seems to be a difference in the way the detection algorithms are written to the device based on the configuration tool. I now configure everything directly via the web interface. So far perfect.

Ah that's interesting, thanks for sharing your findings - I'm glad it's working for you now :)
Just out of interest, were you actually setting motion detection up in the app then, and have you added the NVR to Hik-Connect using DDNS?

I rely purely on the built-in camera detection algorithms. These latest cameras seem to have a lot of onboard processing. Currenly no NVR. I was gonna go full hardcore with a Blue Iris set up but have since decided on local SD card recording (don't laugh, it all works wonderfully).

When I first bought them, I enrolled them into the app using the QR-Code (not as local devices). I then decided to configure all other settings via the web interface including Basic Events. At some stage I began to tinker with the drawn areas via the app. And that's when my issues began to occur.

I have since then disabled/deleted any area, sensitivity and notification definitions from within the app (of course, after that they no longer show via the web interface too). Thereafter, I have redefined the notifications, areas and sensitivities entirely from the web interface. They are still translated and displayed in the app but there are differences (for example, a 5 point shape drawn in the web interface shows up as a simple rectangle in the app). I can view but as long as I don't then EDIT anything in the app I'm good (seems the web defined stuff rules). I hope that all makes sense?

DDNS? I have my own solution for (no-ip client on a home server)

That makes perfect sense, thanks - I was just surprised that you could tinker with the areas in the app (without DDNS), it must be a relatively new option.

Local SD recording is great :) I only thought you may have been using an NVR because a quick look at your screenshot looks similar to the NVR web interface!

I'll pass this info on to Hikvision anyway, hopefully, they'll improve the reliability of the events when configured in-app!

Do you still experience false recordings? I have human line detection (only ever set up via the web interface) that works perfectly for notifications but makes lots of false recordings. In the timeline, the true human events show as green (human) and the false events show as red, general events. It seems the event recording schedule does not take notice of human filtering. I've examined the logs and the only triggers are line crossing, so this suggests a bug. I do have a convoluted workaround, involving feeding alarm-out to alarm-in and configuring for alarm recording, but this is a mad way to work around what seems a blatant Hikvision bug. Has anyone else experienced this?

Back