01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR firmware update and device config / configuration not working - import configuration file failed

Gurdev

Hi Guys.
I am new to this forum.

I have not updated my Hikvision in ages, and i bought it off a supplier that doesn't provide support (Lesson learnt !)

I have a NVR DS-7608 NI - 12/8P

The firmware was 3.4.92. The build number was less that the recommended spec required for updating to latest firmware version 4.x.x.
So i updated the firmware to 3.4.92 build no. 170518.

I done the factory reset.

i also saved (exported) the device configuration files

after the update, to 3.4.92 (I didn't check the build no. at this point), I loaded (imported) the device config files, and the system was working again. i.e. i could see the cameras working as they did before.

I also saved the GUID file too at some point when prompted

so again i did a factory reset, and then upgraded to the current version of v4.50.000

when i try to import/load the config files, the cameras do not work. Also i am now getting asked for password, and i enter any password, and I don't get prompted that password is wrong. get a prompt to say system will reboot after importing, and then get a message that import configuration file failed (never had this prompt on the older firmware)

is this due to password mismatches ? I do not get it ( I am not sure I remember the camera passwords - but system has not prompted me to enter correct password). Should i gradually upgrade the firmware, and keep importing the device config files , and then save it again, once loaded up again so it talks better with the newer firmware ? do the camera's need updating so they can talk to the newer updated firmware ? I am so confused

Luckily, I managed to install the older firmware again, and the device config files work okay and the cameras work okay on the older firmware

Can I have some suggestions as to what I am doing wrong pls

Hi @Gurdev

You seem to be back where you had started, if that is the case then this is what I recommend.

DON'T hard reset the NVR
DON'T export GUID

Just load the correct firmware and update the NVR.

As the v4 firmware introduces some major updates we would recommend that you update to the earliest v4 firmware available to you and once updated to that firmware you should then be ok to step up to the newest v4 firmware. (v4.50.000)

Seems to work okay ! Thankyou !

i upgraded to 4.22.x and then to 4.5.0

(this time when tried to export configuration settings in the newer 4.x.x firmware, i was asked to enter a password, thus explaining why the newer 4.x.x firmwares require a password when importing again- makes sense now)

I just wanted to add the company website recommendations for easier cross reference as it is generally a pop up page before we download the firmware. Seems that the system can handle the migration with current configuration settings intact - with out having to reset !

View the most updated version of this document here:
I-Series NVR Firmware Upgrade Instructions

I series firmware upgrade instructions (from official website)

The I-series NVR (such as the DS-7716NI-I4) is one of Hikvision's most popular and feature-rich recorders. As such, many firmware revisions have been introduced over the years to continually ensure the product is compatible with the newest technology available. Due to the many revisions, we recommend that the user closely follows the instructions below in order to reduce the amount of time spent as well as the chance of failure.

Database Optimization and Repair

As more affordable IP cameras are introduced over time with greater video resolution and data sizes, more efficient database management also becomes necessary. The introduction of firmware v4.0 brought about a new database architecture in order to be futureproof.

After upgrading to v4.X, the recorder database will need to be converted and optimized. If you are experiencing issues where playback is expected but not found, make sure "Database Repair" is performed as indicated in the procedures and scenarios below.

Preparing the Upgrade

Before proceeding with upgrade, it is recommended that NVR configuration file is exported from the NVR over the network or on to a local USB drive.

Upgrading from v3.4.92 build 170518 or Older

1. All recorders must reach v3.4.92 before proceeding further. Upgrading from versions before v3.4.92 directly to any version of v4.X will likely cause the recorder to fail.
  2. If the recorder is already at v3.4.92, a full factory default is highly recommended before upgrading to any version of v4.X. There is a high chance of unit failure (requiring RMA) if the unit is not defaulted before upgrade.
  3. After reaching v3.4.92 and performing a full factory default, an upgrade directly to v4.50.00 is acceptable.
  4. After the upgrade is completed and the recorder is reprogrammed, it may be beneficial to perform a Database Repair. For details, refer to the section "Database Optimization and Repair" above.
  5. To verify repair progress, you may refer to the HDD status, or search the recorder log for repair started and stopped entries. Note that while the HDD is repairing, new recordings are still being made, but some existing recordings may not be searchable until repair is complete.
  6. If you continue to observe playback issues after database repair, ensure there are no power, network, or motion detection issues. Should the problem persist, contact technical support.

Upgrading from Any v4.X Build to v4.50.00.

1. Any v4.X build can be upgraded directly to v4.50.00.
  2. Export configuration is highly recommended before performing the upgrade.
  3. If upgrading from any v4.X version that was not v4.22.005, a Database Repair is recommended. Refer to Step 4 and onwards in the previous section.

Downgrading

Downgrading is not recommended. Due to new features and parameters constantly being added, downgrading may cause the NVR to factory default itself or require a manual default to operate properly.

Reactions: Dan
Hi again,

Now the nvr is running 'jittery' or slow? it freezes when moving the mouse or decides to restart even randomly. i am not sure if the recording format has changed and the cameras need updating, or the firmware updating and 'down'dating (to a lower firmware version) has caused glitches in the system.

i may have to revert to the old firmware to see if it runs stable and leave it there. Otherwise i may have to reset the system and manually add the camera's again.

my system is not the usual setup.
i have 16 port switch with 8 ports being poe. all 5 cameras are running into switch (all in the loft). then i have ethernet cable out of there into the nvr ethernet port downstairs.

i was thinking of putting the nvr back into the loft and connecting camera's direct into nvr (plug and play connection ?), then using the single ethernet cable to convert into hdmi with some sort of adapter, but i dont know how to control the screen, as a bluetooth mouse wont connect so far (from ground floor downstairs to loft). maybe i could use the remote but would need to send the signal back upstairs into the loft. hopefully a signal converter will carry IR signal too (like sky tv users may do ?)

think ill have to do some research onto getting the camera's manually re-connected to the system. i think i remember the password, but i can always request a reset from the Hikvision support. Oh yes, also when i was trying to change the main camera to the bigger screen on the muliple screen view style, the camera's were dissapearing off the system !

some ideas would be appreciated !

Hi again,

Now the nvr is running 'jittery' or slow? it freezes when moving the mouse or decides to restart even randomly. i am not sure if the recording format has changed and the cameras need updating, or the firmware updating and 'down'dating (to a lower firmware version) has caused glitches in the system.

i may have to revert to the old firmware to see if it runs stable and leave it there. Otherwise i may have to reset the system and manually add the camera's again.

my system is not the usual setup.
i have 16 port switch with 8 ports being poe. all 5 cameras are running into switch (all in the loft). then i have ethernet cable out of there into the nvr ethernet port downstairs.

i was thinking of putting the nvr back into the loft and connecting camera's direct into nvr (plug and play connection ?), then using the single ethernet cable to convert into hdmi with some sort of adapter, but i dont know how to control the screen, as a bluetooth mouse wont connect so far (from ground floor downstairs to loft). maybe i could use the remote but would need to send the signal back upstairs into the loft. hopefully a signal converter will carry IR signal too (like sky tv users may do ?)

think ill have to do some research onto getting the camera's manually re-connected to the system. i think i remember the password, but i can always request a reset from the Hikvision support. Oh yes, also when i was trying to change the main camera to the bigger screen on the muliple screen view style, the camera's were dissapearing off the system !

some ideas would be appreciated !
hi, i ran a long usb cable from my unit and plug in the mouse when i need it, either corded or a blue tooth, the usb cable is under my desk unused most of
the time

Back