01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hiseeu Permanent Ethernet Connection instead of Wireless?

JaspaC

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on how to connect my cameras via ethernet cable instead of wirelessly.

I have the Hiseeu WK-4HBC23-1T system but the manual doesn't make it very clear as to weather or not this is possible. It explains that you can add cameras to the system by briefly connecting them via ethernet and then disconnecting again when the configuration in complete but it doesn't explain how to connect via ethernet permanently. The reason I wish to do this is because a number of houses in the areas have had burglaries whilst the thieves have used a signal jammer to stop the cameras working. Whether this sort of thing would be able to affect my system I don't know.

I've connected and routed ethernet cables to two of the cameras, which was a pain in the arse to say the least, and I'm a bit annoyed to find out that it might have been a waste of time.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

Jaspa

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on how to connect my cameras via ethernet cable instead of wirelessly.

I have the Hiseeu WK-4HBC23-1T system but the manual doesn't make it very clear as to weather or not this is possible. It explains that you can add cameras to the system by briefly connecting them via ethernet and then disconnecting again when the configuration in complete but it doesn't explain how to connect via ethernet permanently. The reason I wish to do this is because a number of houses in the areas have had burglaries whilst the thieves have used a signal jammer to stop the cameras working. Whether this sort of thing would be able to affect my system I don't know.

I've connected and routed ethernet cables to two of the cameras, which was a pain in the arse to say the least, and I'm a bit annoyed to find out that it might have been a waste of time.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

Jaspa
Do your cameras have external rj45 Ethernet connectors That are on all the time?

David

Hi @JaspaC

This looks like an all-in-one WiFi system (WiFi NVR & WiFi cameras) which will be why they push you towards WiFi set-up.

If the cameras have RJ45 Ethernet connectors then it should be possible to have cameras always wired, it doesn't look like this NVR has PoE ports so you will need to plug the cameras into a network switch on the same network as the NVR.

Once you've done that you should be able to go to the section shown in these instructions and use the Search button to find the cameras on the network and add them.

Thanks both.

David, the cameras do have RJ45 connectors that are always attached. (I don't know what you mean by always 'on'?)

Dan, thanks. I'm happy to leave the power cables attached to the cameras as well as the ethernet cable (seeing as they are both already wired in) does this mean I won't need a separate switch? Or failing that can I plug it into the WiFi router and search for it on the network that way?

I'm a complete amateur to this so any simple explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

J

the cameras do have RJ45 connectors that are always attached. (I don't know what you mean by always 'on'?)
J,
The ethernet interface (RJ45 socket) is always active and can be used to connect your cameras to the router.

Will your camera ethernet cables connect to your router LAN ports or will you go via a switch?

David

Hi David, I can easily plug it into the router instead of the NVR, is that what I should do?

Thanks

Hi David,

Apologies, I had already plugged the cameras ethernet cable into the WiFi router not the DVR as I mistakenly wrote earlier.

The DVR is in a tight spot to get a photo but here is the photo from the manual, which is identical to what I have:
4_1688969162.png

Following Dan's instructions, the main problem I have is that I don't know whether I am finding the cameras though WIFI or ethernet when I add it again. I wish the software made it clearer!

Thanks

J

Hi @JaspaC

If you can see the camera IP addresses in the NVR settings can you try opening browser, entering the camera IP address into the address bar, and try logging into the camera?

You might find network settings in the camera that will disable the WiFi connection so that the camera is definitely only connected via the IP address.

@JaspaC
what model router do you have?

Could you post a screenshot of the NVR camera connection setup page?

For now only connect one camera to the router LAN port.

Hi @JaspaC

If you can see the camera IP addresses in the NVR settings can you try opening browser, entering the camera IP address into the address bar, and try logging into the camera?

You might find network settings in the camera that will disable the WiFi connection so that the camera is definitely only connected via the IP address.
Hi Dan, I've found the IP addresses but when I put them into a browser there's no webpage for them.

David, the router is a Sky Q Hub SR203UK. I've connected only one of the cameras to it via ethernet now. Removing or reconnecting them seems to make no difference to the NVR page, the only thing that makes them disconnect is turning off the camera's power supply.

Here's the NVR set up page:

2023-10-16 18.11.51.jpg

@JaspaC,
If the camera is still connected to the NVR wifi network and your router ethernet port there may be a port conflict within the camera. For testing I would factory reset one camera or find a way to disconnect it from the NVR wifi network.

on the 172.nnn IP address what is the nnn number?

What is the full 192.168. IP address? This address is private to your local network.

David

Hi David,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have managed to fix it by fluke.

When I was re-adding the camera I noticed and unchecked 'don't show duplicate hardware' in the advanced settings and then I could see the camera twice.

Then after a bit of trial and error unplugging the ethernet cable etc... I managed to work out which was the WiFi and which was wired. I could have kept both but this seemed like a waste of storage.

Thanks for all your help guys!

@JaspaC,
Each wifi and ethernet interface has a unique MAC address, they can be easily identified.

Now that your cameras are getting IP addresses from the router there is a chance the IP addresses could change after router reboot. Your DVR will no longer be connected to the cameras.

On my cameras I keep DHCP enabled but setup my router to always give the same IP address to that particular camera. This is IP address reservation (fixed / static IP), there are other names. The camera network interface MAC address is used by the router to assign an IP address. On your router there should be an option to assign a fixed (static) IP address to the devices connected, it may be under advanced settings.

Thanks David.

Is the worst case scenario that it would add both the wireless and the wired together?

Thanks David.

Is the worst case scenario that it would add both the wireless and the wired together?
On your router device list the camera wifi and ethernet interfaces will each have their own unique MAC and IP address. The camera interface MAC addresses are permanently assigned by the manufacturer. If router DHCP is enabled IP addresses are automatically given to each interface by the router.

I would setup the router DHCP server to assign reserved (static) IP addresses to the ethernet and wifi interfaces but only connect the ethernet interface to the DVR to be recorded. The camera wifi interface can be left on and connected to your wifi network (not the DVR wifi). If the camera ethernet interface fails you can fall back to the wifi interface.

Did that make sense?

David

Right ok yes I see what you're saying.

I will have a play around with it later in the week. Thanks

Back