01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR with 3rd party WiFi IP Camera?

wappelt

I built a camera system for my home 3 years ago. The NVR is a Hiseeu NVR4K-P-8. 5 Hiseeu wired POE cameras were connected to this. 3 Hiseeu WiFi POE cameras on a switch and, due to the long distance, via a TP-LINK CPE220 Outdoor Wireless Access Point. It all worked great, but this summer the NVR overheated and broke.

I bought a Hikvision DS-7108NI-Q1/8P/M NVR and connected the system. It recognized the 5 Hiseeu wired POE cameras after I switched the protocol from Hikvision to ONVIF, but it does not recognize the 3 Hiseeu WiFi POE cameras.

Can the Hikvision DS-7108NI-Q1/8P/M NVR handle 5 3rd party wired POE cameras and 3 3rd party WiFi POE cameras at all? Please help me know what I messed up or what should be done differently than in the case of Hiseeu? Thanks in advance

Hi @wappelt

Your description is a little confusing, you mention the WiFi cameras being connected to a switch and also refer to them as 'WiFi PoE cameras'.

Are these WiFi cameras hardwired to a PoE switch or are they connected to the local network via WiFi?

Sorry, I worded it wrong. In the case of WiFi cameras, the term "POE" is used for no reason.
I will try to describe exactly how the network is structured.
Average family house, internet comes via cable. A WiFi router for the household (mobile phones, Netflix, etc.) is connected to the cable modem.
To separate the camera system from the household, I installed a second Wi-Fi router, which is connected to the first router with a cable.
The NVR is plugged into the first port of this second wifi router. The 5 POE IP cameras are connected directly to the NVR, they work fine.
The WiFi cameras are far away, so they communicate via an Outdoor Wireless Access Point. This Outdoor Wireless Access Point is connected to the second port of the second wifi switch with a cable.
I can't connect these cameras to the system with the new NVR and I don't know if it is even possible?

Okay,

So the WiFi PoE cameras are connected to your 2nd router via WiFi, is the Hikvision NVR detecting the WiFi cameras on your network and just not accepting them or are the cameras not being detected at all?

It doesn't detect cameras at all.

Attachments

• Topology.jpg
    Topology.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 180
Thanks,

Unfortunately, I think it is the case that Hikvision NVRs cannot detect/connect to 3rd-party WiFi cameras.

Previously, Hikvision has only supported WiFi cameras by pairing Hikvision WiFi cameras with special WiFi NVRs that have WiFi receivers to detect the WiFi cameras.

The standard NVRs don't usually detect WiFi cameras because the WiFi cameras interact with the network/router differently to hardwired cameras.

If you want to maintain those remote cameras, the only option is probably going to be swapping the Access Point for a WiFi Bridge, connecting a PoE switch to the camera side of the WiFi Bridge, and then connecting the WiFi cameras directly to the switch.

This should then bring the cameras onto your 2nd router's LAN IP address range and the cameras should then be visible to the NVR.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, I think it is the case that Hikvision NVRs cannot detect/connect to 3rd-party WiFi cameras.

Previously, Hikvision has only supported WiFi cameras by pairing Hikvision WiFi cameras with special WiFi NVRs that have WiFi receivers to detect the WiFi cameras.

The standard NVRs don't usually detect WiFi cameras because the WiFi cameras interact with the network/router differently to hardwired cameras.

If you want to maintain those remote cameras, the only option is probably going to be swapping the Access Point for a WiFi Bridge, connecting a PoE switch to the camera side of the WiFi Bridge, and then connecting the WiFi cameras directly to the switch.

This should then bring the cameras onto your 2nd router's LAN IP address range and the cameras should then be visible to the NVR.
Thanks for the replies Dan
You made me sad because the previous cheaper NVR worked with WiFi cameras with the same topology...

what IP addresses are the wifi cameras using and can you ping them?

David
Now I'm at work and the cameras are at home, so I won't be able to check until the afternoon, but I remember the wired cameras are now at 192.168.254.x. I access the WiFi cameras with a mobile phone app, they remain at the "old" IP address 192.168.2.x In the previous system, the wired cameras were also at the IP address 192.168.2.x. This is almost certainly not a good thing...

what IP addresses are the wifi cameras using and can you ping them?

David
These were the IP settings in the old system. Sorry that it's in Hungarian, but the gist is understandable

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6694.jpeg
    IMG_6694.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
Now I'm at work and the cameras are at home, so I won't be able to check until the afternoon, but I remember the wired cameras are now at 192.168.254.x. I access the WiFi cameras with a mobile phone app, they remain at the "old" IP address 192.168.2.x In the previous system, the wired cameras were also at the IP address 192.168.2.x. This is almost certainly not a good thing...
Ok, let me know when you are ready. The wired cameras are connected to the NVR private subnet which is isolated from your LAN.

Is the cpe220 in wifi AP mode with the wifi cameras connected to it?

What is the IP address of the router connected to the CPE220?

Ok, let me know when you are ready. The wired cameras are connected to the NVR private subnet which is isolated from your LAN.

Is the cpe220 in wifi AP mode with the wifi cameras connected to it?

What is the IP address of the router connected to the CPE220?
Yes, CPE220 wifi is in AP mode
The IP address of the router is 192.168.2.1

If you can ping the Wi-Fi cameras from the NVR then you should be able to connect them to the NVR.

what port numbers have you used to connect to the cameras?

david
How can i ping the cameras from the NVR?

How can i ping the cameras from the NVR?
The ping tool should be under network settings, I'm not sure if it is available when using the NVR web GUI. you could try pinging from a computer on your home network.

When you add the wifi cameras to the NVR, do you manually add them then select the onvif protocol?

what model numbers are the wifi cameras?

David

The ping tool should be under network settings, I'm not sure if it is available when using the NVR web GUI. you could try pinging from a computer on your home network.

When you add the wifi cameras to the NVR, do you manually add them then select the onvif protocol?

what model numbers are the wifi cameras?

David
In the router mobile app, I see that all three cameras are available on the network at IP addresses 192.168.2.62,71,94

I tried to add it manually by entering these IP addresses and selecting the ONVIF protocol, but it was unsuccessful

Now I see that in the case of the old NVR, the protocol was not ONVIF but NETIP. Maybe it should be set differently in this case?

Attachments

• IMG_6695.jpeg
    IMG_6695.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6705.jpeg
    IMG_6705.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
Now that I found this video, hope has returned. This is almost the same system as mine, with the difference that the cameras on the external router are wired in the example, while mine is Wi-Fi, but this should not matter:

This should work, I'm just too dumb for now. I'll try the SADP tool this weekend.

Now that I found this video, hope has returned. This is almost the same system as mine, with the difference that the cameras on the external router are wired in the example, while mine is Wi-Fi, but this should not matter:

This should work, I'm just too dumb for now. I'll try the SADP tool this weekend.
Some of my cameras are not hikvision but the sadp tool detects them as hikvision and they work with the hikvision protocol. From one of your earlier images, you may have to use the media port 34567. At a minimum RTSP should work but you'll need the RTSP URL.

What protocols do you see when manually adding the cameras?

David

Back