01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to download video from SD Card Recordings via Web Interface?

Snaffy

Didn't see this one coming :)
Just testing out my Camera and Fitted in a Samsung EVO 64GB SD Card and formatted it.
Set the recording to be continues and all seems fine.
I can playback the video files from the Web Interface just fine.

Or course, it would be nice to download them to my computer if needed.

So I made a quick silly name so it's easy to find, folder called Amiga on my local PC hard drive and entered it here.
Just as a quick simple test you understand. Will have better folders in the future.

e6f4b8873a95e609f70c347dafffd9c0.png

However, when I go to the web interface area where you play back recordings (which works fine)
And I try and save a selected file. I get:

I selected just the last segment recorded and tried to download it, and got this error:

e79ea2a65b12f12dbb0e1d842f10e7af.png

Anyone kind enough to explain to me (in easy to understand english ;) ) what I've done wrong here?

Much thanks in advance.

Wow, this really is puzzling me. Something on the face of it, I thought was simply browse to a folder, and files get saved there.
I have to giggle a bit how not knowing how something works is just mind blowing, yet I'm sure there is a simple explanation.

A little more experimenting has shown me, if I try and browse to and save a actual real location on my PC's drives. The recording will fail.
In live view also, press the Record or Snapshot icons and it pops up a fail message.

If I however change it to a non existent folder on my PC (not sure how I can see it in Hikvision browser, when it does not actually exist on my drive, but hey!)
Then it will seemingly record, but this recording does not exist in real terms. Crazy man! :)

If I enter the following paths as shown in the manual below:
4ad892c3caefc13696611444b5886018.png

The recording functions appear to work, however those locations don't appear to actually exist in reality on my C: Drive.
(Real head scratcher :) )

Looking forward very much to some clever savior that can explain what's going on here, and hopefully steer me in the right way to be able to save video/clips etc onto the hard drive of my PC.

Little update. Managed to find the answer to my problems above :)

And indeed, I'd never have guessed the answer in a million years, but now I know it's simple (as most things are when you know!) :)

My thanks goes out to "digger11" on another (The Other?) Forums/Site for his post, which I'll add below, simply in order to perhaps help someone else, new, one day who is stuck and confused as I was.
The solution from 6 years ago!

==============================================================
"Files created by taking a snapshot, recording video, or downloading saved clips, go into their respective sub-folders under the C:\Users\%username%\Web folder.

BUT if IE is running in Protected Mode, these folders get virtualized, and show up under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\%username%\Web
AND I think they get removed immediately.

The easiest way to address this is to add your camera's IP address to the list of trusted sites.

Open the camera's GUI in the browser.
Click on Tools (the little gear symbol)>Internet Options>Security>Trusted sites>Sites>
Clear the checkbox for "Require server verification (https: ) for all sites in this zone", and then hit the "Add" button to add the camera to the list of trusted sites.

You'll probably have to close and restart the browser for it to take effect."

=============================================================

Oh and have downloaded the latest version of VLC which appears to play back the files perfectly.

Scrub this last bit as VLC seems to really struggle to play higher quality files back. many jumps and blocks in movement.
Media Player Classic seems much better, though still seems to play back as if I'm walking in rather slow motion.

If anyone cares to recommend the best playback app (other than these) I'd welcome your suggestion.

Thanks

Last edited:

Thanks for that tip.

Do we know, or has anyone (in the know) spoken to HikVision and tried to find out why their software only correctly supports a old Web Browser, two generations of products old, that even the makers, Microsoft have moved on from.
Do we know why they do not/have not/do not wish to be compatible with modern web browsers?

Quote: from Sept 2019
"We shouldn't still be having this conversation, but here we are.
On Monday, Microsoft warned users of its once beloved Internet Explorer that a critical vulnerability in the browser allows malicious actors to hijack the computers of those running the outdated program. In other words, if you still use Internet Explorer, you should really stop.
Like, right now."

Last edited:
Hikvision (and other manufacturers) have found it very challenging to re-engineer their browser access and enable video since NPAPI was removed from the mainstream/modern browsers.

Some manufacturers have now engineered solutions.

The latest Hikvision cameras/NVRs/firmware will show video in the Chrome browser, but with some limitations.

It IS disappointing that Hikvision (the world's largest CCTV manufacturer), with all their resources, have not yet provided a full and proper solution that works with modern browsers :(

Of course, we dread that this situation worsens before they solve it.

Recent updates for Mac owners, to the Catalina operating system and Safari browser have cause Mac users an awful lot of grief!

Thank you Phil.
You're posts are always so informative, and I enjoy Googling to find more about the points you raise.
As someone who is not "into" Networking in any serious way, and has not used IE for a l-o-n-g time, and never for security cameras as I've always used either a mobile app or windows app that was written by the makers, this NPAPI was something I've never heard of.

I always want to be positive, and look to the good aspects of any brand, but I will admit, I do wish HikVision would perhaps make/be somehow forced to make some updates in some areas.
The browser issue your raised being one.
Perhaps updating the NVR's as the popular models, by tech standards seem to have been around a long time now.

On that note. Whilst the model of NVR may still be the same as it was say 3+ years ago. Do we know if they improve the internal hardware, more efficient chips etc?
whilst keeping the model number the same.
I am close to considering an NVR. probably the DS-7608NI-I2/8P But I do have my own "issues" about the cost for something that could perhaps be very due for a refresh.

Many often say some companies just get too large and cumbersome that they are slow to change, where a newer company can be very dynamic with using the latest of what's out there.
Is there any opinion than HikVision, despite making many great products suffer some of this?

The Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR is still the best performer (for a sensible price).
The IDS and NXI models have more features, but are very expensive, very rarely purchased [perhaps 'halo' products with features that will in due course become mainstream].

I think Hikvision adopt the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They do of course make improvements throughout a product's lifetime by updating the firmware.

They do not make physical / component improvements (changes) under the same model code. If there is a change, they will change the part code e.g. the 7604 NVR became the 7604B.
That NVR became fanless.
Hikvision forgot to mention that to their Partners.
Nor did they initially mention that they removed some capabilities - the original model had built-in ANPR capability, which they removed from the B model.

Generally, Chinese manufacturers have a mentality to compete by making THE cheapest product possible :rolleyes:.
They will release newer products that use cheaper components.
They see competition within their market.
They fear being undercut and losing market share to competitors who manage to produce cheaper solutions.

I honestly believe that they are missing a trick in 'the West' by not providing better product, for a few dollars more!
Currently, many of our and their customers are 'slightly dissatisfied' with the product.
A few cents more for a better processor, a bit more memory, some quieter fans, a bit more bandwidth, etc. would delight their customers and make them 'raving fans' of Hikvision :)

Ironically, this slight under-performance makes them vulnerable; if I could find 'better' product, I would present and promote it to you all :D
A better product would give us at use-IP an edge.

Unfortunately, despite buying & testing alternatives, we have so far been unable to find those better products.
Milesight was an interesting diversion; lovely-looking products, but still not yet offering a fully joined-up range (and their progress in resolving issues has been so painfully slow :confused:).
Dahua nag us to represent them and sell their range - we have product here; some pros, some cons - not overall better ... :(
We only work with IP CCTV - we are hands-on with everything from Optio to Milestone Systems VMS, we are always alert to different and better ~ any signs of progress!
We don't/won't won't flip-flop, we have to be sure that what we recommend can be supported for the long-term.

I guess, whilst I'm bashing-out a quick 'state of the Nation' for you ;), our biggest disappointment is the Taiwanese manufacturers who were leading the market a few years ago and then let the Chinese manufacturers whoop them!

Come on ACTi, GeoVision, Vivotek - get your act together and come back strong!!!

Our customers want some 16MP super low-light cameras, super-strong NVRs, Home assistant integration to their existing TVs ("Hey Google, show me on my main TV if anybody went near my car last night"), optimised Apps, and Google/Amazon cloud backup!!
Why are you all messing around with niche solutions for fisheye cameras, 180° panoramic cameras, AI and facial recognition???
Products that nobody is asking for!
Facial Recognition that the law in the West is not even going to allow people to install!!
(not even the UK Police at the moment!)

Thanks Phil for that amazing and excellent post.
I really appreciate your honesty is saying it like it is, and not just trying to gloss over issues for items on sale.
What you say actually rings very true with the feeling I've got over the past few weeks of reading up on HikVision, and previous information I'd gathered before deciding to tip my toe in the water.
I cannot agree enough that it would be so amazing for them to get SMART, but perhaps they feel they don't need to as business are renowned for being behind the home user on many things. It just has to work and be solid for work.
I do have a Google/Nest Hello (doorbell) and honestly it's one of the best items I've ever bought. 24 hour cloud recording, face recognition, being able to view it on Google Home Hubs.
Totally recommend the product. Ok, it's no 8mp 4K device, but it's find for what it is, and I've named all my postman :)

Also agree with the view of just make it a little more, but it's not just HikVision that do it. I remember well, some cheap Android tablets that were all round great, and they they ruined it by skimping on the rear camera, and another £5 would have fixed it.

If like to see Speakers options on most Cameras. Probably not important for business.

I was almost going to go with Google for camera's and I have bought a couple to test, but was shocked at home bad the image quality is, for high priced devices.
I suspect it's due to the 24 hour recording so they are reducing the data rate, but it's too harsh.

After testing quite a few, I found TP Link indoor camera's to be actually very nice, and amazing speakers (I can hear a plane fly over!)
And I like the notification thumbnails. (sometimes the software can be just as important as the hardware)

But for outdoor security I want something VERY good, and hence HikVision, and at the moment I think this is the way to go.

I will admit I've looked at a lot of Reolink devices, (Reolink do seem to have their act together) but reading about fake reviews, and demos, has put me off.
I've seen some great YouTube demo;'s of Reolink 4K, but I don't know if they are genuine video's.

Having tested my HikVision at night, I was very impressed by the lack of grain/noise in the image.

Hopefully some other brand will come forward to force HikVision to move forward a bit more in our current smart world that's evolved over the past few years.

People knock Reolink for having a closed, consumer-focused system but they are world leaders in some important respects. Without doubt, they write the best multi-platform software and possibly the only elegant and stable client software for the world's finest desktop computers.

And they develop some very interesting technology which few other companies bother with. I applaud them for their completely wires-free wi-fi cameras, including the solar-powered models. And I am currently testing, and can recommend, their new Lumus 1080P wi-fi camera which includes a PIR-activated floodlight and 2-way audio in a tiny form factor but needs a mains connection. Unlike other wi-fi cams, it can display a live feed 24/7 without cut-off and I'm finding it perfect as a patio monitor for my feral cat who is not allowed a cat flap to bring his grisly and sometimes living prey into the house.

Their packaging and presentation is Apple-elegant and their online tech support is excellent.

But their wi-fi cameras suffer from the inherent drawbacks of wi-fi for mission-critical security use. And their higher end IP cameras fall some way short of the likes of Hikvision in terms of features and functionality. For example a PTZ camera which takes up to 20 seconds to auto-focus is not very useful.

Reolink doubtless do a good job of getting newbies into the market and handing them on to Hikvision, Dahua and others so the industry needs them imho.

Much as I prefer my Hikvision POE cameras, they are over-specified and overly complicated to install and set up for most domestic users I suspect - with maddening security protocols which must be designed for nuclear research stations rather than 23 Acacia Drive. And they need rebooting/upgrading/troubleshooting more often than Reolink's cameras do [partly because Reolink are slow to upgrade firmware and even slower to upgrade their Mac software].

Thanks for the tip. I could not figure this out either. It does work. I have spent a couple of nights trying to figure out how to download from a Sony SNC-VB635 camera SD card. Thanks

I also found out, if I just "Enable" the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) function for HTTPS in the camera it works without disabling the "Require server verification (https: )" under Internet Explorer.

Back