01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 iVMS-4200 software

milleniumaire

With my new DS-7608NI-I2-8P (DS-7600 Series) NVR I got a CD containing manuals and a VERY OLD version of iVMS-4200 (version 2.6.11.5 build 180905). In my experience I've learnt that CD's provided with products are usually best ignored and the latest versions of software downloaded from the manufacturers website. This is no different and it makes me wonder why Hikvision even bother to provide the CD given the age of the software it contains!

So, the CD went in the bin and I downloaded the latest version of iVMS-4200 v3.6.1.5 build 20210831, which has a completely different (more modern) look and feel to it. However, compared to the browser version of the tool, it seems to be very limited in what it can do and is more "device" orientated (setting up cameras) than providing NVR functionality e.g. upgrading firmware, setting up DST etc.

I also noticed on the Hikvision support site that this client software was no longer supported, I assume because the web version is better. So, given that iVMS-4200 is now obsolete and the CD contains a version at least 2 major versions out of date, why do they provide the CD? Is there actually any advantage to using iVMS-4200?

Hi @milleniumaire

We agree that the CD is pointless and we don't understand why they haven't either removed it or produced a new disc with the latest version on it.

iVMS-4200 can be a very useful tool for a variety of scenarios, most commonly it is used either when your system features multiple NVRs and/or multiple individual cameras recording to MicroSD card storage. iVMS becomes useful in these scenarios because it allows you to view the live view and recording from these multiple devices in one place (e.g. not having to log in to each device with a browser).

Also, in regards to upgrading firmware and DST, all of these settings should be available by accessing the Remote Configuration of each device in device management, which is explained in this YouTube video along with lots of the other features of iVMS.

The only main NVR function that iVMS-4200 won't support is local recording (e.g. recording event or continuous footage from the cameras directly to the HDDs of the PC you are running iVMS on). This feature was previously supported by iVMS-4200 VS in conjunction with their Storage Server software, but iVMS-4200 VS and Storage Server have been discontinued.

Thanks Dan, I thought I must be missing something and I was! I hadn't "Added" my NVR, which I realised after watching the video you provided a link to. Now I see that I can access the web pages of the NVR through this software. I think this is what you mean by "Remote Configuration" i.e. via a browser window.

Hello all. This is my first post here but I've been reading for a few weeks and this has been an excellent forum for me to find out what my new system can do beyond what I asked the installer to provider as a minimum.

I've been playing with iVMS 4200 for a few days and I think it will be my main way to access the NVR when I'm away from home as the NVR web interface is quite limited in what it can do in terms of playback and finding events (maybe I'm using it incorrectly though). I'm surprised at the big differences between the macOS and Windows very of iVMS 4200 and the former is very poor in features and performance compared to the Windows version which sees very good. Luckily I run a VM with Windows on my Mac and so I can have the better version with me on the same machine.

Back