01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Linking 2 Network Switches

Jon Whittaker

Hi all

I have a quick query regarding Hikvision Network Switches.

We currently have a Hikvision NVR, the cameras themselves are connected to a Hikvision DS-3E0318P-E 16 Port Unmanaged PoE Switch that is in turn connected to our router. The NVR picks the cameras up off the network.

We want to expand the number of cameras and also want a PTZ camera which will require a different network switch I believe, that will carry 60w POE. My question is, can you recommend a suitable POE switch for our additional PTZ camera - and, can we connect the new switch to the existing switch or will we have to run a new ethernet cable between the new switch and the router? I ask this as the router is based a long away away from the switch locations.

Many thanks

There's no issue connecting a switch to a switch as you describe. If the switch you currently have won't support the PoE requirements of the PTZ you don't need an additional switch just a suitable PoE injector to sit between the existing switch and the camera. You can use the Hikvision one or just grab one on Amazon.

Do remember that if you daisy chain switches then if one switch goes down then you've lost connection. This is why I prefer having seperate cables back to the router from all my switches.

Back