01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Minimum CCTV Signage size (UK GDPR/DPA)

Aardmann

Does anyone know if there is a minimum legal dimension for UK CCTV Signage and what sections of GDPR and Data Protection act the dimensions are defined.

I don't know whether the Regs specify sizes.
The spirit of the Law is fairness.
That people have a right to be made aware that CCTV is in operation in the area that they are entering.
The accepted 'rule of thumb' always was:
  • A4-sized signs at pedestrian entrances to a site/building
  • A3-sized signs at vehicle entry points

The signs should state the purpose, the controller, and how to contact them:

Typically, the company name as the controller.
"Safety & Security" as the purpose.
A contact phone number, and possibly a job title, in the further information field.

Attachments

• Example CCTV Warning Sign 30-11-21.png
    Example CCTV Warning Sign 30-11-21.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for the update, I have just called the UK Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and they confirmed that there is no Legal minimum size, the only requirement is that it must be visible to the public.

As my property is a private residence I want to stick to the letter of the law and have put up signs adjacent to my cameras. I've been advised by the Police that they have no objections to CCTV however, I want to cover myself legally due to a vindicate person who lives a couple of streets away.

As you can appreciate I dont want to put up great big signs as A: They detract from my property visage, and B: they attract attention that there is a camera there and potentially makes my house a target.

Back