01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Need Help with Building a 50-Camera CCTV Network Across Different Networks, Including 4G

MoIP

Hello everyone,

I'm embarking on a project to set up a CCTV network comprising roughly 50 cameras. The challenge here is that these cameras won't be on the same network, and some of them need to be compatible with 4G. (Up until now, I only set up CCTV in the same network.)

Here are my primary questions:

Camera Recommendations: With the diverse networking requirements in mind, are there any specific camera brands or models you'd suggest? I'm looking for something reliable, with good image quality, and preferably easy to set up.

Port forwarding: Is this a recommended practice for my scenario? Or is there a better idea, like a VPN?

Video Management System (VMS): Which VMS would you recommend for this kind of setup? I'd appreciate any insights into ease of use, compatibility with various camera brands, and overall reliability.

Also, if there are any other considerations I should be aware of while setting up this network, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

The Ground Truth is that Hikvision solutions remain (by far) the most cost-effective.
Hikvision offer every conceivable camera type you are ever likely to need.
They work well.
Leading-edge Tech.
Have a great long warranty (typically 3yrs) and very low failure rates.

When people are driven to consider alternatives, they typically balk at paying twice as much for a similar solution from any other brand.

VPN is best if you can configure.

VMS comparisons are very challenging; there are many factors!
For instance, do you intend to have a control room, or a monitor wall?
How many users?
Skill & experience level?
Mobile App access?

Some further coverage of the topic here:
CCTV Software for schools
(schools often have large systems)

Other factors would be budget - not just to purchase, but also to sustain the software.
Premium CCTV software, such as Milestone, has ongoing CARE Support costs.

Network Optics does not have future costs, but may cost more per licence initially.

Vivotek VAST (which became popular as one of the most straight forward to use / live with, was recently replaced by Vivotek's new VSS software (first user feedback reports little difference, so probably still a good option).

Luxriot is solid, great support.

There are dozens more that we know nothing about :)

All CCTV software vendors will offer a free trial version - it is best to shortlist a few and see how the end-user gets on with it.

Bear in mind also, that IT Departments tend to have a big say on software purchases.
Some software plays nicely with virtual machines, others not so much.
Some software has good corporate integration with Active Directory ...

Back