01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

My Home Made Security System

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Not quite on the cheap, but spread out enough that it hasn't been a financial issue!

I started out with cheapie SD cameras and NAS. ftp was fine. NAS just happened to be Sysnology, and someone pointed out their Surveillance Station software to me. 2 free licenses.... I stuck with 2 they give free as I was searching for cameras that looked better than what I had, on a budget...
I had already built a time server on a Raspberry PI, for use at location with no internet.... for the SD Version of the Security System. But though SD Cameras got me going, an update to better cameras was needed...
Eventually Retired to house in Mountains and got internet access.... Kept time Server, and search for better cameras started in earnest.
Came across 2CD2042WD-1 that a user thought was too complicated to use in conjunction with his other cameras, and so I got it on the cheap! .... Absolutely Beautiful Picture!!!! Then Discovered Sysnology's SS made video out of stream at HD rate! Found an issue that didn't make sense, and after being rejected from USA HikVision Support altogether, I stumbled onto this site....

I posted here, and Phil informed me of the Back Door Camera had... I examined and found it was true. Removed from LAN and upgraded firmware (which fixed issue I'd seen) and then it was just what I wanted!!

I then decided I'd take that "Back Door" dis-advantage and use it as an advantage!

These cameras were being dumped... as long as they were not from China, I was able to pick them up on the cheap....
Upgrade the firmware....
Set them up to ftp to my NAS....
And NAS allowed for 2 live cameras image for free, and access to NAS for free, from anywhere in world!

WIN--WIN Situation!!!

Someone from a Linux/Unix site wrote a script file that when run deleted older than so many days or folder Filesize, and that kept overall file size per camera within reason.... That prevented Spiders attracted to IR LEDS on outside camera's from filling up hard drives!!!!

And as I picked up cameras cheaply ($19-60) they were pressed into service after update and configuration....

I couldn't be happier!!!

Lastly.... In my router I blocked Access to the Internet on all Security Cameras (8x 2042, and one remaining SD Camera).... Once that last SD Camera is upgraded to a 2042 system will be finished, and I could not be more thankfull to the assistance I've received from this site!!!

Jan J (Retired in the Mountains of Western North Carolina--USA)
P.S. to this.... Just found last open box camera 2042 to complete system by retiring last SD Camera... 9 cameras... Project Completed!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Jan, glad we could help a little :)

Back