01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Night-time performance difference between my 2 ColorVu camera models?

wizard

I have the following DS-2CD2387G2P 8mp panoramic and a DS-2CD2347G2 4mp turret both LSU/SL
At night (with some low level street background ligths) I can see the image on the panoramic is way superior to the turret although when I look at the detailed specs I cant see an obvious difference on lens (clearly the panoramic has 2). Noting the mp difference its the vividness and color that the panoramic shows in almost pitch black

Can someone let me know
Thanks

It would be really helpful if you could upload an example from each.
Sometimes, when we see the image, the cause is plain to the experienced eye.
For example if we see a light source within a view (your camera may be looking at a street lamp, for example - which causes it to squint to accommodate that bright point and then appear to deliver a poor overall image).

See enclosed the image. Side is the 4mp turret, right is the 8mp panoramic. thanks for looking

Attachments

• cam1.JPG
    cam1.JPG
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 260
Are we actually looking at two views captured at the same time?
If you view those two cameras LIVE now, are they both showing the same/correct time?
Your front camera seems to be capturing the sun rising at 03:22? (light and shadows in front of the van)
In the UK today?
The BBC weather page says that the sun rise was at 07:25 this morning.

Hi, yes captured at the same time
Enclosed for mid day today yes the same and correct time on each
I think the "sun" is actually some light from the house opposite and I checked its pretty much on in the night

Attachments

• cam3.JPG
    cam3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
I am actually a bit blown away by the performance that panoramic camera is delivering in the middle of the night!
I assume it has a white LED for each lens, and you have these on all night?
Have you made any adjustments to any camera settings, or is this at default?

Hi @wizard

Yes, very impressive night colour images.

Can you log in to both cameras and go to Configuration > System System Settings > Basic Information and confirm the 'Firmware Version' & 'Firmware Version Property' of each camera?

Thanks for the replies

Panoramic
V5.7.1 build 220225
V7.3 build 220225
Day/Night Switch Auto
Sensitivity 5
Filter 5
Smart Supp light ON
Supplement light mode OFF

Turret
V5.7.12 build 221201
V7.3 build 221122
Day/Night Switch Auto
Sensitivity 4
Filter 5
Smart Supp light OFF
Supplement light mode OFF

Must admit the panoramic is very very good at night....just wondering if any other format hikvision (ie turret) could match it as I need to buy some more cameras

Thanks @wizard

It looks like your configuration between the cameras is very similar, you could try the smart supp light on the 2347G2 2.8mm turret which might improve it performance but I think the larger issue is that the location of the 2.8mm turret is darker than the panoramic and also there is a substantial hardware difference between the 2 models.

The panoramic 8MP camera is actually made up of 2 x 4MP 4mm cameras and the other turret is one 4MP 2.8mm camera, this means the 2.8mm turret is actually using the same number of pixels (as each of the 4mm cameras) to cover a wider FoV which could be what is causing the increased noise and drop in resolution.

Possibly a single DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL 8MP 2.8/4mm turret might give you something closer to the quality of the panoramic, but we can't say for sure. If you are happy to put another panoramic in to replace the 2347G2 then that might be the best option as you already know what kind of performance you will get from that.

Thanks Dan for the comprehensive response. I might buy the DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL 8MP 4mm for the other side of the house
Regards

Reactions: Dan
@wizard - What do you have the exposure time set to on the panoramic camera? Looking at the image it must be set very slow - I'm guessing it may be 1/12 sec or slower?

its a 1/3
At 1/12 the pic is like this...

Regards

Attachments

• pic123.JPG
    pic123.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 151
That’s the mystery solved of why it looks so good. Each time you double the exposure time, you’re exposing the image sensor to the available light for double the time. Unfortunately that will causes issues:

1 - Recorded footage image blur. When you pause playback if someone moving, the movement over 1/3 second will be your still image. At slowish walking pace someone’s face may have moved 300mm in that time.

2 - Frame rate. If your cameras are at 12 frames per second and exposure is 1/3 second that’s no good. Exposure time ideally needs to be the same or faster than frame rate, so at least 1/25 sec for 25 fps etc (possibly slightly different with ColorVu as default settings are 1/12 sec with 25 fps whereas default for other models is 1/25 sec)

3 - Wide Dynamic Range if needed cannot be used at slower exposure times.

I never go slower than 1/50 sec to reduce motion blur.

Back