01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR: 2 cables for net and camera access?

RoundSquare

I think I'm confusing myself.

My router is in a cupboard upstairs. Next to it I have a POE switch where I'm going to have the cameras plugged into.
The NVR will be downstairs.

I want the NVR to connect to the internet for Hik Connect to work.

Do I have to run 2 cat cables to the NVR. 1 for the cameras and 1 for internet access?

I can install 2 cables no problem as I have access.

If I only had 1 cable could I use a switch for the cameras and internet combined?

Thanks

A typical router has 4 ports and an internet plug. Your POE switch will plug into one of those four ports, and your cameras will plug into your POE switch. You then have one cable going from another of the 4 router ports to your NVR network connection socket, and no cables to any of the NVR's POE ports if it has any. You then add the cameras connected to your POE switch via their IP addresses into the NVR - and the NVR records the images and sends them back up the same one cable out to the internet for your HIKconnect app.

Thanks folks.

When I initially got the set up I plugged both cameras straight into the NVR with no problems.

When I got my switch I plugged both cameras into that but also ran a cat cable to a POE port in the NVR as well as a cable to the Lan port

I mistakenly assumed the cameras still connected via the poe ports rather than the LAN port. I did have great problems adding one of the camera, I wonder if that's why?

The system is not installed yet, hence why I want to get it sorted before it goes in.

Thanks again.

You will need one cable going from your Internet router to your NVR.

Then one cable needs to go from the NVR's camera ports to your POE switch.
Then plug all your cameras into the POE switch.

Back