01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR-208MH-C / 8P (HILOOK) - how to upgrade the firmware on my cameras?

Gazzamius

Hello. was wondering if anyone can help..... have setup my CCTV home cameras. and was wondering how to upgrade the firmware on my HIKVISION DS-2CD2386G2-IU camera. have downloaded the digicap firmware and tried to upgrade via the HiLook System maintenance program. to no avail. keep getting failure message. the HiLook program does not actually show the cameras. just the current NVR firmware (V4.72.109 build 230107)

I am still on alearning curve into networking. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards Gaz

Hello. was wondering if anyone can help..... have setup my CCTV home cameras. and was wondering how to upgrade the firmware on my HIKVISION DS-2CD2386G2-IU camera. have downloaded the digicap firmware and tried to upgrade via the HiLook System maintenance program. to no avail. keep getting failure message. the HiLook program does not actually show the cameras. just the current NVR firmware (V4.72.109 build 230107)

I am still on alearning curve into networking. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards Gaz
I'm not familiar with HiLook as I don't use it. It sounds as though you might be trying to update the camera firmware while you're logged into the NVR which won't be possible. You'll need to log directly into the camera to load the firmware. I'm not sure whether the HiLook NVR browser configuration has the same "virtual host" feature as the Hikvision NVRs. With those you would enable the Virtual Host switch in the NVR configuration using a web browser in System > Network > Advanced > Other. The camera would then be accessible from a web browser using http://NVR_IP_Address:6500? (where NVR_IP_Address is the IP address of your NVR and ? is the camera number)

If you know what the IP address is for the camera while attached to the NVR, you could plug a laptop into a spare PoE port on the NVR, set the laptop IP address in the same range (for standard Hikvision it's 192.168.254.xxx) and then connect to the camera using a web browser and load the firmware in Configuration > System > System Settings > Maintenance page. Otherwise you'd have to temporarily disconnect the camera from the NVR and connect to it using a laptop and PoE switch or PoE adaptor.

I am so grateful, for your reply and assistance Guru. that sounds like something i can do. just never thought of doing it that way ..... will pop out tomorrow and get myself a poe adapter. and attempt the upgrade. did not know that either I was thinking of investing in a HIKVISION NVR, as I ourchased a HIKVISION DS-2CD2386G2-IU to replace a hilook camera. and the difference is staggering. once again thanks for the help my friend. I will keep you updated. kind regards Gaz

I am so grateful, for your reply and assistance Guru. that sounds like something i can do. just never thought of doing it that way ..... will pop out tomorrow and get myself a poe adapter. and attempt the upgrade. did not know that either I was thinking of investing in a HIKVISION NVR, as I ourchased a HIKVISION DS-2CD2386G2-IU to replace a hilook camera. and the difference is staggering. once again thanks for the help my friend. I will keep you updated. kind regards Gaz
You can probably do it just as easily without the adaptor if you can see somewhere in the HiLook NVR what IP address has been assigned to the camera (there will be a page in the menu showing the connected cameras). In the example below let's assume that you find the camera has an IP address of 192.168.254.7

1. On a laptop set the IP address manually in the same range as the IP address - 192.168.254.150 for example (with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.000)
  2. Connect the laptop directly to a spare camera PoE port on the NVR. If there isn't a spare (all 8 are in use) just temporarily disconnect one of them (but obviously not the one you want to upgrade)
  3. Open a web browser and navigate to http://192.168.254.7 (or whatever IP address your camera has) You should get the camera login page.
  4. Enter admin for the username and the password. Unless you set something manually when you installed it, it will likely have been automatically assigned with the NVR admin password.
  5. Select Configuration > System Settings. At the bottom of the page you will see 'Firmware Version Property'. This will contain either a G3 or G5. Make sure that the firmware you have downloaded is for whatever is there. For G3 versions the latest and final firmware is 5.5.801 and is available on the Hikvision Portal. For G5 versions the latest version is 5.7.13 and is available on the camera's product page on the Hikvision website.
  6. Click on Maintenance. Then beneath upgrade click the browse button and navigate to to the digicap.dav that you have downloaded and click Open/Upload.
  7. Click the Upgrade button.
  8. The upgrade will progress and then the camera will reboot
  9. Once the login page appears again it's done
  10. Disconnect the laptop.

Hi JB1970 apologies for the tardy reply. I don't have a laptop, but I did run a cable from a spare POE port on NVR to a USB3 RJ45 adapter on my Desktop PC .... found the necessary camera port for upgrading firmware. and it all went like a dream. not a nightmare ;)

thanks for all your assistance sir. regards Gaz

Back