01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Upgrade to a newer model NVR?

maxcars1

I currently have an NVR that been installed some 14 months and it seems that there are no updates that seem to exist or work Ds- 7604 NI K1/4P. Currently 4.75.200 build 231110. I've been recommended the DS 7604NXI - K1/4P. by my installer - the reason will come apparent . I have the following cameras installed Qty 1 DS-2CD2347G2 - LU, Qty 2 DS 2CD2346G2 -IU AND Qty 1 2CD 2T46G20-2I/4L. I've been told that the new NVR will have more adjustment for intrusion detection (constantly getting false alerts from neighbouring cats ). But also a newish NVR still on the portal with updates available I suppose.

Currently the issue I have is when the installer goes to the update on the NVR and cameras he tells me there's no updates available. he's been given a firmware from the Hikvison Wholesaler which he downloaded to a USB stick and this wouldn't work :(

I was also wondering if the cameras could be upgrade directly from the upgraded NVR?

Any thoughts on this change would be gratefully received.

This journey all started back in December when I read about the security issue with certain Hikvision products. Ive been trying to get the installer to update my cameras and NVR ever since.

I currently have an NVR that been installed some 14 months and it seems that there are no updates that seem to exist or work Ds- 7604 NI K1/4P. Currently 4.75.200 build 231110. I've been recommended the DS 7604NXI - K1/4P. by my installer - the reason will come apparent . I have the following cameras installed Qty 1 DS-2CD2347G2 - LU, Qty 2 DS 2CD2346G2 -IU AND Qty 1 2CD 2T46G20-2I/4L. I've been told that the new NVR will have more adjustment for intrusion detection (constantly getting false alerts from neighbouring cats ). But also a newish NVR still on the portal with updates available I suppose.

Currently the issue I have is when the installer goes to the update on the NVR and cameras he tells me there's no updates available. he's been given a firmware from the Hikvison Wholesaler which he downloaded to a USB stick and this wouldn't work :(

I was also wondering if the cameras could be upgrade directly from the upgraded NVR?

Any thoughts on this change would be gratefully received.

This journey all started back in December when I read about the security issue with certain Hikvision products. Ive been trying to get the installer to update my cameras and NVR ever since.
14 months old seems very soon to replace an NVR, when some of your issues may be down to your installer rather than the hardware itself. Hikvision NVR's are known to give the message 'No firmware update available' or similar, even if there are. Hikvision also have a fairly (to me) complicated and convoluted firmware update portal in terms of being able to find what you're looking for, and your installer may potentially have just downloaded the wrong firmware, as the model number could have been quite similar to another. I'll let the experts work out which is the latest firmware for your machine - I'm sure someone else will be along in a while to point you in the right direction there.

Your false alarms could be through the existing settings being set too sensitively.

It does seem as though you have an Accusense NVR model - are your cameras connected directly to the NVR? Or have you got them fitted via a POE switch?

To be fair - whichever NVR you have it's always possible to get false alarms - but with the right settings they can be minimised. Do you know your way around the event settings and adjustments?

14 mths. old and now not shown on the Hikvson site as a current model and no positive firmware available - one wouldn't buy a PC and accept this issue surely. I'm sure the current NVR isn't Accusense,. However, 3 of the cameras are as I originally had colorvu, which as we know had the constant lights on in the evening - hence the change to Accusense and leaving one colorvu at the front where we have street light, but I've turned the led off in Hik Connect App. Ive had numerous settings changed in the events on the NVR - one particular is daring a small box apparently to identify small animals - still get false alerts. There's no POE switch in the system. The firmware was provided by the wholesaler tech support, so I would assume this is correct, albeit it wouldn't load over my current firmware saying mine was current.

14 mths. old and now not shown on the Hikvson site as a current model and no positive firmware available - one wouldn't buy a PC and accept this issue surely. I'm sure the current NVR isn't Accusense,. However, 3 of the cameras are as I originally had colorvu, which as we know had the constant lights on in the evening - hence the change to Accusense and leaving one colorvu at the front where we have street light, but I've turned the led off in Hik Connect App. Ive had numerous settings changed in the events on the NVR - one particular is daring a small box apparently to identify small animals - still get false alerts. There's no POE switch in the system. The firmware was provided by the wholesaler tech support, so I would assume this is correct, albeit it wouldn't load over my current firmware saying mine was current.
Is it this one? I think I misread your original mention of the model number.

NVR's are not quite like other consumer items - they don't have new models every fortnight - and the technology and software doesn't seem to evolve quickly like say your home computer on Windows or a Macbook does. The software/interface still feels a bit clunky even on newer models, but there are better options available than the model you have, however as always it comes down to budget. I'm not familiar with your machine directly (the specific model) but many do have a 'minimum' and 'maximum' box option for many smart events - but it might be worth checking you've got it set up the right way, and that your 'senstivity' and 'threshold' settings aren't too extreme.

If there's no POE switch - your cameras are connected directly to the NVR via the four ports on the back?

Your cameras are AcuSense. The NXI (AcuSense) model NVR will not improve the detection as the AcuSense in the cameras is better and more adaptable than that in the NVRs.

Firmware for the cameras needs to be updated directly on the camera and can't be done on the NVR itself. It's easy to do once the virtual host function has been switched on in the NVR (Network > Advanced > Other (tab). We'd need to know whether your G2 cameras use the older G3 platform firmware or newer G5 (c revision hardware). If it's the latter and they're 18 months old they will certainly be out of date (though the G3 platform models no longer receive updates)

if I have G2 cameras can these be updated to G5 hardware? it seems again if there are G3 and not received updates then my system is a waste of time - out of date?

if I have G2 cameras can these be updated to G5 hardware? it seems again if there are G3 and not received updates then my system is a waste of time - out of date?
G2 model cameras use either G3 or G5 platform firmware. G3 is at 5.5.801 (I think) G5 latest is at 5.7.14. You can only use the firmware for your installed cameras. In the camera this is shown under 'Firmware Version Property' on the system settings page. First you need to determine what you've got.

As for a system being a waste of time/out of date - no certainly not. Technology advances very quickly with new models and features being released regularly. Unless you're happy to replace your cameras and NVR every year you will never be 'up to date'. I have plenty of systems running happily that are 10 years old now.
I've had 7 or more recorder models over the years. As for cameras, ignoring the 4 or 5 different analogue models pre IP, I've had 10 or more different IP models installed (I have some older cameras on my own system so even I'm not up to date). There will always be something new. As for updates with regard to security, a domestic user is highly unlikely to be a target so I wouldn't give this a second thought.

Last edited:
Back