01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR location, and current high temperatures

nathanb

Just a thought. My NVR is in our loft. It gets very warm as you can imagine. If we're expecting 40c Monday/Tuesday this week, are people concerned about where their NVR is located, and what general steps do you take to keep the longevity of your equipment (NVR/HDD)?

I'm wondering if it is better to turn off the NVR for the next few days and keep it from blowing up? Hik data sheet says my NVR is rated for -10 to +55º C. I won't be able to get into the loft to measure actual temperature but it could very well be reaching 50 I imagine.

Also is there somewhere to check the current temperature, or a log of temperature of the NVR over the last period? The best I could find from the admin web page is the SMART temperature for the HDD.

So did I make a mistake locating it in the loft?

Hi @nathanb

Installing NVRs in loft spaces is very common because we very rarely have experienced temperatures this extreme in the UK.

I don't believe the NVRs show an overall temperature readout, they only show the HDD temperature which is really the most important temperature. If the HDD temp is 45ºC+ then it might be a good idea to turn the NVR off until the loft temperature drops.

If these extreme temperatures are going to happen more often in the years to come, you may need to move the NVR to a cooler location or install the NVR in a small network cabinet with additional fans and cooling.

Talking of cooling, the 40mm fans they install are so loud. I guess its because they're usually in a server rack maybe? I am thinking of putting in a 120mm in mine and turning the fan off. Granted this wont help if the air temps are high around it, but it will help with the noise.

Reactions: Dan
Yes @Ultra4

Depending on where you are installing the NVR and your sensitivity to noise the NVR fans can be quite loud.

If you search for 'fan noise' and other related terms in the forum you will see plenty of discussions on this topic and several users who have replaced fans or added additional fans.

Yes @Ultra4

Depending on where you are installing the NVR and your sensitivity to noise the NVR fans can be quite loud.

If you search for 'fan noise' and other related terms in the forum you will see plenty of discussions on this topic and several users who have replaced fans or added additional fans.

Ah thank you, I'll take a look.

Reactions: Dan
Back