01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR PoE Supply Exception problem - SOLVED

paulus

I've got a Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel NVR, that's now been running for a few months since being installed with 3 PoE Hikvision Turret cameras.
Due to an odd problem with 1 camera not generating Smart Event notifications for a few days, I had to look at the NVR configuration & check the device log info which has highlighted an oddity that I'm not sure if it's a problem or not.
I've never looked before, so didn't realise it was happening previously.

Can anyone advise please ?

In the log there are repeated Yellow flagged "Exceptions" which say "PoE Power Overload" via the internet browser access to the NVR and "PoE Power Supply Exception" via direct access to a monitor coupled to the NVR.
I can't find any detail of the Exception via the internet browser access, but via the direct NVR connection, each Exception states :
Real Power : 0W
Rated Power : 0W
Channel to Close : 0
Channel No. : 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 (dependant on specific warning)
Channel Status : Disconnected.

There are seperate Exception warning for each of the 5 channels which have no camera attached.
These warnings appear as regular as clockwork almost exactly an hour apart & have been there most of the system's life, but only started about a week after the system was set-up.
Any warnings would superficially appear to indicate a fault.
But is it a fault if there's nothing attached to the relevant PoE ports ?
Should the relevant PoE ports be turned off somehow if not in use ?
(The plan is to get another 4 or 5 cameras in the next few months now I've learnt more about the system)

I'm not sure if it's anyway related, but I've also realised the System is generating "System Running Status " reports for information every 20 minutes or so & these include strange temperature information (not flagged as a fault) eg :
- "Motherboard temperature : 127" &
- "CPU temperature : 0".
The values have always been the same of the last 6 months.
However 127 looks too high unless it's maybe in Fahrenheit (=52C) ?
0 for the CPU must be an error ?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Last edited:
We have seen the POE power overload occur before.
It existed on our demo NVR last time I looked.
We've never really chased down the cause.
We don't seem to be suffering in any way.

Sorry, I have not read through thoroughly, I am catching-up on a lot of missed messages here.

There have been some seemingly significant firmware updates for cameras and NVRs recently, perhaps check the portal and update all your devices to the latest firmware, then see if the logs remain the same.

I've always had the same on my unused channels. I thought it was normal, like the NVR was "pinging" the POE channels on a regular basis and reporting that there are unused channels.

Thanks guys - sounds like nothing to worry about then.
With hindsight, the statement "Channel Status : Disconnected" could be just confirmation that it's disconnected (& always was) rather than confirmation of an action to dis-connect it.
Anyway, panic over & back to playing with Line Crossing & Intrusion Detection settings - lol

I think you'll find setting up smart events way more useful (and fun) than motion detection. Good luck.

I did discover very early on how useless Motion Detection was - Plagued with false alarms due to all sorts of stuff that they never warn you about in the basic adverts for CCTV cameras (or video doorbells for that matter).
A video doorbell was my initiation & still is set off by nextdoors car headlights, the infra-red light on 1 CCTV camera, the milkman visiting the neighbour across the road (setting his security light off), passing car headlight reflections of our car windows etc etc - lol.
I've even got to the point where I think Infra-red lighting is of minimal use since some of the moths it attracts even set off the CCTV intrusion detection occasionally since they are so large in the cameras field of view & hover for a couple of seconds. The lack of colour image also makes identifying who / what vehicle is possibly suspicious an almost impossible task.
I'm moving over to additional low level supplemental white light wherever I can.

I assume lots of basic CCTV cameras without intrusion detection & / or line crossing detection are virtually useless for any sort of security "warning" & can only be used for "evidence" after the security event has actually happened & the recordings are reviewed.

I think you're right, Paulus. These are definitely not set-it-and-forget-it systems. I've had mine up and running for maybe 4 months, and it has taken a lot of reading, experimenting, and tweaking of settings to get things the way they are now. But the reward has been a much better system with very, very few false alarms. If I get a notification I can bet my cam has picked up something real.

Back