01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR won't recognise my username and password any more after firmware upgrade

milleniumaire

I've just setup my new DS-7608NI-I2 and it was working fine, but noticed the firmware is old and was showing v4.50.000 build210125. There were two later firmware updates available.

So, I downloaded the next version of the firmware v4.50.010 build210322 and used the browser interface for the NVR to upgrade it. After the update it rebooted and I logged in using the admin user and the password I had initially set.

No problem, all worked well.

I then downloaded the next firmware upgrade v4.51.005 build210628 and went through the same firmware upgrade process. After the update it rebooted, but when I now log in using EXACTLY the same credentials it tells me the "User name or password is incorrect". Tried a couple of times but got the same response so went through the "Forgot password" process and set the password again. This made no difference and I'm still getting the same error.

I then ran SADPTool and this accepts the password!

I've tried powering off and back on, but it makes no difference.

I'm confused. What has happened and how do I login to the web application if it is rejecting the username and password I am entering? I did wonder if the "admin" username had been changed in this firmware release.

Please help.

Hi @milleniumaire

We updated our demo 7716 NVR to that same v4.51.005 firmware and we saw no issue with the password on our NVR, was your NVR password a strong password? Did it include at least 3 of the following - lowercase, uppercase, numbers, special characters?

When you went through the forgot password process did you try and do this via security question, email, etc... or did you do it using the XML reset file method? If you didn't try the XML file method then please follow these instructions and send the XML file to the supplier you bought the NVR from and they will sort out a password reset file to send back to you.

I can't really help you, but I am sure there is a bug or something in that latest v4.51 firmware. I updated one of my NVRs and had the same issue with the web interface saying invalid password. I use a password manager which auto-fills so I know I could not have mis-typed the password. But I tried again carefully manually entering as well as a cut/paste of the correct password. Always the same - rejects the login.

So my situation is this:
  • Windows 11 PC running Firefox v90.0 - I cannot login to the web interface of the NVR, it always says invalid password. Same with Chrome browser.
  • Linux PC running Firefox v90.0 - it works fine! (I didn't have Chrome there to test it).
Both browsers have same addons etc but I tried disabling all addons in the Windows PC already and still no change.

It's pretty clear that with this release (at least over the version I last had) HikVision have added a load of JavaScript effects and things to the web interface, there are fades, flashy loading icons and all sorts of things like that. Something on some PCs is causing this password/login problem.

When I am back at that site and have some time I will look at the browser developer options/console to see if there are any errors coming up in the console when it rejects the password.

Just resolved this myself, but here is the fix in case others have the same issue.

I use Google Chrome and this appears to be some sort of caching issue. After clearing the cache (for the last 24 hours) I was able to login okay.

What made me realise this was using SADPTools to change the IP address to a different value and that worked okay. I then changed it back and got the same issue.

All okay now :)

I use Google Chrome and this appears to be some sort of caching issue. After clearing the cache (for the last 24 hours) I was able to login okay.

Thank you! That was a life saver. I was not able to login after the upgrade either, even did a factory reset on the NVR. But yes, using Safari instead of Google Chrome worked.

Greets
-act

Typical - I never checked here before upgrading the firmware just now, same issues, can't access via Brave but on switching to Safari I'm in.

Thanks for posting!

I had the same issues upgrading two brand new Hik NVRs. They way I solved it by accident the first time and verifying the same method the second time is as follows. Once you get blocked from browser ONE after the the firmware is updated, now use a different browser and you will find you can login no problem. Once you have logged in successfully after the firmware upgrade you will find you can go back to the first browser and login no problem.

Back